State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes

Author
REEL FORCE
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/24 23:59:34 (permalink)

State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/state_1261991___article.html/license_conservation.html

Here we go again ....

20 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/25 00:23:33 (permalink)
    Future conversation between father and son...

"Dad can we go fishing?"

"Sorry son I can't take you fishing because I was one of the 9000 state workers Paterson laid off. So with that and the tax increases I can't afford to pay the extra $10 for a fishing license."

Paterson and the leaders of this state are a joke. They have turned this once great state into a laughing stock for the rest of the country.

It won't raise what they say because the casual sportman/woman won't pay the elevated price for something he/she will only use a couple times. And I know you hardcore guys are saying "Good more room for me." but think about it. That casual sportsman/woman may had took his/her's kid fishing and in turn that kid comes to appreciate the environment and becomes a hardcore sportsman and helps preserve the environment for future generations like we try to do. Now, what if that kid doesn't get to go fishing, he/she doesn't become a hardcore sportsman/woman that looks out for the environment but instead becomes the developer who just plowed over your favorite fishing hole to build a 200 unit condo complex because what does he/she care, they don't fish.

Well, that is how I see. I'm sure others will see it differently...
                                    Tight Lines Mates, Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/03/25 13:23:17

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/25 15:33:39 (permalink)
    The ONLY thing that these TAXES HIKES are going to do is make the honest fishing man/woman NOT BUY A LICENSE Ever AGAIN!!!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! Seems like Patterson wants to tax all the THINGS He Can't DO!!!! Golf/Bowling and How Outdoor Sports!!!!! What's next Sking/Boating/Hiking!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    mcasefish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/25 17:27:27 (permalink)
    This state as much as I love the outdoor opportunities it offers is quickly becoming a state the neither I or my children will soon be able to afford. Wisdom you are right all this will do is keep the occasional sportsmen from introducing our passions to the next generation. If you think about all the hidden taxes we pay on a daily basis.
    * Building Permit Tax * Capital Gains Tax * CDL license Tax * Cigarette Tax * Dog License Tax * Federal Income Tax * Fishing License Tax * Gasoline Tax * Hunting License Tax * Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money) * Liquor Tax * Local Income Tax * Luxury Taxes * Marriage License Tax * Medicare Tax * Property Tax * Real Estate Tax * Service Charge Taxes * Social Security Tax * Sales Taxes * Recreational Vehicle Tax * Road Toll Booth Taxes * School Tax * State Income Tax * Telephone federal excise tax * Telephone federal universal service fee tax * Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes * Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax * Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax * Telephone state and local tax * Telephone usage charge tax * Toll Bridge Taxes * Toll Tunnel Taxes * Trailer Registration Tax * Utility Taxes * Vehicle License Registration Tax * Vehicle Sales Tax * Watercraft Registration Tax And this not even a complete list we are paying a upwards of 44% now the gov't won't be happy till they control it all.

Sorry about the rant but increasing fee's for our limited recreation does not seem fair when they have so many other ways to and do collect monies, and spend it for their mostly porkish projects.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/25 18:34:36 (permalink)
    well I know this is not going to be popular but I for 1 wrote to the DEC and supported a $10.00 across the board license increase. Meaning a 10.00 increase in the sportsman or super sportsman combos or a $5.00 increase in a single use license. To me this made a ton more sense then a trout stamp, marine stamp and an increase or fee to in our senior or disabled outdoors people.

If you look at the increase you also must notice the $10.00 decrease in the 1 day fee, that 15.00 fee was just ridiculous to the person who may hire a single day charter to fish.

Another reason I supported this increase is (hope) there will be funding to support our fisheries, dec and education programs.
    Now I know everyone is SICK of hearing about taxes and rate hikes but
    A few questions I put to you members:

1.Is a $10.00 increase toward an already very low license fees compared to other states too much ? (check out the fees in Maine for example)
    at $68.00 in New York for a super sportsman license I could legally take 3 deer (without a doe permit add that free permit and it may be 5) , shoot 4 turkeys, many small game & fish thousands of miles of water taking my fill of legally caught fish. pretty cheap if you ask me for the enjoyment I got.

2. Would you not rather pay the increase and have our Seniors & Veterans be hit with a fee ?

3. Are you serious, for the cost of a six pack of (good) beer are you willing to not buy a license and poach game ?

4.The fisheries and DEC enforcement need money, (assuming it goes where it should) Are you willing to watch jobs fall, fishing and hunting opportunities go by the way side while we watch poachers stealing our resource and sport, I personally see enough on the great lakes .

Again I'm being straight forward and expressing my thoughts..

P.S.

I think that there SHOULD be a trail license fee for hiking on maintained DEC marked trails. Who do you think pays for that now, us fishers & hunters.

post edited by hot tuna - 2009/03/25 18:58:12

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/25 20:47:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

If you look at the increase you also must notice the $10.00 decrease in the 1 day fee, that 15.00 fee was just ridiculous to the person who may hire a single day charter to fish.

I can see where that would be an advantage for someone who gets paid $200 or $300 a day for guide/charter service.

Point is where does it stop? Fees for camping in some State Parks quietly went up $2 to $3 per day last year. I camped about 20 days lasts year, thats an extra $40 to $60 I had to pay on top of huge gas prices. Now I get to pay more for a license? B*LL****!!! Continuing increases are going to price some of us out of the sport and in turn put business that we support in jeopardy too. So yeah it is a buck here and a buck there but it adds up. Somebody needs to look at the long term affects.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    mcasefish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 03:19:17 (permalink)
    Hot tuna I agree with you. The problem is the monies hardly ever go where they should, seems some politician always have their special agendas where they like to waste money. I just think waste should be controlled before increases and new taxes are levied. Also I have heard the argument about hikers and the such paying for use of the trails and such.  I think we should really think about that.The Conservation Fund Advisory Council was set up for the license buying public so that our interests are upheld along with good stewardship and sound environmental policies. If everyone has to purchase license you open the door to people like P.E.T.A and such to start having a say also...

Just my opinion

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 09:18:49 (permalink)
    I do not support an idiot as blind as a bat, that jerk can never appreciate what peace we see in freedom.. and new york city will always be a crumbling city with huge liabilities. At least we had what we had and we see what is coming. Just enjoy it until you no longer find it enjoyable! jmho
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/26 15:20:26

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 10:34:56 (permalink)
    I think paterson being blind can't understand the beauty we see in our great outdoors.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/26 15:41:53

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 20:03:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Wisdom

I can see where that would be an advantage for someone who gets paid $200 or $300 a day for guide/charter service.

first of all is NO advantage to the guide or charter service,I don't pay license fees for clients,  don't know where the ax to grind there is. The Advantage is to the person who does not fish on a regular basis and must pay only slightly less for someone who does. The hope & theory of a single day fee (kinda like the FREE fishing days) is they may like the sport enough to buy a season license which will further support the fishery.

Please sit back and really think about this:
    I'll stick with fishing only because that seems the most popular.
    increase from $19.00 to $29.00 for 365 days of fishing NY waters.
    that equates to less then a 3 cent per day increase. making the fishing license cost of just less the 8 cents per day. And means .56 cents per week.
    Now lets say an average angler fishes 10 times a year, yea I know all us posters here are REAL fishermen, but lets just say for kicks. That equates to $2.90 per outing. Now lets just say they fish 10hrs per outing, just to keep it simple ya know. That equates to .29 cents per hour.
    NOW who in the He!! here is going to work for .29cents per hr. ? But wait it's fishing right, not work. Where do most of the fish in NY come from ? the stork ? Oh yea they were always there, it's my right to hunt and fish.
    Well sorry to say the industrial revolution and all that modernization was there before too, right ? The things we have today (ah the internet we gladly pay for) changed the face of this earth forever.
    Why would one not want to pay slightly more to protect our privilege, yea sporting is a privilege not a right.

Now for those cash strapped and think it's too much to pay:
    There are thousands of filthy rich PIGS who litter these lands in NY state with their .05 cent bottle returns. Drive along any highway and one could easily pick up the .03 cent difference per day in bottle returns. But shoot that means a little involvement and it may seem easier to POACH .
    Well again I am putting my efforts toward poachers, I submitted to the DEC my support in raising the fines for wildlife violations. I feel they are WAY to soft and need to be hitting people hard : first offence min. $200.00 fine , second $500.00 & loss of privileges for 5 years , 3rd offence , $1,000 fine loss of all related equipment (including vehicles) and revoke all license privileges for life in NY. After all it is theft and of not only my moneys but all license holders, to me thats grand larceny.

So if you still can stand to read more, I have more:
    Now who here fishes for free ?
    I do, I fish the Hudson river, not as much as I used to but it's right down stream from my trib behind my house.You know what it costs me to fish there ?  $0.00 . What do I get from that ? I get a (used to be ) NY state class bass fishery, ocean run striped bass, ocean run shad,  all the catfish & bullhead one could ever wish to haul in & just think my kids would fish for hours only having me re-bait their hook on those white perch. If thats the only fishing one was to do then what more could one ask.

State Parks :
    Hummm , let me thinks on this........ whats the rate now ? Well I just pulled some receipts from last year. Rates Vary depending on location and facilities. Here , Selkirk Shores, water & Electric 10/5>10/10=6days in the park $104.00 , 6 friggen days, try a private park at $40.00 + a day.
    Wilmington Notch, yea it increased to $16.00 an nite whew, that hot shower alone was worth that.
    Here we go , Rollins Pond, well 6/9>6/14 = $108.00 what did I get out of that ?
    But wait, How many times did I camp on State land for free ? even fish our darn waters only to pay my fishing license cost ? I'll bet more then most just fish in a year ?

Come on lets be real, it's there for our use , it's what you decide to make of it. A small increase only secures that it will remain for our (my) grandchildren....

Enough said and I have said enough.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 21:49:15 (permalink)
    Well said RJ
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 21:52:22 (permalink)
    Tuna, I like numbers. You said "that 15.00 fee was just ridiculous to the person who may hire a single day charter to fish" That $10 decrease is a little over 66.6% or 3% of the $300 they are paying you for a day charter. Where the $10 increase is to a regular fishing license is a little over 52.5%. Moffit Beach increase from $15 to $18 that is 20%, Selkirk $18 up to $20 that is a little over 11% increase. So your saying that guy that don't fish alot or support the adjacent economy deserves a discount where the guy that fishes more and does support the adjacent economy should pay even more. Hmmmm, I say stick it too the part timers. That's what you do to tourist and aren't part timers really just tourists?
    Anyways, my point on the other hand was "Where do the increases stop?" The last license increase of $4 was what? 2 years ago? If you follow trend that would make the next increase what about $16 making a fishing license $45? Then the next $22 making it $67? and so on. Guess that guy is going to have to pick up alot of cans. Oh wait, he is to busy looking for a job to feed his family because he just got laid off because some rich guy who only fishes once a year needed a bailout.
    And if you think this money is going into the conservation fund for our benifit, your not a very smart fishy (or maybe just naive). There is not even an accounting of where the consevation fund money is being spent. In fact the money from the sale of the pheasant farm is slated to go to the general fund and not back the conservantion fund where it came from in the first place. This increase won't add to the DEC budget or secure that it is here in the future for our grandchildren, just reduce the amount coming from the general fund.
    I'd love to continue to debate this but I'm am really going tired of it. I'll just say this "If you give them and inch they will take a mile and when that isn't enough they will take a pound of flesh too."
    Tight Lines Mates, Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/03/26 21:56:28

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 22:02:40 (permalink)
    Wait a second here... 

Fish don't come from storks? 

Oh man, I better start reading better literature. 

When my boss finds out about this they are going to start looking for a new Ecologist.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/26 22:07:21 (permalink)
    Wait a second here... 

Fish don't come from storks? 

They DO ... as a by-product  LOL !!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 08:58:20 (permalink)
    My friends,it's best to have some facts.
    Facts I have, If you notice in the last page of the fishing regulations handbook you will see a list of names,  Fishing Funding Management:
    My Uncle & children's Godfather is listed and serves on that board. Unpaid..
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fr08fundfish.pdf
    Also another of my good friends is also listed in many publications as Regional Fisheries Biologist , Region # 5 .  I was also very good friends with Past DEC Commissioner Mike Zagata. What does that mean ? Not much except I can relate some facts.
    It is printed in Fact where the money comes from and goes to.
    The General funding, is NOT from our license fees nor does our license fees go into the general funds.
    If these license fees do not increase then it WILL impact how our fisheries are managed because obviously there will be less money put toward our outdoor programs from the general funds.
    Again GENERAL FUNDS are not just dedicated to our sport and license fees DON"T go in the general fund, the Conservation Funding (from our license fees IS)
    May just seem like smoke & mirrors but those are the facts or with that published as such it would be Fraud.

Now I only get paid "IF" I'm hired, it's not a requirement but a choice. A license to fish most waters IS a requirement. Again the lower 1 day fee is to try and get our people involved in the sport. Same as the Free fishing days, I don't really see the point of turning people away.

Last License increase was in 2002, not 2 years ago.
    On May 16, 2002, the NYS legislature approved a license fee increase package. It went from $14.00 to $19.00 and the same cries of foul were heard then. Before that it was $9.00 and i would have to dig out my old license for the previous increase, really no point.
    Yes in 1 aspect I totally agree with you and as I first said I supported a $5.00 increase to single licenses and a $10.00 across the board for combo licenses, well it looks like the increase is just above 50%. But still worth the cost for what we now receive. Again the obvious is less money will come from the general funds so the short fall falls on our shoulders as license holders , a weight as a resident NY sportsman I'm willing to carry.  Remember when there were no 2 year old trout stocked in NY ? in 1995 we sportsman along with comish Zagata were what made that happen (it cost over twice as much to raise 2 year olds)
    The yields in which the fishing industry, (tackle shops, lodge owners and tourism ) was amazing. Just look at the Ausable river, it's always packed with fishermen.That river does not sustain a holdover population but yet there are always big trout to be had there, must be the stork thing.  

Hummm. now I lost my train of thought.....

Oh yea where will it stop ?
    sorry but if our DEC continues to operate in the Red I don't think anyone can answer that. Again if you look at NY compared to other state license fees I still think we are getting the biggest bang for our $$.
    There have been NO cut backs in the current sportfishing programs, awesome news, YES there have been talks of cuts in our state parks system, bad news but as said they are from the GENERAL FUNDING.

So there is a choice, support our programs and buy the licenses or choose to fish the free waters which are available. If one decides not to support the fisheries and license sales drop largely then in the long run everyone suffers. The choice to fish required waters without a license is not an option.

at this I rest my case..........

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 10:49:23 (permalink)

My friends,it's best to have some facts.
    Facts I have, If you notice in the last page of the fishing regulations handbook you will see a list of names,  Fishing Funding Management:
    My Uncle & children's Godfather is listed and serves on that board.
    Facts? I was just making up as I go along. Here is some facts. This is just a couple pieces of the whole testimony.

JANUARY 13, 2009
    Testimony of the New York State Conservation Council, Inc.
    Presented by President Harold Palmer
    Before the Environmental Conservation Committee Hearing
    On the Implementation of the 2009 Environmental Conservation Budget

The spending of sportsmen's dollars in the Conservation Fund has not been accounted for. I asked Judith Enck for a breakdown of where our money was spent. She did not have one; DEC Commissioner Grannis does not receive one, and the CFAB does not receive one. The only report available is a pie chart, which can be found in the CFAB report. If no one knows what the money is spent on, how can anyone say the Conservation Fund is in the red?

The proposed $10 Trout and Salmon Stamp: We oppose this unless the money goes into a dedicated account for raising and stocking trout and salmon. After the Pheasant Farm closing, we no longer trust the Governor’s office and Budget to keep the fish hatcheries open.

Ok Tuna maybe your family and friends can tell us where the money goes. President Harold Palmer's testimony seems to contradict some of your "facts".
    You said "Again the lower 1 day fee is to try and get our people involved in the sport." As far as "Your people" that might get involved in the sport, I rather a father be able to afford to take his kids so they might get involved in the sport. Fishing has always been a relatively inexpensive sport. A hook, line and piece of bait. A $10 increase to die-hards is no big thing, but given the current economic state, to someone just coming into it or the guy who wants to take his kids fishing, it just may be a deterrent.

Tight Lines Mates...Cheers

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 11:08:05 (permalink)

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 14:15:57 (permalink)
    now I'm just bustin stones and really this is all silly. We are all on the same page here and if you really read the whole statement by Mr. Palmer you will clearly see that He only re-instates MY facts. Also If the entire 101 pages submitted to the conservation council were read (i have) then one could see the work involved from the DEC, work that costs $$. Mr. Palmer's statement is a bit outdated seeing as the Pheasant farm was not closed and was due to the legal issues presented by Mr. Palmer. That was a bad move on Patterson (believe me I have no respect for him) and with the efforts of the Advisory board and Conservation Council it was stopped. Personally I think it should be closed but that is here nor there. As for the financial report, that was asked to be produced on or before Jan. 2009. That report as always has been presented and will be presented, (by my family & friends LOL) even though it may not have been available before the ending date of 2008 when it was requested. (kinda tough to present something when it's not completed)

Also to note here is that the Conservation Council requested these license increases which we are discussing.
    Instead of a trout/salmon stamp, institute a license fee increase of $10 for each of these resident licenses: fishing, small and big game, trapping, sportsman, super sportsman, and hunting. Increase non-resident fishing, hunting, trapping and super sportsman licenses by $20. This will bring in over $10 million.
    now as I said here over and over, I supported and recommended a $5.00 increase, the Conservation Council is getting what they want with what they clearly feel is a needed $10.00 increase.

Think of this, they are not MY PEOPLE,they are our resources. That is exactly the goal, a working or struggling family who might NOT otherwise take a kid fishing because they cant afford a license for something they normally would not do. At $5.00 instead of the ridiculous cost of $15.00 for what might possibly only be the 1 time per year they can. Believe me there are many people who only go fishing 1 time, sad but true. In this economy my door is not exactly being knocked down to pay for a licensed guide. I realize what’s going on out there and I offer anything I can to help people get involved in the sport. One has no idea how much involvement I offer of my own free time to helping people and the involvement with DEC. and other outdoors organization groups. That is not the point or I do expect a pat on the back, it's just my values and the way I was raised.
    +(out of context here ) Heck why not support the working families, I thought that was the point ? What’s the difference between buying tackle and supporting shops and paying for use of my equipment and knowledge ? If guiding was my sole income I'd be tough to make ends meet. Again , it's a service provide not required.

Fishing is STILL the cheapest form of sporting available. @ .08 cents per day ,.56 cents per week , $29.00 per year where else in NYS can you find a deal like that ? 9 years of not an increase was a pretty good run and with the rising costs of everything else I feel it is time we preserve at least what we have. If that means a so called sharp increase of $10.00 then it is what it is.

I think as I said , we are on the same page here just slightly different opinions, and really that a good thing. We can debate things that’s what freedom is about. My personal feelings are to help people understand where my thoughts , beliefs and information stem from.
    There are much BIGGER issues here in NY that we should be focusing our efforts on , TAX issues fishing licenses are not a tax.

Someday we'll kick back together on the water and laugh about all this internet discussion.

now in the immortal words of Mr. King.... "I have a dream"

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 15:15:25 (permalink)
    I just responded to what YOU wrote and posted the very parts of the testimony that contradicted your facts. You said it was in the red he said noway to tell, you said there is a list of where the money goes he said there isn't, you refered to the charters as "our people". They aren't my people so you must have been refering to yourself. As for $15.00 being ridiculous when they are paying $300 a day, I think the $300 is ridiculous, you going to cut that to get them to fish more? Opinions and ****holes everyones got them. I'm with Jimmy...Rodney King "can't we all just get along."
    Peace Out!!!

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 17:40:20 (permalink)
     u two are like two power attornies going at it! So the bottom line is where the money is to be used inside the books. Truth is, I am honored to support fish and wildlife preservation through my anual  license fee. I do not however care to support new agencies such as hls or nsa bs through my fishing license fees.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes 2009/03/27 17:51:37 (permalink)
    getting hilarious, kinda like a soap opera with all the drama. I enjoy a debate and don't enter one without being able to back up my words. I stand by everything I have wrote and if read will substantiate that. But then now maybe though it's time to change the channel once direct comments are made towards someone without basis and it no longer becomes an intelligent discussion.

If one wishes to research any more then the information is there for public viewing. If that is not satisfactory then feel free to attend a meeting that is open to the public and of which I see very few , people attend.
    The State FWMB meets biannually to consider issues submitted by Regional Boards, advisory members and others that pertain to fish and wildlife management in the state, the public is invited and has an open forum based on a pre arranged comment period.

If one can't find the time for that then the easy way out is to write to your region officer or DEC. Even still if the cost of a stamp is to much then just use the most informal way in these times , e-mail.

I will not be adding or commenting any further as this discussion no longer has relevance to a license fee increase.

Peace & Tuna
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/03/27 20:29:14

Jump to: