allegheny river cats

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/16 13:54:03 (permalink)

allegheny river cats

hey just thought id let you guys know ive been fishing the river above and below lock 3 pretty regularly the past few months for cats and carp and last night my friend and i finally got into some bigguns. landed 4 fish, 1-16"flat head. 1-24"flat head 1-25"channel 1-36"flat head what a fight that 36"er put up! all were caught on creek chubs live or dead. except the 25"channel was on a dead mussel my friend found on the shore! anyone else ever use mussels for bait? it seemed to work real well he got 3 solid hits and then BAM!

13 Replies Related Threads

SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/26 11:29:33 (permalink)
    I've been to the Lock 5 in Freeport last weekend and couldn't get a bite. I was right below the dam on the side where the boats go up/down.
    Where is Lock 3 located and how do you get there? Are there any good spots? i'm coming form the South Hills.
    I really love to catch some Catfish and maybe some Carp, but had only minor success lately. I suppose you fished it at night, where did you get the Creek Chubs, is there a bait shop near by?
    Any info is helpful...

Thanks
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/26 16:11:52 (permalink)
    I shouldn't tell you this but oh well. get a minnow bucket go to a farm pond or up to deer lakes park. catch some bluegills 3 or 4 per person, go down to lock 3 very easy to get to from deer lakes park.  use about 50 # test ( I use 85# test) hook the bluregill in the back and throw it as far up into the dam as you can. use a slip sinker about 3 oz. sit and wait youll know when you have a fish on ................ FLATFISH
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/26 19:19:45 (permalink)
      To get to lock 3 you will have to walk up the Rail Rd. tracks about a mile from the end of Oakmont or about a mile down from Berking. Lots of poision ivy in that area . A bunch of us will pull a all nighter there either this Sat. or next.

Crappy

If you are after big cats try by the sewage plant next to the Hulton bridge in Blawnox. Make sure & keep your baitfish alive for the Flatheads.

Just bought 2 heavy duty rods for cattin.
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/08/03 12:33:28
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/29 17:34:34 (permalink)
    i catch my bait with a trap in a local creek. and i fish from the island you see from the turn pike right by the allegheny valley exit goo luck let me know how you do. ive tried gills before but i think im not patient enough, probably had fifty fish by the time i got a 36 incher. how long does it usually take to get a biggun? is this the best time of year?

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/30 17:54:00 (permalink)
      Sat. night was pretty slow for us. We had on prob. 7 good fish all night, morning.

Timmy was haulin 11 rods down the hill & went head first over a cliff & broke 2 heavy duty rods before we even started fishin.  Maybe Marty can post a couple cat pitc. from Sat. night for Timmy.
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/31 10:45:25 (permalink)
    fishinguy .......... if you fish off the island at the point of the dam your fishing too far away. I live on the allegheny and kayak all the time. Fish on the Acme / Cheswick side as close to the dam as you can. Big Cats like fast water and oxegen close to the dam you get both.

crappie ......... If your on the Oakmont side same thing your to far from the dam, get right up as close to it as you can, fish the Cheswick side.

When we were kids we use to fish right off the the wall and throw bluegills into the whitewater into the dam. BOY did we get some big ones. One nite I got a 35" channel cat yes it was a channel cat

HAVE FUN ............FLATFISH

SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/31 13:12:15 (permalink)
    So whats better?

Cheswick Side or Oakmont/Berking side?

I do not care too much if they are the BIG ones, as long as they bite i'm fine.
    What do you use to catch the smaller ones besides chubs?

Are these cats good to eat or not?
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/31 13:14:31 (permalink)
    Flatfish,

I got a 40""er Sat. night on the Oakmont side. The kids missed a few good ones also. When I was a kid the guys workin the locks would let me fish off the wall where they worked  

Fishin the CHANNEL locks is great for CHANNELS.   Lots of poision ivy though

Crappy
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/07/31 19:23:56 (permalink)
       Sfs,

if you are after numbers chicken liver, nightcrawlers & a bread doughball all work well. My buddies & I ate the channel cat in the 16''- 20'' range since the late 70's.  Fish the Harmarville side if you want, it's easy to get to.
      I like fishin with no sings of fishermen being there before me any way  Can't remember the last time I saw a shore fishermen if ever from Plums side  Darn poision ivy

Crappy
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/08/01 13:52:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Crappie for the good info. I come from the South Hills, and don't really mind the poison Ivy, so the distance is the same.  I'll go where ever it bites better, probably the Oakmont side since the quiter the better.
    Going down one of the next few days, weekend the latest and bringing some decent size hooks, 20 lb test should be good I assume with slip sinkers and then chicken liver, nightcrawlers & bread doughball as bait.
    Let me know if i'm off somewhere, but as long as they bite I'm happy. I do love the taste of catfish and now's the time to go.

Crappy, do you stay close to the dam or not for the 16 to 20 inchers?

Thanks,

SFS
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/08/01 14:23:12 (permalink)
    One more thing, should I use a 3-way swivel and have the bait roam above the bait or just use a 3oz + bullet/egg slip sinkers?

Also treble hooks or regular?
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/08/01 17:36:55 (permalink)
    Yes I eat them like crappie said 18-24 inches, But I only eat them in spring and early summer. Let me know how they taste in the in the summer. I like to go to the cheswick side because its easier to get to or fish in my small fishing boat. I go up to the bouy and then throw it as far up to the dam as I can with a bluegill on it.

GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN BE SAFE. ............... FLATFISH

PS. If your on the Cheswick side the rocks are VERY SLIPPERY WHEN WET (after a rain) A friend of mine sliped last week and got hurt pretty bad.
    post edited by FLATFISH-4F - 2007/08/01 17:37:26
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: allegheny river cats 2007/08/02 13:13:15 (permalink)
      The best place I ever fished for the eating sz. cats was about 250-300 yrds. above the lock. Back in the mid 70's we cleared out a spot to fish off a steep 7' bank. We left a sm. marker in a bush next to the tracks so we could find it. The place is covered in poision ivy.

For that sz. bait #2 & #4 hooks should work. 3/8 - 1 oz. slip sinkers is good on Plum/ Oakmont's side. when the water flow is low or normal. If there is a flat above a hole or a bend up from a hole a big split shot might be good.

Keep the liver on ice & cut it with a knife. I'll fish this side mostly from 300 yrds. below the water authority up to 350 yrds. above the lock. Berking looks deadly for big cats.

PM me if you need some dir.

Havin a net while wadeing or shore fishin of any kind is for girls

Crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/08/03 12:35:47
    Jump to: