CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/07 11:49:03 (permalink)

CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS

A couple buds from work and I will soon be making our annual pilgrimage to Roscoe for some great trout action. We're adding the Delaware and Esopus rivers to the trip this year time permitting. 
This is the first time I'll be flyfishing it, just wondering if anyone had any favorite flies for late April in that area.  Any gear tips for these spooky trout?

11 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/07 19:28:29 (permalink)
    Yank, like anywhere else, when it comes to flyfishing, the odds are best when you stop at a local flyshop. In the town there are four shops that supply most if not all the local patterns. Around the time they stock (and jmho)you will still better results using wets. Although I prefer watching them smash dries , For the opener anything dark resembling what's floating or under the rocks. I like staying small and using tandem nymph patterns big #6 on through #10s 12s 14s hares ear / trout are suckeres for anything tied using peacock feathers  such as pheasant tails and prince nymphs. You can check out this link http://www.catskillflies.com/  these guys are great, my favorite stop and shop for flies,click on stream conditions that should be up updated in a few weeks, they usually report twice daily as stream conditions improve. Esopus for me? I always go with a small ultra light noodle drifting eggs real early or real late in the season for possible native or holdovers. As from what I seen stock schedule wise, Esopus almost always gets the first dump this neck of the wood. From my experience, hatchery fish are suckers for just about any nymph/wet emergers even dries this early with basic presentation. These fish however acclimate surprising quick (within two weeks)  and they become much as the spooked wild particulars where size and patterns seperate the pros from the avids and that's the fun of matching the hatch. 
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/29 10:42:29

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/07 19:54:48 (permalink)
    NNY, COOL to see you got on the Site!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/14 06:25:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Back...  Catskill Flies is a great site... updates on all the rivers, great maps, havent had the pleasure of stopping there yet though.  I veer off before i ever get that far south.  I really was hoping to run into wild rainbows on the Esopus... fishing above and below the portal.  Yuk on the stockies but I guess its good practice. I really suck at this stage.

They have the early hatches right on the site... it says blue winged olives, brown stones, and some other stuff...I have some of those i think.

PERCH-- I'm back brother!  Put away the ice stuff though... do trout?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/14 06:36:35 (permalink)
    Yank...  I can help you out...

I lived on the shores of the Neversink for a few years and ran a fly fishing school for Frost Valley.

The Esopus spring run is cool.  Two words to remember in springtime on the Esopus: WOODLAND VALLEY

I will send you a PM and can feed you a ton of maps if you need 'em.  I am overloaded with Catskill knowlege.  But I spent all my free time driving OUT of the Catskills and into the ADKs- so maybe that will show you where my allegience is...

The Catskills are good though, just really pressured and crowded.  But there still a lot fo decent spots away from the crowds...  Just not as many as in the Adirondacks, of course... 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/14 07:24:53 (permalink)
    NNY Oh Yes I do Trout!!!! I live right on the Poestenkill Creek!!! Any TIME, you know your WELCOME!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/14 09:28:26 (permalink)
    Hey yank, agree with jimmy trying the upper stretches (if you planning an esopus)it is tricky wading with alot of boulders and they are all slippery, don't recommend any attempts crossing it in high water.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/18 17:58:36

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/29 10:54:37 (permalink)
    I guess it is time to watch the water gauges along your favorite stations! Water levels will be high this opener, hoping it isn't too much a washout!  Looks like the feeders and the lake coves will be the places to concentrate.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/29 17:12:22 (permalink)
    Jimmy-  Is there anyplace you DON'T have tons of knowledge about?  Brother if you want to PM me any spots I can avoid the crowds... for sure!  I will mostly be fishing the Willowemoc , lower Beaverkill, and  West branch Delaware on sunday 5/3. On monday 5/4, we're going to do East Branch Delaware towards Pepacton res, then across the Cats to the Esopus in Big Indian and fish our way down around Shandaken, then its off thru Woodstock to the Thruway.  Any places you know in this area would be most appreciated. 

Backin79-  Thanks for your fly suggestions.  Maybe I can get back again in early summer before it gets real hot and try some places, ya never know!

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/29 19:26:36 (permalink)
    Yank I started fishing all of the tribs about 30 years ago . From their head waters to the where they merge to become the upper Delaware main stem.  what is it you want to know?

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/29 20:00:12 (permalink)
    NYY- like jimmy i lived down there for some time, the beaverkill was literally my backyard. At the beginning of May you are looking at primetime for hendricksons except on the esopus, that is usually colder then the other rivers.

the best advice I can give you is fish where ever you want. Everymile of those rivers have trout in them, the possibilities are endless. Personally I used to drive until I saw no one fishing in a spot and thats where I would go. I spent about 60hrs a week on those rivers and the fish literally are everywhere.

Personally I would cut out the esopus, the other rivers you are going to go to will have more action at that time of year and the esopus may be a little of a let down. The esopus is great, but is a little slower with bug action early in the year.

The BK, Willow, West Branch, East branch and main delaware will be in perfect condition the hendricksons will be going and fish are slow and easy that time of year, bring a bug net, black flies start last week of april. good luck and post some pics.  If there are any specific spots you are looking at just ask.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: CATSKILLS TROUT FLY QUESTIONS 2009/03/29 20:57:27 (permalink)
    just keep checking for favorable stream flow conditions, The delaware basin is full of good trout water http://www.catskillflies.com/

Jump to: