question about auger blade sharpeners

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/01 21:49:01 (permalink)

question about auger blade sharpeners

I remember long time ago screwing up auger blades thinking I could just lightly use a fine knife stone,but I eventually screwed up enough after trying too many swipes of the stone against the blades . probably  took too much off the original angle or whatever. My friend also had the same bad experience trying first time sharpening auger blades.. WOW GO UNDERDOG ARIZONA! WOO HOO TAKING THE LEAD! GREAT GAME! BBL .. oh well! az screwed up too much too!
post edited by backin79 - 2009/02/01 22:18:10

9 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/01 22:13:01 (permalink)
    WOW!!!!!
    what a game, one for history. they came so close but in the end , so far away

great game to the end.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/01 22:20:01 (permalink)
    yeah no doubt that was some tight game! That was great right down to the last fumble.lol
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/01 22:26:19 (permalink)
    So I bought this hand lazer about five seasons ago, been taking good care obviously since the blades are still zipping through almost effortlessly compared to other hand augers I previously owned. I guess it is time to find the sharpening tool for this auger. I am going to go with the manufacturers sharpening tool specified for the auger blades.
    REEL FORCE
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/01 22:51:11 (permalink)
    Bought this knife at Walmarts a while back - Eskimos use it - it only sharpens on one side- figure it will be good for auger blades- figure if i mess them up when there dull i still got to replace them ... gonna give it a try ...
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/01 23:29:28 (permalink)
    Gentlemen:

Best deal on auger blades is to take the old one in as a trade to Fish 307 and get another to replace it for only $15 that has been sharpened by them.  Or you could take the old blade in to Saratoga Bait & Tackle and they have a guy who will sharpen it for $16, but it takes about a week and a half to get the blade back.
    I also tried sharpening mine on a grinding wheel and it did no good.  BTW Thank you very much for Steelers coming back to make me $260 richer in my daughter's workplace pool.

Eagle Ed
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/02 00:03:23 (permalink)
    The blades on my auger were new last Feburary. Used at least 20 times last season and I've used them 5 times this season. Today they started drilling hard. Not wanting to screw up the blades before I cut the holes I needed (like I've read so many have) I struggled through cutting my holes then used the Lazer Deluxe Ice Auger Sharpener. Holy cow! I ran it over each blade 10 times and they cut like they were new. Now I know they were not in real bad shape to start with and this probably won't help super dull blades but if your blades are just starting to loss their edge give it a try before getting new ones. I've seen the sharpener sold on line for about 8 bucks to 12.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/02 17:53:11 (permalink)
    I googled strikemaster, this is the manufacture for my lazer hand auger, they too did not have auger blade sharpeners, I suppose my blades are fine for at least the remainder of this season.. I think gainder had some kind of sharpeners but, I think I best lightly use a fine stone and only a couple light strokes to see if it is at all possible to perform self maintainace.. agree with Ed that the best thing is to just trade in the old ones for a discount set of new/factory sharpened ones. it is 20 bucks + 6 shipping for lazer blades. I will also want to try (gently this time)sharpening these blades towards end of season just to see if it is possible.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/02 18:27:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: backin79

I googled strikemaster, this is the manufacture for my lazer hand auger, they too did not have auger blade sharpeners, I suppose my blades are fine for at least the remainder of this season.. I think gainder had some kind of sharpeners but, I think I best lightly use a fine stone and only a couple light strokes to see if it is at all possible to perform self maintainace.. agree with Ed that the best thing is to just trade in the old ones for a discount set of new/factory sharpened ones. it is 20 bucks + 6 shipping for lazer blades. I will also want to try (gently this time)sharpening these blades towards end of season just to see if it is possible.
    This what Stikemaster sell for a sharpener at thier site http://www.strikemaster.com/store/icefish_accessories/lazer_sharpener.html not for heavy duty just to maintain.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about auger blade sharpeners 2009/02/02 19:10:57 (permalink)
    wisdom, thanks , I thought I did a thorough search on both fish usa and than I tried the strikemaster site for sharpeners, Apparently they do make a sharpener. I will have to consider ordering one along with replacements blades for next season..  Gander mt. has similiar auger blade sharpeners at about half the price but I must be sure the sharpener  meet the same specifications , that is the proper degree angle specified for these auger blades.  
    Jump to: