What's your striper setup?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/20 13:25:35 (permalink)

What's your striper setup?

Eagle Ed shared his striper rig... how about some of you other guys?

I use about 40-50 lb braid as the main line, then slip on a sinker slide, then a good sized barrel swivel. To that I tie on about 4-5 ft of 20 lb mono with a big circle hook maybe 3/0 or 4/0.  To the sinker slide I clip on from a 3oz to 5oz pyramid or disc sinker, depending on current where I'm fishing.  If you get snagged, all you lose is the hook. I have fished it with the hook through the herring's lips or behind it's dorsal fin. Usually put a couple cuts in the herring so he bleeds.

I'm always open to new tactics, lets hear em!

4 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: What's your striper setup? 2009/03/20 14:02:53 (permalink)
    my River set up is basically the same, I use mostly level wined reels with 20 & 30 lb mono. I will rig 1 with a sliding 2>3oz sinker and the other with a 3 way swivel and again 3oz bank sinker off 1' tag of 12lb mono and another 3' leader of 20lb to the hook. for hooks it's a 5/0 circle hook. on the sliding rig I hook through the lips on the fixed rig it's through the back.

Another set up is lures :
    these bad boys are mean, While I don't have 1 to show , tie a cowbell (in line blades) to your line then a 1' leader off the bells to any one of these lures. If the tide or current is moving you only need to be anchored and the bells and lures will work well. If there is little current then SLOW troll. Those lures will dive and pull like heck..

for the creek, as you see FLY BABY : I had a large striper pull my kayak all over the place last year. I was really not set up and broke the tippet. This year 2/0 saltwater hooks and 20lb tippets

post edited by hot tuna - 2009/03/20 14:04:33

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: What's your striper setup? 2009/03/20 15:03:31 (permalink)
    I use about 30# as the main line, sinker slide, then a barrel swivel. Then I tie on about 3 ft of 25# mono with a 5/0-7/0 circle. To the sinker slide I clip on a 2 - 3oz disc sinker with a rubber band, depending on current where I'm fishing. If you get snagged, all you lose is the sinker. I rig the herring through the top lip and out the nostrils. On another set up just straight 30#Power Pro with a barrel swivel and sinker slider w/ a rubber band and weight depending on the current. I like the rubber band - if ya snag the sinker the rubber band breaks and all ya have to do is just clip on a new sinker.In the Hudson I'm not to crazy about  Fluorocarbon because the water is so dingy.
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2009/03/21 20:02:42
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: What's your striper setup? 2009/03/23 13:30:59 (permalink)
    I love the cowbell idea, RJ...

I have a few "Baby Beer Can" and "Dave Davis" rigs for my downrigger, including some small-bladed versions.

I did use the 'rigger (and a huge setback) to get some herring way down off the bottom last season while anchored, but never thought to use any trolling rigs...  The blade  size should mimic a herring pretty well, so this season I will have to give it a shot.

I am really itchin' to get some openwater fish!!!  It is KILLING me!!!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: What's your striper setup? 2009/03/23 13:45:48 (permalink)
    Any body every use a two level fish finder rig?

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Jump to: