What to do...

Author
blitz42
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 258
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/08 16:09:55 (permalink)

What to do...

I have some time off, starting this friday. I'm looking for some advice on somthing to do or somewhere to go. any suggestions, anybody want some company?

11 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 17:07:58 (permalink)
    You should help my girlfriend move on Saturday and take her out to dinner for her birthday on Easter...

That would be a big help, and much appreciated.

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 17:28:08 (permalink)
    well, i was thinking more fishing, but are those crappie in yets?
    post edited by blitz42 - 2009/04/08 17:36:12
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 18:05:04 (permalink)
    No sign yet...  But I am checking with some nightcrawlers and some small jigs everyday after work.

Water temps are still in the high 30s-low 40s so I don't expect much until we get closer to 50 or so...

I am sure they are all schooled up suspended just offshore over the 25-40ft mark, but should start showing up when we start getting some reliable sunshine.  I bet they will roll in sometime later this month.

Last year it was "on" during the Striper run- so I am still watching for Osprey on the lake which show up when the herring do.  It's funny how all the fish (minus trout and pike) seem to be waiting for 50 degree water, huh?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 18:10:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

You should help my girlfriend move on Saturday and take her out to dinner for her birthday on Easter...

While Blitz takes care of all that does that mean you can go fishin on sunday ?  Just kiddin, I'll be into the chrome this weekend..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 18:25:25 (permalink)
    NJ pull out the fly rod for those crappie simple to catch once you find em and when the black flies start they are easy on the surface with a little gnat. i'll get my wife to help your girlfriend move
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 18:49:07 (permalink)
    Hey JK!  One of these days we should fish instead of just swilling beers with Mads...  Ha!

Yeah- once the Crappie are in they are basically a joke.  Every cast brings one in.  I've just been soaking some crawlers I collected a few weeks back, figuring they don't want to chase anything when they are freezing.

Once they show up I just sit and slay 'em with the 3wt and a Copper John.  You can sightfish 'em from the dock.

Last year they disappeared for about a week mid-May and we found them across the lake while my buddy was over here with his little boat (mine was in the shop all last Spring- glad I found a new mechanic for the tough stuff).  The whole school was there.  But then they came back to my shoreline a few days later and stuck around until things got reliably warm.  It was odd.  Not sure why they scooted like that.

Some of the crappie are really good size:

PS:  JK, the "O" got stocked this week according to my buddy.  We should meet up after 5pm in my office parking lot one of these days and take a walk.  You know where it's at!  I missed a nice one right in front of me last week, must have come from upstream or hung in the big pool all winter.  He was pretty chunky and I would like another shot at it!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 19:27:02 (permalink)
    NICE CRAP!!!

ok that came out bad... nice fish
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 19:55:11 (permalink)
    NJ-Fridays are great for me normally get out a little earlier, but am usually around your office at the latest at 530, taking a break from hendrickson tying, lost 2 fly boxes last year, but am difinatly up for the O or anything right now.

Tried smallie fishing last weekend couldn't keep my fly in the water. the mohawk this time of year is tough to beat when its on, looking to find some places on the mohawk around albany, its an 1+ ride to my old stomping grounds.

Learned to fly fish to crappies though do they boil on your like in late april. Used to go to a small lake where there would be a school of crappies just boiling on the surface, good times.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/08 21:18:54 (permalink)

I'm the anti-Jimmy this weekend LOL .... wife will be gone for days , I'M ON MY OWN !!! Well not really with 3 dogs LOL
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/09 06:42:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Girlfriend........her title has been escalated...
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: What to do... 2009/04/09 08:15:53 (permalink)
    We've already been through this, Ship!  After six months, the State of New York now lists her as a "Commonlaw Girlfriend" and there is nothing I can do about it.  But it's not exacltly common knowledge around the office.

You know: "Fishing off the company pier" is risky business!

Jump to: