Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods

Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/14 12:42:45 (permalink)

Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods

Recently I've started to notice, more and more, a new style of fishing rod with split grips.  There are many major manufactures selling these now including Berkley, Quantum, E21 Carrot Stix, Diawa and others.  They claim that spit grips provide less weigh and greater sensitivity, especially with trhe new super lines.  Question is:  is this marketing hype or the real deal?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

29 Replies Related Threads

muskiemeat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/14 13:53:06 (permalink)
    i cant justify a 450$ rod to catch bucketmouths. you can buy 2 tuna sticks for the same price. The sh*t is gettin deep...don't fall in.

Fish to live...live to fish

One Burbot, One Scotch, One Beerg
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/14 15:00:16 (permalink)
    My .02

For less than $150 you can buy a rod that you speak of. You are correct that quite a few manufacturers are now making split grip and  most also have no cork in front the reel seat. Reel seats have improved and allow your palm to touch the blank when holding the rod. All of this allows you to have far more contact with the rod blank that traditional rods. In addition, modern rod blanks are far more sensitive than older rods.

I own 12 Kistler rods, most of them designed as I describe above. I started out with 5 of them 3 years ago.

They have absolutely made me a better fisherman, no doubt in my mind. It's my belief that I'm now feeling all the bites I get where as I wasn't with lower end rods. Good line with the combination of a sensitive rod can't be beat IMHO. The lifetime warranty aint bad either.

So, is it hype?

Not in my opinion, it's the real deal.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/14 16:40:36 (permalink)
    The major manufacturers are just duplicating what the custom builders have been doing for years. When something becomes popular, the big boys mass produce it and it's the next big innovation in rods. Custom builders do the R&D and rod companies the the credit. Wait a year of two and you'll be seeing micro guides on production rods too.

I like the looks of a split grip. It gives me another area to place decals or a decorative wrap. As for saving weight, cork weighs so little that there's not a noticeable difference. Where the sensitivity difference is made is in removing the foregrip to allow you to touch the blank in front of the reel seat. Combine a split grip, no foregrip and micro guides, all layed out properly, and that's a good stick.

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/14 18:14:49 (permalink)
    I have a st. croix legened tournament tube rod w split grip.  Its nice and i've noticed a little more sensitivity but not alot.  It does seem to balance the outfit out a little better though... my 2 cents

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/14 23:25:35 (permalink)

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/15 13:25:44 (permalink)
    Trout, can you post a pic or link of a rod with micro guides? I'm curious....

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/15 16:48:08 (permalink)
    Don't have a pic of a rod with the micros, but I have a pic of them compared to a standard 6mm guide.

sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/15 18:55:40 (permalink)
    Just to echo what trout about said, I had a custom split grip rod built 5 years ago.  That's why you buy custom rods.  The builders are constantly pushing the limits to build a better rod.  In fact I just ordered a new custom casting rod with a split grip.  Can't wait.

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/16 08:47:56 (permalink)
    Thanks. Looks to be about a third the size?....Do you still need a larger guide for the first one, as in first one from the reel on a spinning rod to prevent line slap?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/16 16:19:09 (permalink)
    The first 2 or 3 are high frame spinning guides. The micros are used as the running guides.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/16 19:13:48 (permalink)
    That would be nice on an ultralight trout or crappie rod....

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/16 20:00:03 (permalink)
    I just finished a 7' light (for 'gills) with them. I have plans to use them on a 7'6" spinning rod from a 4wt fly blank for a gill/crappie rod. I also have them on a 7'6" ML that I use for dropshotting.

As long as you're not fishing in freezing temps or with bobber stop knots, they're the cat's **** when it comes to a light weight guide.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9700
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2009/02/19 16:27:20 (permalink)
    Is this the same as just about any surf rod for sale now days, or is that something different?
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/11 19:41:28 (permalink)
    Saw a post on a rod building forum that reminded me of something I posted over 2 years ago:  This is not my post, it was made by Steve Gardner, one of the pioneers of the micro-guide movement.

Although Match guides and even the term “Micro” guides for the casting version have been around and available in Japan since the mid 70’s they remained in virtual obscurity in the US until;

2006- Bill Batson sent several Batson micro guides off to a US builder to experiment with. With the specific request that he be able to see the rods when completed.

Feb. 2007- Batson Enterprises debuted the very first technique specific bass rods built with 2 and 2.5 mm Micro guides in their booth at the I.C.R.B.E. one spinning rod and one bait caster.  Giving Custom builders who attended the show the first opportunity to look at and handle them.

July 2007- Tom Kirkman published the first of 3 articles on them using a photo of those same two rods for the cover. Effectively exposing the rest of the custom rod building world and major rod manufactures to them.

July/August 2007- After some 200+ emails, a few declaring this would be a fad that disappeared in 2 years or less.
    One in particular telling the author that; “He would be responsible for bankrupting custom builders all over the country as their trash cans filled up with these useless rods their customers had bought back”
    But most requesting info on where Micro guides could be purchased.

A little later 2007- After having those 200 equerries referred to him. Bob McKamey (formally “Custom Tackle”) was the very first supplier to take the risk and stock Batson Micro guides for sale to custom builders. Shortly after Fuji also became available.

Early fall 2008- A small group of 6 custom builders started working together. Bouncing ideas thought processes and results off each other, in order to better understand the little guides, their advantages, disadvantages, applications, and rod design.

Nov. 2008- Those same builders, who jokingly called themselves; “the Micro Maniacs”.
    After some prompting, posted a series of threads (M&M volumes 1 though 7), in an effort to compile enough info to support those experimenting with them and to enlist support from others working with the Micro’s, for the benefit of the entire rod building community. Also effectively creating printed documentation that could be used for future reference and marketing of the guides and rods built with them to the general public.

December 2008- Bill Batson shared in vol. 3 of the M&M threads that: “Batson Enterprises has to date in the past 18 months sold over 12,000 mini guides and tops.”
    Stating; “WOW not bad for a Niche product.”

January or February 2009- Micro rods were put in the hands a few select Professional Elite Bass Anglers. The first to receive a couple was Brent Chapman one built by Bill Stevens, the other by Bobby Feazel, a short time later Mr. Feazel also put some in the hands of Tom Mann Jr.

It was shortly after this time that the rest of the rod building world started to take notice of what Custom rod builders were accomplishing with these little guides.

Feb 2009 Tom Kirkman has the very first seminars on Micros guides Presented at the I.C.R.B.E.

About this same time after seeing the “handwriting on the wall” other component manufacturers started designing and importing micro guides in an effort to keep up or catch up with the trend Batson Enterprises and Custom builders had started.

Soon after, several Major rod companies (also seeing the hand writing on the wall)
    Rushed into development of rods with Micro guides on them, (Amtak, Kigan, Pacbay and others came in at the request of market demand for more product).

2010 through 2011- Component manufacturers offer redesigned versions of Micro guides and tip/tops to better serve the rigors of rods used in bass fishing and other markets.

June 2011- CRITICAL MASS maybe? (Most of the below info provided by industry insiders)

Diawa, Wright and McGill, Castaway, Falcon, Duckett Fishing, e21, Kistler, Bass
    Pro Shops and a huge listing of other public and private labels are now on the market with Micro rods.

35% of Elite Bass Professionals are now using micro guide rods.

Presently over 1,000,000 Micro guide rods (that’s right one million) are in the hands of purchasers.

This concept has impacted fishing rods of the future.

Many custom builders have the capability of building a better fishing tool!

With an average of 10 micro guides on a rod
    That’s roughly 10, 000,000 Plus Micro guides presently in use.

To Quote Bill Batson: “WOW not bad for a Niche product.”

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 02:49:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: beerman

Question is:  is this marketing hype or the real deal?

All hype. Gimme my handle, cork's cheap.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 10:02:56 (permalink)
    Amen tull!
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 10:54:49 (permalink)
    I disagree with cork being cheap.  By omitting 4.5" of cork from the rear grip on this build, I saved over $33.  As it is, there's over $40 in cork on it.
    As for weight savings, it was just a touch over half an ounce.

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 15:23:32 (permalink)
    Holy smokes, are using rain forest cork?   $8/inch!
    I had no idea cork was that much, now I know why they are leaving it off!
    I'd rather have that Walmart foam than no handle at all.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 15:36:11 (permalink)
    Good cork is hard to come by and expensive, and junk cork is abundant and isn't much cheaper. A lot of rods that you think are cork ar acually foam cores with a cork veneer. I discovered this a few years ago when doing some repairs for someone.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 15:49:32 (permalink)
    Last cork rings I bought were $3.35 Each It takes 14 to make an average 7 " grip ......

Not cheap at all

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/12 17:16:59 (permalink)
    the cork that comes on commercial rods is really rough anymore. lots of fillers. i have heard also that if you can find a good grade of cork, you will pay through the nose.

seadragon
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/13 06:41:54 (permalink)
    Have never even seen microguides down here in Oz particularly the West Coast - would really appreciate seeing a photo of a finished rod - assume using micro's they must be closer spaced to more closely flatten out the angles between blank and friction point on the guides but by adding more, even small ones, doesnt the guide binding alter the action of the blank particularly the superfine light ones.

Regards

Seadragon
    post edited by seadragon - 2011/06/13 06:42:48
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/13 07:19:05 (permalink)
    Seadragon,

With the rods I've put micros on, I have only needed to add 1 additional guide compared to the ones I've done using 6mm running guides.  The wraps are so short, that it does not affect the rod's action.  From the guides I've weighed (fuji Alconite single foot), three 4mm guides = one 6mm guide
    seadragon
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/14 07:08:38 (permalink)
    One major benefit of small guides is that they fit far more easily in a rod tube if you travel a lot ...............I am still not sure about any other benefits as I assume having never even seen them that they have SIC inserts minimising friction but question how they would go with 20lb plus braided lines here in West Oz on our sampson fish or other unstoppables.

I will have a look when in Anchorage in August to finally catch a salmon and hopefully a grayling (something I have always wanted to catch since I was a child and that's a long time ago)

Seadragon
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/30 00:45:11 (permalink)
    Trout, I have to say that the rod, I just saw is the rod of my dreams. If I could design one that would be it. If you made that, Heck of a job
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/30 15:09:18 (permalink)
    SevenMile,

That would be my work......Thanks for the compliment.  There are some more pics of that rod in a thread called North Fork Composites.  I finally finished it and had a chance to fish it.  Haven't posted pics of the finished rod yet.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/30 22:22:44 (permalink)
    Ive been looking for a 1 piece, split grip rod, for a spinning reel, and set in handle
    Do you do custom works for sale or for yourself?
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/06/30 23:16:38 (permalink)
    okuma bass rods are like 50 bucks i got one last yr was looking at them and the carrot sticks and was like screw it the carrot stick wasnt that much nicer and its done me well for bass/pike 
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Split Grip Spinning/Casting Rods 2011/07/06 06:15:50 (permalink)
    them split handle rods have been around for a long tome. I have a Michell Balance rod I bought in the 90's It is a nice spinning rod and all, But one of the middle eyes got broke off and now it is sitting in the hunting/fishing room would like to have it fixed,but to lazy and cheap to take somewhere !!!! Dave
    Jump to: