Lake Erie Small Mouth fishing... better or worse?

Author
bald_guy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/25 11:02:19 (permalink)

Lake Erie Small Mouth fishing... better or worse?

I have been fishing lake Erie for a long time.  Mostly we simply drift fish at various depths off of either North East or Presque Isle using minnows or night crawlers for bait.   We really are catch and release fishermen and enjoy catching smallmouths on light tackle. 

Yesterday, we went to North East and spent the better part of 7 hours trying to find a smallie.  To make a long story short, most of the day was spent in the 30-50 FOW range and never had a bite.  Now, not getting a bite is an exception, but it seems to me the smallmouth bite is down from pervious years and was wondering if this is what others or seeing or a general trend. 

If you are still seeing good fish - any advice would be appreciated.   

1 Reply Related Threads

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Lake Erie Small Mouth fishing... better or worse? 2007/07/25 11:30:29 (permalink)
    This has been an off year for me.  The fish seem more spread out than in years past.  I am either catching 5#-6# fish or 13" fish.  There's no in between fish for me.  I spent 5 days on the water last week and managed 3 legal bass.  a 4# largemouth in the bay, a 3.5# largemouth and a 5# smallie from 23' in the lake.  I lost count of how many small ones I caught, however, my wife was on the bigger fish.
    Jump to: