here kitty kitty

Author
ILikePike
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/19 07:48:00 (permalink)

here kitty kitty

well, went out for a first catfish trip.not sure what to expect because it's still a little early.
got 2 Channel cats, one 4 lbs, and this one at 9 lbs.

and my buddy got 3, with this one the biggest at 12 1/2 lbs.

all in all, an awesome start to the open water year.this should keep me busy until the stripers get here.

http://s361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/PIKENUT/?action=view&current=100_1106.flv
post edited by ILikePike - 2009/03/19 18:00:22

20 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/19 09:16:50 (permalink)
    NICE!!!!!!!!!! Bait???

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/19 09:28:50 (permalink)
    Nice cats already, sweet ! 

My buddy targets them @ night time during the summer. They get them up into the mid teens.  
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/19 17:39:00 (permalink)
    I was VERY surprised to get anything, thought it was still a little early. i guess this just means it will just get better in the next month or 2 before they spawn
    My goal for the year is a 20 pounder (have to aim high)

for bait we used salmon fillets from hannaford. the skin is RIDICULOUSLY tough. even when we were packing up to leave I had a hard time getting the skin off the hook, and the cats LOVE them.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/19 22:35:49 (permalink)
    Dude, I have never seen a kid from Nisky with such a wicked beard...  Sweet...  ROCKING!!!

What kind of catfish are in the Hudson here in Albany.  Are those Flatheads?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/19 23:40:48 (permalink)
    nice trophy monster blue channels right there pike!  ....I seen those catfish gloves in lowes today! lol

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/20 08:05:24 (permalink)
    as far as i know in the hudson\mohawk we only have channels and white catfish (and bullheads). the white catfish look like a channel but have white chin barbels and don't get as big as the channels. the dark blueish\black color ones are the males. it's kind of confusing because it seems like every one we pull out of the river has a different color to it. if there are other species in the river i haven't heard about or caught them.
    those gloves are essential (and cheap), those cats are slimy little bastids'. we've gone through tons of them.
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Dude, I have never seen a kid from Nisky with such a wicked beard...  Sweet...  ROCKING!!!

you should have seen my winter beard, i just took a hedge trimmer to it recently. it was getting too zz topish.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/20 09:34:20 (permalink)
    I could see pike singing "songs from the wood" with that Ian Anderson beard! lol.. man that spot looks good to set up and mellow out with a 30pack sitting in the mudbank with some backround bluegrass , possibly a small campfire (if allowed) You away from the noise roadways along that stretch pike?

mcasefish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/20 13:10:54 (permalink)
    Nice cats, salmon fillet for bait I woulda never thought of that...We used to do well on chicken livers..

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/20 13:40:03 (permalink)
    ILIKEPIKE-
    hose are some beautiful Hudson channel cats man!  OK so theyre ugly as all git-go.  Nice sized though.  I think theyre going to surrender some 20-25 pounders out of there soon...them boogers are thriving.  Great idea with the slamon...livers fall off and are gross and that herring mush sucks.
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/20 21:54:04 (permalink)
    the spot we fish is pretty quiet, i think that's why i like catfishing so much. after a crappy day at work, just sitting by the river is relaxing, even if i get skunked it is still better than sitting on the couch. and you have a chance at some pretty big fish (and yes they are a tad ugly but i've grown to love them)
    as for the salmon filets, that happened by accident. another one of my friends came down with some sort of bait from his freezer (don't remember what) but he grabbed the wrong package and ended up bringing a salmon filet down. so having no bait other than crawlers at that point we tried it. and know it's my favorite bait for cats.
    post edited by ILikePike - 2009/03/20 22:00:32
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/21 17:32:37 (permalink)
    hey pike, how you rigging for those brutes? I use a carolina rig for just about all my bottom bait fishing be it trout  live lining in the river or from lake shore.For shore fishing, I use inexpensive # 10 or # 12 barrels which are big enough to use as a stop for 3/8..1/2 and 5/8 oz. egg sinkers..and whatever it takes to hold bottom for a strong river current..from barrel to hook about 18" of leader and like the leader to be lighter test than main line for busting off snagged leaders. I  florocarbon leaders for trout especially in clear water, I usually go with a #6 lazer hook. Those cats obviously need respect and heavier gauged hooks. I heard circle hooks work well for catch and release too. I bet after a while you will start giving them kitties individual pet names

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/22 07:16:14 (permalink)
    i use what i call "The Lazy Rig"
    I attach a snap swivel to the main line, then attach a wire leader to that. then i have a slide sinker with a 2 oz. weight that i put on to the wire leader. then i put on a "Lazer Sharp Striped Bass Snell". those are sold premade in the saltwater section at****s, but i usually buy them at conroy's Bait Shop in watervliet. they come with a 6/0 circle hook.
    I used to put the slide sinker on the main line, but after a while it starts to fray the line and i don't want to take the chance of "Jabba the Cat" breaking off. which is why i started using the wire leader.
    i also swear by circle hooks for catfishing. 99% of the catfish i've caught with a circle hook have been hooked in the side of the mouth, never had one swallow a hook.
    My buddy uses a different rig, but i'm lazy and don't like tying a thosand knots so this is the rig i use. (hence the name)
    hope that made sense, put on the bait,cast it out, reel up tight with the drag set pretty tight (as you would have it to fight the fish) then......
    wait....... and wait....... and wait.........
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/22 08:18:09 (permalink)
    Pike , No doubt your expericences with such specimens must be appreciated also, your method of rigging for those subs make alot sense!  My first over 10lber was off whitney point last summer 4am .. sure got my respect as a sportsfish too. As for nj question about flatheads, as I understand it, they are more southern or out west species.. I have not read or heard of flatties in nys waters, However, there are always exceptions to the rule and people do let go pet tank fish too. I remember watching on some outdoor fishing program that flatheads grow much bigger are more agressive and unlike the avg. channel not a good idea if you try lip hooking them. Agree those gloves make it easier for the fish and fisherman. I'm glad for you sharing your pictures and knowledge in the sport we enjoy and share. It is very entertaining gl this season
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/22 08:32:19

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 05:52:45 (permalink)
    i appreciate that backin. I don't claim to be an expert, but I put in between 100-200 hours catfishin last year, so i'm glad to help anybody with what i can but i still have a ton to learn about them.
    as for flatheads, I WISH we had some of those up here, they grow to well over 100 pounds.
    their range doesn't go past pennsylvania though

went out for 6 hours sunday. got an 8 pounder in the first 10 minutes, a 7 pounder an hour later.
    then a cold front came through and it actually snowed for a few minutes. no fish after that.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 09:42:57 (permalink)
    I have no doubt your hours waiting with great anticipation are in trophy channel cat county there pike, perhaps you should invest in a compact HD camcorder and cheap tripod mount kit.. you never know! Than you can hire me shortly after as a camera crew coordinator or something. I remember touring that upper hudson in  my earlier days thinking its feeder headwaters so north had hold browns/bows etc. .. remember looking over some bridge at an amazing thick caddis hatch.. crossing that bridge from the eastside..i made a next right down a long dirt road with all woods on both sides.. not sure where i was.. anyway i'll try to google map it later.. got to go hang a door and do some handyman work today ! post back later

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 12:00:25 (permalink)
    PIKE  Your pics inspired me... so yesterday I dragged an old trout out of the freezer and headed out to the Hudson. I found a perfectly unoccupied Erie Canal entrance at Waterford, with a nice bench, a hot cup of Joe, and the sun setting behind me.  I chucked some hunks of trout out there and sat, but after about an hour or so I started thinking about Siena game being on and I got itchy so I left.  I wish I had the patience for catfishing but thats usually how it ends up if I'm alone.
    What stretch are you guys fishing, youre on shore right?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 12:40:56 (permalink)
    Barry- just think how hard it is going to be to sit still after April 6th when the Yanks are back on the field, huh?

You're always welcome at my place during the season when the Yanks have night games.  I made it a point to try to listen to each game on the radio as I sat in the boat.  There is something about hearing a game called by announcers that always seems to beat television...  At least with me.

I don't know how people can fish without a radio sometimes...  If I am by myself it is a must...

Otherwise I get all stir crazy and often ended up slugging beers...  More than a few daytrips have ended up being weekend-long outings a result.  Sometimes it is best for me to stick close to home.  Makes the ride home a lot shorter when I can tie up the boat in the front yard...

Anyone wanna' show me how to catch ice-out bluegills this week?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 13:32:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Barry- just think how hard it is going to be to sit still after April 6th when the Yanks are back on the field, huh?

You're always welcome at my place during the season when the Yanks have night games.  I made it a point to try to listen to each game on the radio as I sat in the boat.  There is something about hearing a game called by announcers that always seems to beat television...  At least with me.

I don't know how people can fish without a radio sometimes...  If I am by myself it is a must...

Otherwise I get all stir crazy and often ended up slugging beers...  More than a few daytrips have ended up being weekend-long outings a result.  Sometimes it is best for me to stick close to home.  Makes the ride home a lot shorter when I can tie up the boat in the front yard...

Anyone wanna' show me how to catch ice-out bluegills this week?
    Jeff (Reel Force) would shake his head when I would turn the radio on while ice fishing. My buddy and I always had a radio with us whether ice fishing or on the boat. If your on the south end of Saratoga Lake in the summer a radio is a must to drown out the kid that practices his tuba on the deck.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 13:57:58 (permalink)
    Fish simply LOVE to listen to Jerry Garcia...  I have done a great deal of study on the matter...

If you want a big fish, simply crank up "Wharf Rat" or "Standing On The Moon" and the music will whip them into a frenzy.  It is not unusual to catch several fish at once, with most of them wearing tie-dye, wobbling unsteadily and asking if you have an extra ticket to the show...

Or sometimes I just fall asleep...  It's still nice to have some tunes or some sports though

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: here kitty kitty 2009/03/23 20:45:22 (permalink)
    LMAO  I think those fish were affected by Acid Rain Jimmy.  
    Jump to: