Keys - Marathon

Author
ohiofish
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/12 11:34:40 (permalink)

Keys - Marathon

I take an anual trip to Marathon.... I usually rent a boat for the week and hit the reefs and wrecks. Due to the economy, I will not be able to rent a boat this year. I will be wading the flats for Bonefish, Tarpon, and Permit. Can anyone give me some good spots to wade... Any info would be really really helpful...  Not sure if anyone fishes down there...  I think I guy by the name of beerman has posted stuff here about the keys.. Thank you.

16 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/12 15:26:19 (permalink)
    One of the places I'd try is around Boot key. It's just across the bridge from Marathon's Chamber of Commerce.
    Plenty of sand flats to wade on the Northeast side if the Island.

You'll get plenty of chances at bones, 'Cudas, Tarpon, and god knows what else....

Also, up in down the beach any where on the keys during a morning high tide will garuntee you a bent rod!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/12 15:43:09 (permalink)
    Here's an old email I found that will REALLY help you out...This dude knows his chit...I fished with him several times since!
    This info is so good, I should charge you for it!

With the storms over the years, Im not sure if things have changed since this email. That the first year I went down in 02

Mike,

Let me know when you get here, I'll meet you at Marathon! Andy says the bite is really hot on the permits mid day down here, so work your way down and call us.

Here is a note cobbled together from several sources:
    Shore fishing is not easy for Bones and I would guess near impossible for Permit & Tarpon. The few places that you can wade for are not heavily fished but they get good traffic, so Bones and the others are well seasoned and a little shy. Permit because you need to see them at nearly 100 ft in order to maneuver to within casting distance, they are to quick when your on foot. Tarpon are easy enough to get close to, but you need deeper water, 4-6 ft, again not easy when your wading. You may luck out and see some near channels or cuts, but if you were to hook one of any size u b in deep dodo......
    Sidebar, the Key's are strung along US 1 and in the old days all mail was delivered via mile markers(mm), They start in Key West(MM 0) and end in Florida City (MM 126). The Key's run from the east to the west and if you include the Tortugas, stretch for almost 200 miles.
    Now as for wading the flats, yes, there are lots of spots. Most of the productive fishing is going to be in the early mornings at around sun set. Tides also are a
    major factor, but because of their complexity, it's not worth getting into.
    Starting at the Mile Marker 126, just south of Florida City, if you see shallow water, there are fish... There are Snook, Red's, Tarpon, Permit, Bones, and just about anything you can cast to, available most of the year, just not a lot... If you have never tried a fly on a barracuda or shark, I strongly suggest you give them a shot. They are just as fast and spectacular as the Slam fish. You can go after the smaller Bonnet(2lb-6lb) with a 6wt, Cuda(3lb-15lb) with a 8wt-10wt, up through the Bull/Nurse/Lemon shark with your 12wt, and they are all on the flats. You can wade to them. The only adder is a small piece of wire to ward off sharp teeth,, if you want your fly back... There are also Jack's, Grunts, Ladyfish, Spotted Trout, and to a lesser extent just about everything else. I have caught King Mackerel to 35lbs in 12 ft of water between the old and new Bahia Honda bridges. Bull Shark's up to 250lbs.
    There is a gap in road side fishing between upper Key Largo(mm 107) and Lower Matecumbe(mm 74) because most of the area is commercial or private and built up.
    The Highway Flat a mm 74 on the ocean side. This is a great flat located across the street from the Rodus Building, 74560 Overseas Highway. Hurricane Georges stripped away what used to be a lovely stretch of sand dunes covered with sea oats bordering this flat. The flat is still fishable, just not as pretty. You can park across the street from the Rodus Building, a square white multi-story building. This flat runs east and west for approximately 1/2 mile, good hard bottom and GREAT bone fishing. Do not park at the East end of the flat as that area is private property and was marked as such the last time I was there. This flat has no rest rooms or any facilities, just very good fishing. Don't pass it up.
    Anne's Beach is a favorite wade fishing spot. A fabulous flat approximately 1/2 mile long with good hard sand bottom. Anne's beach is located just West of the Calusa Marina on the ocean-side. Anne's Beach has two entrances about 1/2 mile apart. There are rest rooms at the East end and hard, marked parking areas at the East and West ends. Each entrance is connected by a great boardwalk, which runs
    right along the shoreline and has access walks going down to the water interspersed along the boardwalk making access to the flat very easy. There are also covered picnic areas along the boardwalk with tables and benches, just right for lunch. The bone fishing here is very good with an excellent chance of seeing a permit on the West end of the flat where it butts up to a deep-water channel. This is a public park and is very popular with bathers. Avoid the weekends and fish early or late. There is usually plenty of room for fishing particularly in the middle area of the flat.
    Long Key State Park Recreational Area Long Key State Park is located just West of MM 68, on the ocean-side. This park has an entrance fee of $3.00 per car and is well worth it. The park features camping areas if you are a camper and you can pitch a tent or back your trailer right up to the beach. It also has shower facilities and rest rooms as well as picnic tables. A paved road runs the length of the park and makes access that much easier. I usually turn right after paying my entrance fee and drive about half way down the park to the West and park facing the ocean. A very short walk, 15-20 feet, and you are fishing. On a high tide watch the shoreline, as the bonefish will get right in on the beach and tail. I like to start wading in the middle of the flat and work my way slowly up to the East end in close to the shore line and if the light and the wind are right, move out a little and work back to the West. It just doesn't get any better than this. Excellent facilities and very good fishing.
    On Vaca Key(downtown Marathon), you might try Sombrero Beach. It is public, has sand, it right next to a really good cut, might be worth a try in the early am or at dusk.
    Veterans' Memorial Park This park is located at Mile Marker #40, right on the West end of the 7-Mile Bridge. Turn left and go down the hill where you will find a good
    parking area with rest rooms and concrete pavilions which cover picnic tables and benches. A great flat with a nice hard sandy bottom. Excellent bone fishing with a
    chance of a permit on a high tide near the edge of the channel. The family can sit and burn in comfort while you hunt world records...
    Bahia Honda State Park Located on Bahia Honda Key between Mile Markers 36 and 37. This is very large Park, over 2 miles in length and offers some of the best wade
    fishing available for bonefish. This flat borders a deep water channel on the East end where there is always the chance of coming upon a permit. It has a good hard bottom and a variety of types of bottom from clean white sand to mottled with some grass. Bahia Honda offers camping, picnic facilities as well as rest rooms and showers and even a concession stand if your tastes run to a hot lunch [hot dogs and hamburgers]. This facility requires an entrance fee of $3.00 and well worth it. It is very nice at the end of your fishing to be able to take a shower and change into some dry clothes. For up to date information you can call the park at 305-872-2353.
    Just after the new Bahia Honda bridges, is Spanish Harbor Key(it's labeled West Sugarloaf Key). About 100ft after the bridge ON THE RIGHT is a small side road the
    leads down to a parking area. Wonder out to the north and you will find a pit dug by the rail road for fill, it's 35ft deep but is quite shallow on the outsides. Try the area between the pit and the bridge. Also, on the south side of the road there are some shallows, but they drop off quick.. Current is also very fast and strong, up to 7mph. You don't want to be caught in it, kills 1 or 2 each year...
    Further west are still more spots, going all the way to the beaches of Key West.
    Caution::: Always be sure of where you are wading. Do not attempt to cross areas that are green or dark blue in color-these colors indicate deep water, or soft mud bottoms. I very seldom wade deeper than my knees. Be aware of what the tide is doing and do not get caught far off the beach with a fast rising tide or you may have to swim part of the way back. This is very difficult with an expencive fly rod & reel.
    The following is a list of equipment you might consider for wade fishing expeditions:
    FLY ROD - a fast action, 9ft., 8wt.
    FLY REEL - GOOD DRAG & a floating line and 200 yds. of 20lb. test backing.
    FLIES - a mix of Clousers, Deceiver's, Shrimp, Crab, in tan, brown, green, white,
    sizes 4, 2, 1/0 BITE TIPPETS: Other than Bones and maybe Permit, our fish have teeth, I use 12"-15:" of 20lb up to 80lb mono for Tarpon, wire for cuda & shark.
    WADING BOOTS or hard bottom dive booties - a must have piece of equipment for safe wading, always wear them no matter where you are wading
    STRIPPING BASKET - optional
    POLARIZED SUNGLASSES - another must have item
    SMALL, FLAT fly box - carry different patterns and a few extra leaders
    SUNSCREEN - another must have item, even in winter
    WATER BOTTLE - put on your belt, it will save you a trip back to shore
    LONG-BILLED HAT - make sure the underside of the bill is a dark color so it won't reflect the glare back into your eyes .
    Long Sleeve shirts & pants if your light skinned.
    Now all you need is a soft breeze, a cloudless sky.....
    post edited by mikeg - 2009/03/12 16:14:38

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/13 07:35:34 (permalink)
    Really can't help with specific locations to wade because I fish from a flats boat when we go to the Keys, but just take a drive down A1A and look for other folks wading.  There are lots of spots that it can be done from what I observe.

Good Luck.

If you get up Largo way, stop at the Fish House.  We go every year.  They have the best Key Lime Pie anywhere -- the real stuff, not the chartreuse crap.  Bobby Flay actually featured their recipe.  The stuffed shrimp is great too.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    ohiofish
    Novice Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/14 00:25:28 (permalink)
    Mike thank you very much.... I will report back and hopefully have tons of pictures...
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/17 15:50:01 (permalink)
    That's a lot of good, useful info Mike. Thanks!

The last few years I've also made an annual trip to the Keys.
    This year (June) we are going to fish Bradenton, Florida instead.... for tarpon.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/17 16:00:32 (permalink)
    I asked him if he minded me posting it and he said as long as whoever benefits from reading it takes him steelhead fishing!

Where are you staying in Bradenton? I can help you out with that area, beerman! I use to live there!

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/18 13:05:57 (permalink)
    you should think about renting a fishing kayak.  you could probably rent a kayak for a day for less than $100.  
    ohiofish
    Novice Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/03/19 10:01:15 (permalink)
    That is not a problem Mike, I'll take you steelhead fishing....
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

I asked him if he minded me posting it and he said as long as whoever benefits from reading it takes him steelhead fishing!

Where are you staying in Bradenton? I can help you out with that area, beerman! I use to live there!
    wylie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/01 18:15:22 (permalink)
    Hi guys I used to rent a boat from fish-n -fun for week ,great time ,bay or ocean side.When i retire plan to go there  for a month in winter ,each season. Also hope to buy used boat for this.Cant give you advice unless boat fishing.My best memories from fishing come from there.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/01 21:37:10 (permalink)
    I'm heading to Bradenton, Florida June 6-11, we'll be staying on Cortez Road west, just over the bridge. Two high school/college buddies and I are fishing with a guide out of Tampa: Captain Matt. We are also fishing 2-3 days on our own. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/06 13:25:14 (permalink)
    ohio,
    when are you going to be down there??  Let me know.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/08 07:39:01 (permalink)
    I am just trying to pull together the annual Keys trip and noticed that airfare has changed; hotel pricing has changed; and rental cars prices are wild.

As for hotels, our usual haunt in Key Largo dropped $20 per night -- not a lot, but over 4 nights, it buys a lunch and dinner.  In Key West, our favorite place to stay held the line on prices while others, including some really, really nice hotels dropped -- some by as much as 30%.  Since not much time is spent in the hotel other than sleeping in Key West, we might need to consider staying elsewhere this year.  From the looks of it, we can still stay somewhere fairly nice for half of our usual spot.  I'll need to check the map for location.

With regard to airfare, we typically fly out of Dulles.  American is our carrier of choice and the prices from Dulles to Miami and then on to Key West (we then drive up to Key Largo to fish, then return for a couple of days in Key West before flying out) are slightly less, probably due to the reduction in fuel surcharges, than last year.  I looked at just flying to Miami and driving the balance and it was actually MORE to not fly to KW.

Just for giggles, I checked on flying out of BWI instead -- its the same distance from home give or take 10 miles, which traditionally is more expensive, and it was 25% cheaper than Dulles.  So it looks like we fly from Baltimore this year.  Incidentally, the same brand of hotel that we use before the flight (it leaves at 6AM) and after the return (it gets in after midnight) is also cheaper by about 25% at BWI.  It seems that they are promoting flying from there for some reason.

As for rental cars, our normal company is slightly higher than last year.  So I did a quick search and found 3 other companies that are also located in the KW airport that were cheaper.  One was less than 1/2 as much for the same class of car.

I guess the point is, if you are traveling this year, complete your due diligence because travel prices have changed all over the map.  I calculate that we can probably save (if food prices are stable or down -- which they are reported to be) somewhere around 25% from last year's trip.

Yeah!!!

Duncsdad

harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/08 13:53:00 (permalink)
    Bonefishing in the keys has always been a dream of mine... One day...
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/08 14:13:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: harrypelles

Bonefishing in the keys has always been a dream of mine... One day...

Bonefishing in they Keys is actually hard.  They are bigger there, but more difficult.

Try the Bahamas -- more, although smaller fish, and zero pressure.

Duncsdad

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/08 17:33:55 (permalink)
    I completely agree with duncs...

If you wants numbers than you have fish the bahamas or other places. The fish in Miami down to the keys are EXTREMELY educated, but like he said, are much larger. I have a friend that lives in Miami and he considers 5 fish days to be very good. Although you will be offered plenty of shots.

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Keys - Marathon 2009/05/10 09:22:39 (permalink)
    I agree with Mike -- plenty of shots at bones in the Keys -- many at long range -- 70 - 90 feet -- very spooky.

I have caught more bones in a morning in Andros than in two or three days in the Keys.  But size is another thing.  Most of my Bahama bones have been 2 pounders, with a 4 pounder being considered a nice fish.  Bones in the 6 pound range are not uncommon in the Keys.  In fact, my first and biggest bone was an 11 pounder.

I actually have averaged more tarpon per fishing day in the Keys than bones.

Duncsdad

Jump to: