Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek

Author
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/14 18:16:58 (permalink)

Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek

I just saw a report on Jet-TV about a new fire and rescue boat that will be available at Walnut Creek Access.  It looks a really neat boat and should be a great help to all the boaters out on the lake. 

pax vobiscum +

23 Replies Related Threads

pudge1970
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/14 23:45:52 (permalink)
    Yeah ......because there are so many fires and rescues to be attended to every year!!! Another PFBC waste of good money. The boats they have to do their B.S. checks are more than enough for rescue ops out of Walnut. They need to put some $$$$ into the Lakeshore Facilities...ie. Marinas,launches,Docks, Bathrooms etc. Wait I gotta go my rig is on fire!!!!!
    yungguru
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 00:58:06 (permalink)
    the fsh comishion dident bye itt dumas
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 01:04:32 (permalink)
    Lake Shore Fire Department Rescue Boat
    Reported by: Juliane Brown
    Saturday, Jul 14, 2007 @03:54pm
    As of Saturday there's a brand new fire rescue boat out on the Walnut Creek access and Marina and its the first of its kind. It cost about $200,000 and years of planning and training, but officials agree it was well worth it.The idea for the project came into play about four years ago when the Lake Shore Fire Department noticed a major problem when fires and emergency situations occurred near the Walnut Creek Access and Marina."We found ourselves sitting on the shoreline helpless to those who were in need out on the water."So they decided to do something about it. Last year they purchased this fire rescue boat and their staff began intensive safety training. Officials say its the first fire rescue boat on the lake capable of doing adequate fire fighting. The Fish and Boat Commission granted them a slip to dock the boat at Walnut Creek."We felt there was a need for more on the west side of the lake so this is where we wanted to be."This twin mercury engine powered boat isn't only a fun ride, but it gives the Lake Shore team more capabilities on the water than ever before.One of the most unique features of this boat is the V-8 engine powered fire pump, it pulls a thousand gallons of water per minute right out of the lake and is just like one in a fire truck. Transporting paramedics and basic life support equipment is another major plus of the boat.

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 01:52:50 (permalink)
    Pudge, You should have checked this out before you jumped on this! If you ever have been out on the Lake in severe weather, had motor trouble and had to be towed in, Like I have, you will be **** glad to have that boat close by. Not to be a wise guy, just know from experience.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 02:06:06 (permalink)
    They wil be lookin to bust U wit bEEr.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 07:49:47 (permalink)
    The boat was put on line by the Lake Shore Fire Department and as far as I know will be manned by members of the fire department.  The Fish Commission gave them a place to keep the boat, but they are not directly involved in the operation of the boat. 

The last time I checked fireman and emt's don't check boats for infractions or bust folks for drinking beer.  They are there to help you out when you have a problem.  I personally think if the fire department put out the effort to see a fire and rescue boat was in place, we should be happy and support their efforts.

pax vobiscum +
    trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 13:09:44 (permalink)
    It really isn't needed, but a good insurance if something went really wrong. I always though the PFBC boat served the purpose of helping boaters. I doubt there are any fires that can't be put out with a fire extinguisher. you never know though. I just never heard of any in my 44 years of living by the lake.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 13:42:10 (permalink)
    It may not have been needed according to trade winds, but its a helluva seaworthy vessel compared to what the PFBC keeps at Walnut, if it saves 1 person from harm it was worth every cent about  200 grand according to the news
    kc
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 21:38:15 (permalink)
    I don't usually comment on stupid remarks but Pudge sounds like one of those people who complain about volunteer fire and rescue companies asking for donations but he would be the first person to complain when one of his family is in desparate need and nobody showed up with the proper equipment. I commend the Lakeshore fire departments and hope and pray they never need to use that boat but I am glad it will be available if needed.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 23:14:38 (permalink)
    It is tough for some to see big bucks put into this as reasonable. But most don't realize Lake Erie as the roughest great lake during bad weather. Just concidering the number of charter, head, and personal boats is a good enough reason for this investment. I'm happy to see our money put into something that isn't a waste.   
    eslattea
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/15 23:28:52 (permalink)
    sounds like a nice boat.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 07:29:47 (permalink)
    The news article said that the boat will not only be used to put out fires and rescue stranded boaters, they will be able to deal with medical emergencies and carry emts to the people on the water that need them.  They said it was like having an ambulance on the water.

pax vobiscum +
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 09:14:38 (permalink)
    Why is it, there is always someone who goes off on a subject before they get all the facts.  Hell they probably blame the fish commission when the lake rises and falls.  If that boat was purchased by a Fire Dept. it probably  paid for by grant monies available through state and federal funding.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 11:35:33 (permalink)
    Rescue Boat Launched
    July 14, 2007, 5:59 pm
    Lake Shore Fire Department has been waiting four years for this day to arrive.
     CLICK FOR VIDEO

Second Assistant Chief, Brian Salvatore is especially happy saying "I started the project four years ago and we're pretty happy for today."  He says the biggest benefit will be to "the people in the community and the people who visit our community that use Erie as a recreational point or make a living on the lake."The boat is designed specifically for rescue divers.  It has the ability to hold six divers.  Salvatore says "if there happened to be an incident where divers were needed, we'd be able to pick them up on shore and take them to where ever they need to go and they can dive off the boat."Adam Vincik comes to Erie from Saxonburg, PA just to fish for walleye.  He's never had a need to call for a rescue crew but he says "I'm glad everybody else is secure also, it's not just you, it's the other guy also."  He says "it's a good thing."Chief Salvatore says Vincik's response is exactly what they were hoping to hear, "we want to make sure everyone is safe and protected when they're out on the lake here in Erie."The rescue boat will be docked at the Walnut Creek Access in Fairview.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/07/16 17:09:31

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 15:36:34 (permalink)
    pghmarty, thanx for the video link. Nice to know someone cares.  Dave
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 15:56:40 (permalink)
    $200,000, and it dosen't even have rod holders or downriggers, let alone a planer mast......what a piece of crap.....Although I was eying those water hoses up.  If they were off they might make a good rod holder....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 19:43:42 (permalink)
    It is a floating fire truck and ambulance cool it's a good thing....
    have a heart attack 16 mile's out GOOD THING.....
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 20:01:41 (permalink)
    saw the boat for the first time today. neat looking rig and if it can save somebodys life it's worth it.

nice boat but it sure doesnt look like $200k.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/16 21:54:51 (permalink)
    IT'S BETTER TO HAVE A GUN AND NOT NEED IT, THAN TO NEED A GUN AND NOT HAVE IT! ..........Personally, I'm glad to know there is a "floating ambulance" in Erie. Pray that it never IS needed for yourself or loved ones.

Personal note of thanx to the fire dept for extra "peace of mind". Worth 10 million if it saves one grandfather, father, brother, or son. Can you put a price on a loved one?..................I cant!
    Crack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/17 01:23:56 (permalink)
    I personally know a few of the guys from Lake Shore. I myself being a volunteer fireman. I have had the chance to talk with Brian about this boat. It is a very good thing to have on any lake. There are a lot of people who don't realize the number of calls that get run everyday. Just because someone has never heard of anything happening on the lake doesn't mean that there are not calls. It is also nice to have a boat in Erie when the coast guard is out of Cleveland. I could be wrong about that but it is a lot nicer to have someone close by if/when an emergency happens. I hope it is never needed but for the one time it is, I think it is worth every penny.
    NorthCoast
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/17 12:26:08 (permalink)
    200k? lmao, my boats bigger than that one...

How much ya' wanna bet the boat cost 100k and they pocketed the other 100k for gas money...?
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/17 14:40:33 (permalink)
    Size doesnt necessarily mean quality.........

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Fire and rescue boat at Walnut creek 2007/07/17 14:59:49 (permalink)
    My son and I went down last night to take a look at the boat. It is really nice and if it saves lives it is worth every penny.
    My son also thought it would make a good fishing boat.
    Jump to: