Circle hooks

Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/25 14:43:16 (permalink)

Circle hooks

In the past I've used circle hooks, with live bait, to catch fish in saltwater.  No setting of the hook, just reel in.  Most if not all the fish were hooked in the side or top of the mouth.  I've never used them in freshwater until yesterday.  I bought a package of snelled circle hooks, size 8.  I caught a few crappies and catfish.  Most were hooked in the mouth, but a few swallowed the hook.  I always thought that this wasn't supposed to happen with circle hooks.  My question is:  do you think you get better hook-ups with the circle hooks in freshwater?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

2 Replies Related Threads

boolywugger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Circle hooks 2007/06/25 18:36:35 (permalink)
    I use Blackbird semi circle hooks for steelhead. They hold minnows great and the hook set is superb if you just reel in- don't try to yank it! I have caught and released a bunch of fish with them and I only ever had 1 fish take it deep. 90% are in the corner of the mouth and easy to pop out ( I debarb as well). i found a size 10 is the best. Try them this fall you won't be disappointed! Gander Mtn and Dicks usually have them.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Circle hooks 2007/06/27 16:28:30 (permalink)
    i often use Gamakatsu circle hooks for fishing live bait. i usually use size 8 hooks for trout and siize 1/0 for catfish. about %90 of the time it seems like the fish will get hooked in the corner of the mouth which makes it a lot easier to release fish unharmed. fish will get hooked deeply though if you let them take the bait too long.
    Jump to: