"Big Fish Friday" on Versus

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/27 22:16:43 (permalink)

"Big Fish Friday" on Versus

It seems as though nearly every Friday morning I wake up and turn on the television as I am getting ready to work, and inevitably I end up sitting on the couch watching the endless Friday fishing shows on Versus Network.

Then I immediately begin to wonder how I can skip work and watch television all day long.  I tend to be a steady 15min late for work each Friday- go figure...

Tonight is more of the same.  "Big Fish Friday" is awesome...  I don't hit the bars anymore like I did in my 20s, and Suzi is grumpy today, so laying in bed and enjoying a marathon of fishing shows is about as good as it gets!

So here is the question I pose to you, friends:

Which show is the best?

Mine?  Well, since you asked (oh wait, no one asked) here are my takes on a few:

1.  "Hunt For Big Fish":  In my opinion, this show absolutley rules.  Larry Dahlberg is sort of a personal hero of mine ever since I caught my first flyrod smallie on an improvised "Dahlberg Diver" back in the early 80s...  Dahlberg is one of those types of guys that I would love to share a boat with and crack a few cold ones and hear about his fishing adventures.  He fishes for 'em ALL!  From Muskies, to Nile Perch, to Wolfish- he is one tough S.O.B!

2.  "City Limits":  Mike Iaconelli is sort of like a thread on the rising cost of fishing licenses- he evokes a lot of different reactions from different people.  Back when he was a popular pro tourney fisherman- the term "Going Ike" always cracked me up.  I, for one, think he's a riot.  He used to drive me NUTS, but the idea of a show on 'urban fishing' is pretty cool, and there is no doubt he man likes to catch fish!  Tonight he was slaying nice Smallies in Nashville, and it's hard not to think he is REALLY that excited each time he gets one.  While many people hate the guy, he did finally win me over last year.  He really shook things up on the BassMasters Tour when he was younger.   I think I am still guilty of "Going Ike" now and then when a smallie goes airborne.

3.  "The Best and Worst of Tred Barta":  This might ruffle some feathers, but I am hoping that a big Cabo San Lucas swordfish jumps in the boat one of these days and takes Tred with him as it exits the other side.  I guess I don't know exactly what it is about that show- but that dude is a little too much.  Maybe I am just feeling threatened because he talks even more than *I* do!   But still- he seems like kind of a dolt.  

The ESPN shows on Saturday morning are pretty cool too.  I am beginning to become a pretty big fan of the "Worlds Greatest Fishing Show" because Mark Zona is friggin' HILARIOUS...  Last week he was dancing around the boat singing an impromptu version of the SNL skit "D--k In A Box" by Justin Timberlake...  Except Zona was singing "Put Your Fish In the Box" as he dumped another 4lb Largie in the baitwell...  Cracks me up.

Just curious if anyone else watches these shows on Friday nights or Saturday mornings...  On a side note, I sometimes wish Charlie Moore ("Beat Charlie Moore") shared the same boat with Barta when the swordfish jumps in- so they could both go into the briny together.

But then again, the dude plays a mean blues harmonica- and he seems to get to fish and jam with some of my favorite musicians.  So maybe he's alright afterall.  He is, after all, the "Mad Fisherman"!

Anyone else got any favorite fishing shows or those they can't stand?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

19 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 22:43:04 (permalink)
    #1 City Limits Mike's COOL!!!!!!  #2 The Best and Worst of Tred Barta didn't like him at first but he good!!! #3 Hunt For Big Fish just wish I had the $$$$$ This Guys DO!!! We all could be on TV!!! Catching Monster PERCH!!!   

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 22:46:38 (permalink)
    1.  "Hunt For Big Fish":  In my opinion, this show absolutley rules.  Larry Dahlberg is sort of a personal hero of mine ever since I caught my first flyrod smallie on an improvised "Dahlberg Diver" back in the early 80s...  Dahlberg is one of those types of guys that I would love to share a boat with and crack a few cold ones and hear about his fishing adventures.  He fishes for 'em ALL!  From Muskies, to Nile Perch, to Wolfish- he is one tough S.O.B!

I like this show as well, he catches some crazy fish. I'm not watching tonight (caught up in March Madness) SU just got thier****kicked .  Dahlberg goes to some real out of the way places. Last week was the trip where he got dysentery and lost 15lbs in a week  ... he does seem pretty cool though.

Not a big fan of Tred Barta, and Iaconelli seems ok, just don't like the whole yelling and screaming thing.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 22:52:29 (permalink)
    Yeah Brian...  I was flippin' back and forth to the SU game too...  But couldn't bear to watch much more!

I wish Jim Boehiem has his own fishing show...  He could kick the CRAP out of Hank Parker, I bet!!!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 22:57:24 (permalink)
    I think Hank Parker show has got real lame over the years.

I did forget Shaw Grigsby ... i think he is a awesome dude, in fact i got a chance to meet him and chat for a min at the Rockland show last month. Super nice, down to earth guy. I like how he is always having fun out there and doesn't mind showing off the smaller fish.

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 22:57:47 (permalink)
    I have WFN (World Fishing Network) through Dish TV Network. That's fishing shows 24/7... very addicting. I usually record on my DVR for future showings. There is a show called "Fishing the Flats" with Henry Waszcuk on WFN that I like alot. I also enjoy these shows: "Trout Unlimited" on Outdoor Channel, "Familar Waters" on Outdoor Channel, "World of Saltwater Fishing" on FSN and my favorite, "Spanish Fly" on ESPN.
    My dislikes...anothertime.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/27 23:21:34 (permalink)
    Henry Waszcuk is as cool as they come Beerman...  He is kind of a local celebrity in my old stoping grounds of Everglades City, FL...  I have actually played pool against him in the "Chickee Bar" back around 2000 or so.  In fact, I beat him!   He bought me a beer and everything...  I've got a signed photo he got out of his van for me.

One weekend he was fishing the 10,000 Islands with Guy Harvey and they were both hanging out for a few days.  On an island of 600 residents (mostly commercial fisherman and former smugglers), I think they liked that no one seemed to care much how famous they are or how many fish they catch.  No one batted an eye except me!

Guy Harvey knows a lot of guys in that town- and rumor has it he was locked away in Homestead himself for awhile in the early 80s!  I can't confirm that, but I can say he was a super nice guy... 

On another note, I think Flip Pallet should be riding a moped instead of a Harley...  He was in E-City a lot too.

Makes me miss those days in SW Florida...  But Hurricane Wilma was about all I could stand...  Safer here!!!

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 07:15:50 (permalink)
    i also have dish network and with a hundred hours on my dvr to fill up, i have about 50 hours of Hunt For Big Fish, World's Greatest Fishing Show, and The Next Bite.
    There's no other show like hunt for big fish, just seeing the places he goes to and the bizarre types of fish in the world is awesome (like the 8 foot Amazon Catfish). Mark Zona is a lunatic, and has to be one of the funniest most entertaining show's IMO. many find him annoying but I relate to his wackiness.
    and the Next Bite, well they target Pike and Musky (also Walleye) and Pike are my favorite fish.
    As for Shaw Grigsby, Sometimes it seems like a half hour****s Info-mercial, But i still enjoy it and it's fun seeing how high his voice can get when he gets a big fish.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 07:50:55 (permalink)

Great Thread Jimmy:

up a little late this morning stayed up sippin magic hats and watching fishing shows last night.

Larry was great last night , you see all those old lures he had ? man that brought back some memories. Wolfe Fish, that dude is psyco..He takes fishing to the extreme.
    Any way I used to go nuts over all those outdoor shows but in the past years seldom watch the. Versus really sucks, If you ever seen any of the other stations (which I don't get) such as the outdoor network they blow versus and espn away. a lot more trout and stream fishing.
    I may not be able to remember the shows names but here are (were) my favorites.

1. Rod & Reel Streamside: This used to be on PBS and was about local NY
    The host Don Meissner was a classic, kinda goofy but sure made it simple for folks.

2.North To Alaska : Larry Zonka is another heel and there is more outdoors footage then actual fishing but for some of us who never been to Alaska It works for me.

3.Hunt For Big Fish: I could not stand Larry Dahlberg when he was with In Fisherman show but His own show is great. The guy is pretty loaded with $$ to be fishing every part of the world. Makes me jealous.

4. Tred Barta:I like watching him hunt more then fish, doing it the hard way, hand made arrows, stone arrow heads and the long bow , the barta way. The guy is NUTS, going to Kodiak island after grizzly bear.. Hope is back up is might good shot .

after that not much that I still get interested in.
    City Limits drives me crazy, I'd love to see Mike Iaconelli run and gun right into a rock jetty (LOL) he over reacts too much for me.
    All those bassmaster fishermen past & present , they are another tough watch .. whew we there Son, that’s a 5,6,7 pounder right there (yea right which is it )

Ok I need to get going to the swap before all the good stuff is gone....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 09:19:04 (permalink)
    ESPN 2  has bass masters elite series 100k tourment! woohoo , wish i could do that for a living! what's the entry fee? I got to pick me some crawlers later tonight.. situate my  open water and stream tackle this weekend. 

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 22:26:50 (permalink)
    highlights are what it's all about, I shared a similiar experience tuna trip with 40- 50lb yellowfins check this clip . talk about sea monsters ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvjYohS55w&NR=1

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 22:37:36 (permalink)
    Wait a sec.. you got to see this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLxo-HH7F70&feature=related

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/28 22:44:11 (permalink)
    This may be to graphic you been warned!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP_oS-gqYQU&NR=1

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 00:13:49 (permalink)
    TWC - OLN - Outdoor Life Network - and the "IN-Fisherman" with Al & Ron Linder  !
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 00:44:14 (permalink)
    Here's a link to one of my favorites--I used to watch these guys online before they got on OLN.  You
    can download their previous shows and watch them for free:

http://www.gettinghooked.net/Home%20Page.htm
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 06:36:18 (permalink)
    Thanks EC, enjoying episode 11,2009 steelhead in GL tribs..nice flick.. this is what interestsme.. yesterday bass tourament in tx for worldclass huge LGB was awesome too.. alot of the fishing shows today can be enjoyable but some of them are too giddy and corny also I tend to switch them off if the sponsors use too many dumb commercials. This link you shared is cool though. cheers

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 06:48:24 (permalink)
    yeah force, always enjoy watching those flicks too.cheers

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 13:53:24 (permalink)
    "The Next Bite" is a sweet one...  I forgot about that one...  Sweet pike fishing on that show!

It must be a Niskayuna thing or something, huh ILikePike?

Al Linder?  I guess he's alright (just like Tred Barta- I seem to like to whine about him, but never change the channel!) but sometimes he can a little preachy.  I prefer my bible thumping seperate from my angling

Lastly, what about Babe Winkelman?  I pretty much grew up on "Good Fishing" and as a kid I thought he was the greatest fisherman ever.  I think I was fascinated by walleye or something.  Now that I live on a walleye lake I don't seem to hold Babe in as high regard.  The mystique of those Wallies sort of diminished after catching the first few.  I like my fish like prizefighters- strong and ****ed off...

Wallies are kinda' wimpy...  And Babe never seems to wanna' leave Rainey Lake...  He's been around forever though.  I wish he'd pike fish more.
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/03/29 14:10:50

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 14:39:08 (permalink)
    how about this classic who I think started the whole revolution.
    Jerry McKinnis

44 years of bring us to the outdoors via TV. Man the Fishin' Hole was great.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: "Big Fish Friday" on Versus 2009/03/29 17:19:30 (permalink)
    I don't care much for the competition fishing shows.  To me that's not what its all about.  I like the more recreational shows like North to Alaska, Babe Winkleman is OK, and I do enjoy Larry Dahlberg too.  I don't care for Ike Iconelli at all--way too intense for me.  Seems to me that the ONLY thing he is interested in is the limit--probably doesn't allow beer on his boat either!  And yeah Tuna, Jerry McKinnis was tops.  He was like the Fred Bear of the fishing world.  Doing it way before everyone else and I like his attitude--strictly recreational.  
    Jump to: