Fishing Business

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/29 17:26:58 (permalink)

Fishing Business

With the expectation of paying a lot more in taxes in the future to pay for the bailouts, I got to thinking.  I've never tried to sell any of the fish I catch and wasn't even aware you could until the bozo's got caught on Lake George or Champlain last year but it got me thinking.  Not sure where its legal to catch fish & sell them but what if you claimed it as a business.  You could write off all your fishing tackle, transportation costs, etc as expenses, declare a loss for the year on your income tax and save tons of money.  I think you can have a business for 7 years before it has to declare a profit or go bust.  Waddya think?

15 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/29 18:06:08 (permalink)
    Not 100%, and too lazy to check, but I think you can only write off $3000 in losses per year. 

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/29 18:13:50 (permalink)
    Big Brother is no brother , not even an uncle  nuff said

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/29 18:16:39 (permalink)
    Here is what the regs say on salable fish and I think it is 3 years before you have to show a profit to a business at least it uses to be....

Purchase and sale
    Fish that are salable at any time include:

•Those species in the STATEWIDE ANGLING REGULATIONS table for which there is no closed season or no minimum length.
    •Fish taken on licensed fishing preserves. These fish must be properly tagged prior to removal from preserve premises.
    •The following fish only if taken outside of New York or if legally taken in licensed commercial gear: coho, chinook and pink salmon, Atlantic salmon, lake trout, whitefish, pickerel, crappie, northern pike and walleye. Additional regulations may apply to the sale of these imported fish; contact a DEC Regional Office for more information. Exception: the American eel is the only fish taken from the Quebec portion of Lake Champlain and the Richelieu River that may be transported into and sold in New York State.
    Fish that are non-salable, unless taken on a licensed fishing preserve or private hatchery and properly tagged, include black bass, landlocked salmon, muskellunge and trout.

Exceptions:
    Sale of catfish taken in Lake Ontario and its tributaries upstream to the first barrier and in the St. Lawrence River is prohibited. Sale of American eel from Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence, Hudson, Harlem and East Rivers is prohibited except for use as bait. Sale of coho, chinook and pink salmon taken in Lake Erie, Niagara River, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River and their tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassable by fish is prohibited except that eggs may be bought and sold.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/29 18:26:19 (permalink)
    Craig you can take timothy Geithner with you fishing! He'll show you how to prepare for tax season!

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/29 18:27:29 (permalink)
    Eagle Crg:

The way you fish there would be no problem of showing a loss after 5, 10, 15, 20 years of fishing.  The only fish you catch on the Salmon River are those you foul hook or snag.
    Maybe you should start a hunting program where you could shoot evergreens to sell as Christmas trees.  Last year I know you got at least one evergreen during deer season.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/03/29 19:47:35
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 14:25:01 (permalink)
    OK I'm dying here
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 14:30:25 (permalink)
    I have a funny feeling that I would really enjoy fishing with Ed...

You, my inner'net friend, are HILARIOUS!!!

I can only assume you must be pretty good friends with Craig, huh?

Although, around here we tend to use the term "friend" quite loosely, huh fellas? 

I think I need to throw a party soon to get everyone back on the same page. 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 16:52:41 (permalink)
    ohh yeah, i'd be up for another party. As long as perch inc. cooks!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 19:04:49 (permalink)
    EC, you got me thinking, suppose I wanted to register as a fishing guide in the catskill region, you can hire me and i'll be able to writeoff all my tackle /boat/fuel /toll receipts/three square meals a day/supplies etc.. In return  and you can be my hired guide where ever region you fish and bingo! We get on with our lives as professional  fishing partners!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 19:36:34 (permalink)
    and after you spend thousands per year on income taxes, licenses, tackle, gear & equipment , you can go on the internet and give all your information away for free. 

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 19:59:58 (permalink)
    lol, yeah just keep passing along the good things in life right? rj, I feel sorry for the next generation , all I hear on CNN is "they" want to take away our second amendment. Like wisdom mentioned, you give these hypocrites an inch and they'll take a foot and soon after that there is no keeping "them" honest. 

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 20:19:27 (permalink)
    OK I'm gonna duck on this one after i post it - I looked at part the the new budget and found this - before you reply give me a sec. to pull the sandbags over me ...

No more tax rebate checks to residents, although the STAR exemption program and NYC STAR credit will continue to provide $3.3 billion in property tax relief.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/budget_1262115___article.html/new_includes.html

About 3/4 the way down ....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 20:41:47 (permalink)

Oh boy, blitz you want worms ? I'm going to open a whole can now....
    79, PLEASE don't take it personal or directed toward anyone BUT>>>> I can't take it any longer.
    I too feel sorry for the next generation , It is a now generation, shame but true. CNN, how can people watch that media crap.
    Big Problem here .. I am an elected official, vice president for local union #429, untied steel workers. I will be running for president on April 7 2009.
    I hear that crap all the time, they & them. You know what I say, “YOU” are the union, I only work for you. Last I knew we lived in a democratic country. "They" are elected by "us" and "we" make "them" decide the laws & regulations.
    Problem is too many of "us" don't want to get involved so "they" make the decisions for "us" and "we" point the finger at "them"

I have walked many picket lines, protested many laws & regulations, negotiated a few contracts, sat in on plenty of environmental meetings and you know what , it's sad how many people sit on their hands until "they" pass a law which "we" could have changed. Only then people begin to speak their minds. It does NO good unless it is a directed focus toward involvement. NOBODY wants to get involved. That’s what’s sad for the next generation.

"they" don't want to take away our second amendment, "we" are letting "them" have it.

"I’ll" shut up now....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 20:44:44 (permalink)
    Only one thing right now comes to my mind after seeing that force http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwjOZ7VDhA

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Business 2009/03/30 21:15:15 (permalink)
    This is why I enjoy this place, well done force, RJ and I were just expressing the "love" that's all around  haha just kidding rj ..and agree i'll not llow politics to spoil a good crew on board ,man it is windy today hope tomorrow that high pressure settles 
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/31 07:57:26

Jump to: