Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/23 13:28:19 (permalink)

Opening Day (Trout) 2009

Well, it is that time of year...

Trout Season opens next Wednesday and for once the streams looks almost FISHABLE on April 1st...  While I never seem to do very well on the season opener, I always try to get out and poke a round a little bit to keep the 'tradition' alive from my youth.

Anyone heading out OPening Day?

Last year I left work early and went over to the Kinderhook for the afternoon.  Lost two fish on a beadhead Copper John, and went home with my hands still smelling more like copier paper than fresh fish.

I think this year might entail another trip to Nassau to see if the browns are feeling cooperative.  It's a decent sized stream that can produce on occassion, but for the most part it is like all the other Albany-area streams:

Put an take, and pretty well fished out by June...

But still, this early in the year you have a shot any any holdovers from the previous season, and as the water warms each afternoon, the evening bite holds some promise.

Anyone wanna' meet up for a little angling next Wednesday evening on the Rensselaer Plateau? 

I plan to scoot out of here (work) around 3pm and get in a few hours somewhere local.  I could be on the water by 4ish or so, when the water should be at its warmest. Relatively speaking, of course...

It *IS* the opener, after all...  Gotta' start the openwater season off right!
post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/03/23 17:00:25

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

9 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 14:06:25 (permalink)
    If i do get out to chase some stream trout it won't be until the weekend.
    I have my days off saved up for big fish in May  

Most likly just the Onesquethaw in the South Bethlehem area (if you know where that is)   ... doesn't mean i couldn't do a 1/2 day some time since it's only 5 minutes away.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 14:07:47 (permalink)
    But i'm just a simple "worm dunker" ... never even held a fly rod before.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 14:40:38 (permalink)
    I will be testing the Onesquathaw during my lunch break on Wednesday... 

I can see the big cliffside pool from my office parking lot, or from the copy machine room downstairs...

I will be sure to get all the bigger browns out of the way for you Brian, so that they won't be a nuisance while you are here fishing

I am sure it will be slow since the water is FREEZING and there is no real bug life to speak of... 

But you are welcome to dunk a few worms on the Audubon stretch some evening after work if you want to meet up.  It's a pretty stream and we can probably pick up a few little dinks within a week or two.  From the sounds of things, you know the creek better than I do...  I only hit our private section periodically when I have a deadline here at work, or sometimes drive up to the "Flat Rock Roads" section when I want to get out of the office for an hour or two.

We should meet up one of these days.  I know it's WAY out of your way and all, but still... 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 17:22:01 (permalink)
    Wish it were only that easy, but I gotta save my days off for montana this year. NJ don't put the kinderhook down we'll have to explore it sometime I've found a few fantastic spots, as for your little stream in S. Bethlehem its only about a mile away from me and I still haven't fished it, hiked it once in the summer, but just haven't had the urge to fish it. We should try to hook up again this year.

Gonna get back to the old ways of fishing and ditching the streams for a little while and focus on the lakes and ponds, hopefully thompsons lake unfreezes soon and thats where you'll find me. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 18:43:34 (permalink)
    no fishing on weds, I just can't get myself worked up to the local trout opener, or the local trout fishery in a whole. The only time I fish on 4/1 is a section of the SR but enen now that it is well known I don't really bother burning a day off for that unless I'm getting paid. I will be heading to that stretch on fri 4/3

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 20:15:01 (permalink)
    i'm hoping to try some real early season night fishing, but the 4/1 regs. dont apply to the lakes I fish.
    I usually dont bother w/ streams till neare the end of the month
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 20:53:55 (permalink)
    No can do for me... maybe next week. I may hit a little stretch of Wynantskill in the AM ... real tough fishing lots of growover but only reachable at all when the tree branches are bare like now.  Surprisingly caught a few nice holdovers in there last year, just about 100 yards from the road.
     Hmmm If I can get the flyrod working, what should I use, beadheads?  I'm bringing spinning gear too though.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 20:56:50 (permalink)
    I remember my first drive to the sr in a 1971 dodge colt hand man down from my older brother.. lol with what was at that time a center mount console cassette tape deck custom boom quad sound system with a 100 watt amp .. Those days for me it was all ELP  Frank Zappa  Jethro Tull  Yes  and alot of other classic bands. This one always reminds me of the sunset off selkirk cement pier  fishing into the sunset clouds as on the album trilogy ,, this band was amazing at that time and even today imo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0FuFfcCZiE

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Opening Day (Trout) 2009 2009/03/23 21:14:12 (permalink)
    I'll likely go where I always go opening day provided it is fair weather.. usually deal with skim ice guess the roundout if not the nev or pepac,, but i do move around alot.. I enjoy greater  success not staying in one place too long .. Where I spoon, if nothing is happening or if I try an hr or two, I'm off to the next spot,, usually sticking to feeder and main coves..what I learned by experience is that if I cove hop or even try a different res. I usually find something decent to brag about.  I like plucking spoons just off the thawing ice in the coves too. Some of the biggest come unbelievably close in the shallows this time of year. For me this is perhaps the most exciting time of the season.. aside from trolling when they are slapping bait on top in may. Anyhow, there is nothing like the first opening days of T season

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: