Walleye Harnesses

Author
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/30 09:48:33 (permalink)

Walleye Harnesses

So I am going through the boat boxes and am looking at restocking the harness boxes. What worked best for everyone last year. I have plenty of the staples, Black/Purple, Confusion. Watermelon, Boy/Girl. But not a whole lot of variety besides that. A few chartruse in there as I seem to pick up some stray Steel on them. I have a pretty wide selection of Stinger spoons and it seems like perch and confusion are my best in those. So what worked for everyone last year?

19 Replies Related Threads

Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 09:51:20 (permalink)
    I had very good success with halloween, plus the others you mentioned.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 10:08:02 (permalink)
    The ones you mentioned plus rainbow trout. I like to run spoons most of the time because you dont need to check for bait when you go through junk fish and they seem to work just as well. the stingers suck though....all the paint comes off after a couple trips.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 10:10:34 (permalink)
    I clear coat my stingers with an enamel, seems to do the trick keepin the paint on em and the fish dont mind.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 13:17:19 (permalink)
    I tied a few with light blue and silver blades and clear and light blue beads and caught a few with them. The purple/black, purple/green and watermellon were the top performers though.
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 16:10:34 (permalink)
    My selection is limited to say the least but what I have seems to do the trick. I consistently set up on the starboard side a big purple dipsy set at 3 1/2 with a blueberry muffin harness and a big gold dipsy set at 1 to
    1 1/2 with a monkey puke harness on it. On the port side I set it up just the opposite The gold on the outside with a confusion harness and a purple dipsy on the inside with a kavorkian harness. If I run my riggers I usually run monkey puke, confusion, blueberry muffin, firetiger, boy/girl or copper watermellon spoons. I also use a stacker release on the riggers. I dont have many other patterns than that but always have at least 3 back ups of each one just incase.

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 16:22:28 (permalink)
    nuke, i heard that works well with the stingers, i havent tried it yet but i plan on buying some because im going to start painting my own blades this spring. hopefully it will work for me, i probably have 10 watermelon stingers that are almost blanks.
    Also i dont think colors matter as much as speed and depth but thats just my opinion.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 16:58:30 (permalink)
    The harnesses that produced best for me were:

Red beads with silver blades, and orange beads with copper blades. By the end of the season I was fishing these colors almost exclusively.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 19:15:17 (permalink)
    It goes speed depth color in # of importance....

All is good as long as ur running watermellon

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 21:05:51 (permalink)
     On days when there is a lot of chop and trolling with the waves is about the only option, I use the drunk driver technique. Lacking the higher dollar, higher tech speed sensors and a sea anchor, I try to set my speed by averaging the difference between the little eagle paddle wheel and garmin GPS. If I dont pick anything up I will start steering hard from (for example) SE to NE and back SE swinging the lines. By doing this I manage to get the harnesses and spoons to fall within the speed zone as I zig-zag.
    post edited by CRANKMASTER - 2009/01/30 21:09:38
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/30 21:24:16 (permalink)
    The classic...watermelon is always the hottest producer in the boat....Orange crush/copper blades is good too.  Caught very few on spoons last year...those OH guys swear by the spoons, but not me...those guys think the same about me getting them on the harnesses out there.  So it all comes down to what you have confidence in, once again.

Do you build your own J or do you need some?  I make all of my own custom harnesses with a little added hooking power

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/31 08:51:19 (permalink)
    Shameless self promotion by shutup...lol

CB
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/31 14:59:29 (permalink)
    [watch it - the NFL outlawed stickum..............  LOL   Dave (25)quote]ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I make all of my own custom harnesses with a little added hooking power
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/31 16:59:04 (permalink)
    LOL guys!

Great to see you finally made it out of those woods safely there Jeff....Can't wait to get back out on the big lake again....it will be here before ya know it!  I was building a custom fish cleaning table today...

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/01/31 22:34:58 (permalink)
    Its been a long and cold winter so far (so much for global warming)....deer hunting wasnt the best to me this season...lots and lots of humbling days in the woods....Missed a good oppertunity at a nice buck during archery (he just wouldnt come into a shooting lane)...but i dropped a decent 8 during WV firearms season and a doe in PA....Almost bought myself a new boat as well back in October...but im afraid its gonna be one more season at least with the Trophy until i find what I am looking for...

Looking forward to hitting the reefs here in a few months....only 4 months to go and ill be in full swing with fresh walleye fillets.

GO STEELERS!

CB
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/02/01 07:18:49 (permalink)
    We all sound like a bunch of steelhead fisherman crying 4 months before the season gets started LMFAO!!!! I to am starting to go through my assortment of harnesess checking hooks retying leaders checking to see if any of them are rusted and consolIdateing,I have way too many!! wish I had a dollar for every fish we caught using boy/girl,ludington watermelon and red death with the new serrated willowleafs blades form B-----'sB---'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/02/01 08:48:31 (permalink)
    shhhh....

CB
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/02/01 11:44:10 (permalink)
    Hey bagger check out the hewescraft line of boats, Wow what a great lakes boat,My buddy bought one this winter going to the windy city to pick it up at the end of march.
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Its been a long and cold winter so far (so much for global warming)....deer hunting wasnt the best to me this season...lots and lots of humbling days in the woods....Missed a good oppertunity at a nice buck during archery (he just wouldnt come into a shooting lane)...but i dropped a decent 8 during WV firearms season and a doe in PA....Almost bought myself a new boat as well back in October...but im afraid its gonna be one more season at least with the Trophy until i find what I am looking for...

Looking forward to hitting the reefs here in a few months....only 4 months to go and ill be in full swing with fresh walleye fillets.

GO STEELERS!

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/02/01 13:25:32 (permalink)
    I would not mind buying some or trading flys for some
    if anyone wanted to sell or tade
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Walleye Harnesses 2009/02/02 09:41:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D.T.FISH

Hey bagger check out the hewescraft line of boats, Wow what a great lakes boat,My buddy bought one this winter going to the windy city to pick it up at the end of march.
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

GO STEELERS!

Hewscraft is a nice boat....not big enough for my liking.  My next one will be 26' or bigger.

CB
    Jump to: