help

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2521
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/10 00:03:37 (permalink)

help

Could anyone give me advice on the pros or cons of the various flasher's or other electronic devices to use for icefishin? Not sure what brand or model would provide the most bang for the buck. The Markum LX 5 has caught my eye but it's a lot of money to spend.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

6 Replies Related Threads

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: help 2009/01/10 00:54:19 (permalink)
    This has been discussed in length in various places, but here's a thread to start with:

http://forums.fishusa.com/marcum_or_vex/m_144953/tm.htm

As for me, I own a vexilar fl-8 slt, a new this year marcum lx-5, and an OVS (precursor to Marcum) underwater camera.  I love the vex and the marcum...wouldn't fish without one or the other.  The marcum has some nice new features like adjustable zoom windows anywhere in the water column, and a few others.  Is it worth the $550 price tag?  It's too soon for me to make the judgement, but I really like what I see so far.  Another option to consider is the marcum lx-3tc...nice units and have nearly all the bells and whistles the lx-5 has.  The new vex fl12 and fl20's look pretty sweet as well.  I have no first hand experience with either the new humminbird or showdown units.
       The bottom line is:  I don't think you can go wrong with either a vex or marcum flasher, and I don't think you necessarily have to spend $500 to get a good unit either.
       On the other hand, the camera was largely a waste of my money...it's been nice on a few occasions to scout new water or to keep my kids occupied, but I tend to spend more time monkeying around with the camera than I do actually fishing.  In addition, on most of the lakes I fish, the water is too murky to see clearly, especially with heavy snow cover blocking out the ambient light.
       Just my opinions...hope I helped.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2521
    RE: help 2009/01/10 11:16:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I will check out the units that were recomended.
    post edited by bigfoot - 2009/01/15 18:18:03

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

beebek
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: help 2009/01/15 15:30:11 (permalink)
      When doing your research,  dont forget to check out the X67C from Lowrance.   Most everyone that owns one loves it (me too!).  IMO,  best choice if you also want to have the option of using it in the boat too.
    Pritch
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: help 2009/01/15 16:17:19 (permalink)
    Do some research on the Showdown. I have one after using a vexilar for years. I love the showdown and you cant beat the price.
    gusgus637
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: help 2009/01/15 17:40:14 (permalink)
    I have the Humminbird ice-45 and love it.  I have always owned Vex, and took a gamble to try out some new technology.  the Humminbird works just as good as any vex.  The screen is double the size of the Vex, and the Zoom feature is amazing.  I like the digital screen which gives me an instant and easy to read depth along with a ton of other features.  It also has 2 cone settings for the transducer which is awsome. 
    Pritch
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: help 2009/01/15 18:25:49 (permalink)
    Glad to hear that about that humminbird. I have not heard anything until now. The more competition out there the better the prices will stay. Enjoy your flasher.
    Jump to: