When do Brown Trout spawn in PA?

Author
Hefalump
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/30 18:43:00 (permalink)

When do Brown Trout spawn in PA?

When I fished for stocked Browns in NY's Catskills streams I found the Fall to be the best.  It seemed every fish was on a spawning run...  I don't know what strain was stocked, but over the years it seemed as if Fall was more productive than Spring.
In the few years of fishing for Steelhead on Erie tribs I've taken a few Browns in the Fall... but more in the Spring. 
Is this my imagination, insanity, etc or do more Browns spawn in the Fall than in the Spring on PA streams?  Especailly interested if anyone knows the spawning of the strain PA is going to start stocking.
    Mike

13 Replies Related Threads

3way
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/01/30 19:35:38 (permalink)
    In general the window is oct-dec.

"There are those who can live without wild places and those who can not.".... Aldo Leopold
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/01/30 19:42:35 (permalink)
    I have heard of Fall spawning rainbow strains but never have heard of browns spawning in the Spring.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/01/30 19:52:14 (permalink)
    Everything I ever read said that fall is the time when browns spawn. In fact I've checked out some stream condition reports for other streams in the state and they posted throughout the late fall and early winter that they were on they're spawning redds. 

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/01/31 01:09:46 (permalink)
    Browns spawn in fall, period. Some browns in lake systems will come shallow and/or into  tribs for feeding purposes during spring, but definitley not with spawning on their minds.

The general brown spawn time is early to mid October, right up through the end of December. As with all fish, each strain/systems time frame for "peak spawning" is a little different.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/01/31 01:19:05 (permalink)
    Yep,, Brown trout spawn in the fall.  And it is NEVER a good idea to fish for spawning trout especially in creeks with natural reproduction.  Disturbing them on their redds is a sure fire way to stress the fish and cause a decline in spawn.  But, of course, someone will have to say that that's the best (and easiest) time of the year to catch them.  SO I will say that I, personally, try to NEVER fish over spawning fish.  Too  much chance to cause harm to the spawn cycle.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    katfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 00:06:52 (permalink)
    i seen them running up elk last week go gettem... the run is on!
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 15:46:08 (permalink)
    I usually spawn a few brown trout after a night of chili, nacho's and beer.

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 16:31:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

And it is NEVER a good idea to fish for spawning trout especially in creeks with natural reproduction. 

I suppose you're talking about Rainbows, Browns, and Brookes..

Don't we all fish for spawning trout if we're fishing for brook?

I read somewhere that brook trout spawn year round, and have very little requirements for spawning.. Exactly why you come across native holes holding 30 2 inch fish, no?

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 16:34:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Uncle Kevin

I usually spawn a few brown trout after a night of chili, nacho's and beer.

Zing!
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 16:54:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

And it is NEVER a good idea to fish for spawning trout especially in creeks with natural reproduction. 

I read somewhere that brook trout spawn year round, and have very little requirements for spawning.. Exactly why you come across native holes holding 30 2 inch fish, no?

As far as I know, Brook trout spawn in the fall.  The reason for the holes full of small brookies, that has more to do with lack of food in those tiny streams.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 17:13:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stillhead

ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

As far as I know, Brook trout spawn in the fall.  The reason for the holes full of small brookies, that has more to do with lack of food in those tiny streams.

Think you're right Stillhead.. Reread the first few pages of Even Brook Trout Get the blues and thought that's where I thought I heard about spawning all year..

"Brook trout also have very loose spawning requirements, so they tend to overpopulate, stretch the food supply and become stunted, sort of like bluegills in a pond with no bass to eat up most of the little ones."

Didn't read the whole chapter, but doubt it said anything about it, reading over it..

Either ways, in any season, brook trout (natives & wild) are hard to resist. So beautiful..
    I'd rather fish for brook trout than steelhead ANY day.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 19:16:27 (permalink)
    flyfishermanPA,
        One of the easiest ways to spot a malnourished fish is by the unusually large size of it's head in proportion to the body,  (look at your pic).  This is caused by overcrowding and lack of other foods.  It's also why brookies will usually hit anything that comes into their feeding range.  They also tend to become very canibalistic
        If you want to have some fun, and actually possibly help the fishery, try walking along a stream with some natural food (like salmon eggs)  (or even bread) and just toss a few into a hole.  You will be amazed at the number of fish in those small streams.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: When do Brown Trout spawn in PA? 2009/02/05 20:04:00 (permalink)

If you want to have some fun, and actually possibly help the fishery, try walking along a stream with some natural food (like salmon eggs)  (or even bread) and just toss a few into a hole.  You will be amazed at the number of fish in those small streams.

This fishery has taken a lot.. Passed down from grandfather, I'm sure he filled his creel w/3 inch brookies over and over...

With preference to chumming.. I don't fish bait, but am sure there are some old saimen eggs laying around, yet moldy.. still ok? edit.. Not fishing eggs, just throwing
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Good book...great author.

I enjoy his books. Sounds like he repeats himself a lot. Went thru a week and read two of his in class & haven't picked another up.
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2009/02/05 20:05:50
    Jump to: