Weird Mayfly Question

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/17 14:20:44 (permalink)

Weird Mayfly Question

I was watching Man vs. Wild the other day and had an odd thought: are mayflies fit for human consumption?  I mean, the fish eat em, but fish also dissolve hooks in their digestive tract.  I'd think if someone got stranded somewhere, a good heavy hatch might provide enough sustenance to keep someone going.

Any thoughts?  Any experiences?

13 Replies Related Threads

troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/17 15:02:12 (permalink)
    if it meant livin or dying id be at an all you can eat buffet on the creek, i wouldnt see why you couldnt , but who knows what those little guys got in them

The wizard
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/17 16:19:05 (permalink)
    i'd never be stranded w/o fly rod.  and seeing said hatch i'd get a dry fly of sorts, catch a few trouts and not worry about eating bugs. 

but if no fly rod were handy for some reason i'd first try to see if i could find some crawfish or smaller fish that could be captured.  i hate watching Bear Grills eat bugs.
    post edited by razmatazz05 - 2009/02/17 16:20:20

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/17 17:22:06 (permalink)
    i've ridden my cycle thru a mayfly hatch. i never thought the ones i downed as protein. even so, they didn't curb my appitite. they sure do make a mess of the cycle, teeth and beard though!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

lbflyfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 09:34:02 (permalink)
    i watched a guy eat a caddis larva once, he said this is what the fish are eathing and he wanted to see what the big deal was ha, he said it wasnt to bad.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 14:16:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Pound for pound they have more protein than steak but you would have to catch a lot of flies to get a pound...a lot of flies.

I'd heard the same thing about ants too.  I'd think the duns and nymphs would have alot more nutritional value than the spinners too, as the adults use up stored reserves of energy till they die, being unable to eat.  Still, a spinnerfall would probably provide the easiest pickings...so itd be a question of quantity vs. quality.

As far as a real survival situation goes, I'd not really be concerned with fish so much at first, but rather a good source of edible vegetable matter.  It doesnt try to run away so you use far less energy collecting it.  Also, vegetables, especially fruits and starchy tubers, will provide much more energy, which will be in short supply.

If I were trying for fish I'd leave the flyrod on shore and try to set up some way to net chubs or trout in a tiny stream.  In a true survival situation, all bets are off, and I'd gladly pay a fine in return for a rescue.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 14:58:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

I was watching Man vs. Wild the other day and had an odd thought: are mayflies fit for human consumption?  I mean, the fish eat em, but fish also dissolve hooks in their digestive tract.  I'd think if someone got stranded somewhere, a good heavy hatch might provide enough sustenance to keep someone going.

Any thoughts?  Any experiences?

it's funny you mention that, one of the dishes i enjoy is a mayfly soup
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 15:08:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dru2112

it's funny you mention that, one of the dishes i enjoy is a mayfly soup

Youre $hitting me...right?  If not...how bout a recipe?  And whats it taste like?
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 15:32:32 (permalink)
    haha yeah, im $hitting you, i have never eaten a mayfly and don't intend to.

but i do recall a survivorman where les' primary diet was crickets, and i'm sure a mayfly wouldn't be harmful to a person if eaten, particularly if you cooked them over a fire.
    as mentioned before, if encountered with a survival situation, you'd have to eat a whole hell of a lot of them to reap the benefits.  you'd most certainly be better off looking for wild edibles, or trying to kill some sort of game.  i am by no means a survival expert though.

this dude apparently has tried it though
    http://outside.away.com/magazine/0497/9704feeat.html
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/19 20:19:32 (permalink)
    If I got hungry enough I'd eat the a--hole of a menstruating skunk , good question though   NOT
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/20 07:01:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Flyguy638

If I got hungry enough I'd eat the a--hole of a menstruating skunk , good question though   NOT

Ummm...I'm not sure why you felt the need to take time out of your non-mayfly eating day to actually make that post...but whatever man...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/20 08:44:34 (permalink)
    the only thing I would think about is maybe getting some bad water in ur system from picking them out and eating them.  But, when you gotta survive...
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/21 21:09:02 (permalink)
    For whats its worth..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IouvMb4RM0&feature=channel_page

I don't know which part I like better..
    1:14 .. or .. 1:23

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Weird Mayfly Question 2009/02/24 06:03:38 (permalink)
    thats why you carry a survival kit with you some fishing line hooks water proof matcher or better yet flint and steel. btw a stainless blade knife doesn't work on flint need carbon steel.good to carry a small signal mirror in that kit too.A gill net packs easily? my qustion is this why in the heck would you venture out with out the proper provisions to save your but any way.I have seen survival kits that can pack into a altoids tin.biggest problem would be clean drinking water.if you drink bad water they will have an easy time following your brown smelly trail and find your body at the end of it! There are lots of great survival books on the market a great one was put out by the brit sas.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Jump to: