Whip Finisher

Author
smallhook
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/23 22:27:32 (permalink)

Whip Finisher

I learned how to whip finish the flies I am tying without a tool but a friend of mine told me that I should be using a tool because it does it better.  Is there any truth to that?

5 Replies Related Threads

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Whip Finisher 2007/07/23 23:31:17 (permalink)
    I too use my fingers to whip finish. That was the way I was taught at the fly tying class I took. As long as you are able to lay the thread where you want it, I don't see the extra expense of another tool. Also if you have to whip finish at the bend of a long shanked hook since I don't know if they make a finisher that will work.
    ElonDO-fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Whip Finisher 2007/07/24 17:00:04 (permalink)
    I also whip finish with my fingers.  I have watched fly tying videos where they talk about a hand whip finish being more versatile than a tool whip finish.  I guess as long as your careful with how the thread lays you shouldn't have much of a problem I wouldn't think.  I've never heard if a tool finish is better than a finger finish though.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Whip Finisher 2007/07/24 17:04:52 (permalink)
    If your all thumbs like me get a whip finisher. You can get a good one for under $6.00 at any fly shop or mail order house. Pratice on a bare hook untill you master it then you can whip them out in no time flat. They make a longer one for whip finishing farther back on the hook in you need to. Get the type with the rotating handle its a piece of cake.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Whip Finisher 2007/07/24 20:40:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: smallhook

I learned how to whip finish the flies I am tying without a tool but a friend of mine told me that I should be using a tool because it does it better.  Is there any truth to that?

First of all, the tool won't do any better job than what you're doing now.
    My hands get pretty beat up at work and I end up fraying the thread using my fingers. Now, i use a tool out of necessity. I have a shorty and one with an extended reach.

Gone Fishing
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Whip Finisher 2007/08/02 03:09:02 (permalink)
    anyone needs a whip finisher let me know we have a sale going on I can get you them for 2 dollars and they are good. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Jump to: