pymatuning thoughts......

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/07 10:27:36 (permalink)

pymatuning thoughts......

stopped in the ohio campgrounds on the 4th to see old friends.  one of these is a snowbird who relocated to fla. a number of years ago but continued to spend summers at pymy because of the walleye fishing.  he informed us that this was his last year.  said the last three have been pretty bad, but this is the worst.  he is a better than average fisherman and he has yet to put a keeper in the boat.  have another friend who belongs to a local walleye club.  their group has pulled out of the lake altogether.  i have waded the lake (heavy in the spring) for almost 30 years, maybe more, but was unable to get up more than a couple of times this spring.  not only did i not catch a single eye, but saw very few waders out there at all.  the gang that i have fished with over the years disappeared entirely.  there were a couple of guys here who did good in the spring, but seems a lot of fishers were unable to find fish.  makes me real sad as far as the eye fishing is concerned.  will still fish for smallies, and crappies in the spring, but it won't be the same.  by the time pa gets this problem figured out and fixed, i may be too old to fish there anymore.  sorry for the negative musings, but i needed to spew.  if anyone has heard anything postive as to the resolution to the problem up there, please post.  sure would like some good news.  (did hear the amish were catching some eyes on crawler harnesses). 
post edited by rapala11 - 2007/07/07 10:28:37

19 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/07 14:35:32 (permalink)
    I think you just touched on part of the problem.The amish are always catching them some where.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/07 16:29:26 (permalink)
    There are still lots of 'eyes in the lake, just not near the numbers that there have been in the past.  I blame the turbidity, lack of stocking (there is VERY little natural reproduction), and alewives (real good move there PA Fish & Boat).  Why Alewife were ever stocked is beyond me.  A few of the finger lakes and some of the Great Lakes areas have eyes that are doing fairly well with them around, but most of those lakes also have King Salmon, Cohos, and/or at least landlocked Atlantics to predate them as well.  Pymy doesn't have predators big and bad enough to chase and predate schools of larger alewife (that eat young perch and eyes).  I am hearing similar reports of Mosquito, which used to be an eye factory as well.  Who knows what the "problem" is, but it has basically become a crappie (no pun intended) lake. 
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/07 17:40:02 (permalink)
    storm, every thing you say is true, except for stockings.  i think pa has intensified the stocking of fry to overcome the problem, but it is like trying to put out a forest fire with an extinguisher.  not sure in alewifes are in mosquito, but the eye catch was down here this year.  they do have alot of zebra mussels and the lake is getting clearer.  has the fish commission ever admitted to creating the problems?
    bing, i did see an amish this year with 5 eyes, one of which was probably 12 inches.  have seen it before, but not sure how this affects the overall problem.

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/07 17:57:22 (permalink)
    My thought is the amish have over fished it reason im saying this is because...  I spent 3 days on the lake back in june and every day there were 14 to 16 amish boats out there pulling them in off of snod grass????  Then  i made a day trip up for a night and day and seen the same meat hunturs up there.   Then i made a final trip up for a day and the same old amish hitting it hard????  I think they are hammering it day and night and taking all fish if u keep doing this they will be fished out never seen pfbc, out checking no one which upset me i wanted to be checked so i can tell them to watch the amish they are crude operators when it comes to meat.  Im not prejudice they have rights too but i think they are useing there faith to get away with this crap.  It disapoints me to see this 12 amish on a boat women and children fishing theres where all the walleye are going over harvest im telling u guys.. Great lake to fish but not watched enough by the fish comm,
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/07 20:46:09 (permalink)
    presence on the ohio side is almost nil also.  have never been checked and i started fishing there in 1972.
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 09:31:20 (permalink)
    I do not care who poachers are ( overlimit and undersize fish is poaching in my book) I speed dial the game warden.
    We all have cell phones so enter the gamewardens number into it.

A few years ago two guys were catching steelhead in connie with a runner taking the catch back to the car. I saw them a number of times and called in their description to the gamewardens. One day they were caught and they were hauled away with their 17 steelhead catch. We all applauded as these guys were hauled off.  I have never seen them since.

Watch for the pontoon boats on the north end  of pymy filled with fisherman and a  jon boat running the catch back/forth to the shore.  I can assure you that the smaller boat is not taking bait out but running the catch into the coolers.   I have called the gamewarden but so far no luck. I am very skeptical of the legality of what is happening. However, it takes all of us to take part in this.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 10:51:45 (permalink)
    sixer, glad there are still sportsmen like you who are not afraid to get involved.  kudos to you.  as for my (and my wife's cell), i left it in a jacket years ago, ran it through the washing machine, and it came out speaking chinese.  have not owned one since.  have made calls on landlines before, but never knew if my info came of anything.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 12:17:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: STEALYS4ME

My thought is the amish have over fished it reason im saying this is because...  I spent 3 days on the lake back in june and every day there were 14 to 16 amish boats out there pulling them in off of snod grass????  Then  i made a day trip up for a night and day and seen the same meat hunturs up there.   Then i made a final trip up for a day and the same old amish hitting it hard????  I think they are hammering it day and night and taking all fish if u keep doing this they will be fished out never seen pfbc, out checking no one which upset me i wanted to be checked so i can tell them to watch the amish they are crude operators when it comes to meat.  Im not prejudice they have rights too but i think they are useing there faith to get away with this crap.  It disapoints me to see this 12 amish on a boat women and children fishing theres where all the walleye are going over harvest im telling u guys.. Great lake to fish but not watched enough by the fish comm,

I heard that the Fish Commision is stocking Amish to rid Pymy of all aquatic life.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 12:25:32 (permalink)
    LMAO!!!!!!!! first they stock alewife and now theyre stocking amish.

is the pymy lake assoc. or pfbc going to maintain the horses while all the amish are taking limits all day. those animals get mighty hungry.

just when you think youve heard all the reasons for depleted fish. its so simple, its the amish.
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 14:21:40 (permalink)
    Let's not "profile " the poachers! Just keep  the gamewarden on speed dial; again watch for the instances I mentioned and let's identify other situations and some obvious descriptions.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 15:03:58 (permalink)
    Now, that's funny!  I think a few amish got stuck in the coyote pens and musta' got set loose with 'em.

Wait a minute.  I thought the amish only poached deer!?!?!?! 

Maybe them horses learned just how good walleye taste.  Could you blame 'em?
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 16:25:09 (permalink)
    Im not going to get into the Amish thing.As far as game wardens go. I was fishing the stumps south of the causeway last year and one came flying up in a 16ft john boat.Never asked me a thing about fishing only if I had beer in my cooler.Showed him only pepsi and he took off without even a howdy.
      Now to the walleye.There are plenty of them in the lake.In the spring I can get my limit in an hour.Which I only keep my limit once or twice a year.But go out many nights to fish.Most nights I catch between 10-20 in a few hours.Best is 32 in 4 hours.Average fish 19-23"And the good news is this spring I caught many 13-15".Where as in the 3 years before I caught no fish under 17".
       I have not been on the lake this summer.But I will tell you that last summer and the one before I found them.And you might not believe it but they are in close,5-8 Feet of water.Look for weed edges inside of weeds.Say there are weeds in 7fow then a gap and then another line of weeds in 4-5fow.Hit that gap and you will catch eyes.Most of the points have edges like this(snodgrass,the orchard,stockers)

Oh and Rap,Im going to take you out next spring and get you some of those pyma eyes.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 17:16:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

Now, that's funny!  I think a few amish got stuck in the coyote pens and musta' got set loose with 'em.

Wait a minute.  I thought the amish only poached deer!?!?!?! 

Maybe them horses learned just how good walleye taste.  Could you blame 'em?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first it was george bush's fault, then tom ridge, then ed rendell, now its the amish.

i can hear the calls to the pymy game wardens now: i'd like to report 4 men taking more than 1 limit of fish per day from pymy lake. they have straw hats, beards, blue pants and shirts. 2 of the men are driving a black buggy being pulled by a palamino mare, and the other 2 are driving a black buggy being pulled by a bay gelding. the horses and buggies have been parked in the same place all day while the men are taking numerous limits of fish. i saw the same looking horses and men; straw hats, beards, blue pants and shirts the other day taking numerous limits of fish. when they leave with the fish, they hightail it across the causeway at a blistering 3 mph. use extreme caution. they are armed with long whips.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 22:08:21 (permalink)
    treefrog, i have seen your pictures and i have no doubts as to your ability.  russ williams at gateway bait and tackle parallels you in your opinion.  maybe so many of us had it so easy for years that to go out and not hit 4-5 fish is unacceptable.  one disturbing note is that lead core lenny has been so quiet.  we have mutual friends and they say that he even has had off days.  btw, if you want to add a hot spot to the spring run let me know.  be glad to pass this one on to you.  (really believe bush and the amish have a covert deal about limits.  bush also cut funding for stockings and the brothers limbaugh (ann and oxy rush) own the pa commission.........lol).  
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 23:47:11 (permalink)
    Rap,I hope you didnt take that the wrong way.I wasnt trying to be a smart **** about taking you out.I know you work hard and put in alot of time at Pymatuning.And just thought that I could show you something as I was showed.

I dont know why they have gone so shallow.Maybe from a couple years ago when the lake dropped so low?That seems to be about the time.When the water came back up the fish moved up.Who knows Alewives,Aliens.The only thing I do know is there still are many,many eyes in that lake.
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/08 23:50:08 (permalink)
    Last year I learned that it's almost best to just fish at night during the summer months. We fished alongside a couple old timers who made it a habit to come out almost every night, usually at the causeway, and anchor along the dropoff. The thing to do is to get the submersible light(s) in the water to draw the bugs, then the baitfish and then the gamefish. The walleye would always move in, sometimes earlier in the night, sometimes not until 2 or 3AM.

I watched those guys pound em' every night jigging cicadas. Always a mixed bag (lots of crappie, occasional muskie) but the walleye always moved in right after the white bass. Once you get into the white bass, the walleye are not far behind.

Try it next time at the causeway. It's to my understanding (and from what I've witnessed first hand) that this spot can be highly productive with the gamefish trapping the baitfish against the wall or embankment. We had a night where we must've put close to a 100 crappie in the boat well before dawn. The key is the submersible lights and green cicadas (never had much luck with vib-e's or sonars personally).

Edit: Also learned that on a night with clear skies, the bug activity from the submersible lights would be extremely light. Best on a night with a little cloud cover from the moon.
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2007/07/08 23:51:41
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/09 00:10:16 (permalink)
    I use that tech, all the time for crappies and works great i use a big old spot light i hang off the boat.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/09 09:45:41 (permalink)
    tree, absolutely not.  again, your posts and pics show you know what you are doing.  also, thank you ronnie, also.  i asked for some positive stuff and you guys gave me some.  plan to start up again this fall.   again, thanks 
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: pymatuning thoughts...... 2007/07/09 09:52:49 (permalink)
    In all seriousness, maybe the PA Fish Commission could stock some wipers/hybrid stripers to keep the alewife population in check.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Jump to: