New first on a fly

Author
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/19 21:12:37 (permalink)

New first on a fly

Did some bass bugging last night after work.  After catching several LMB, I had a odd looking take. After a brief battle on the 7wt, a nice spotted gar came to hand.  I estimated the overall length at 20" and released it.  Unfortunately, I had no camera. 

Speaking of "rough fish" Anybody ever catch a bowfin on a fly?  I might have to try that, as they are valiant fighters and grow to quite impressive sizes.w_w

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

3 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: New first on a fly 2007/06/19 21:29:56 (permalink)
    Well, that story sounds familiar.  I was so inspired by the takes from those gar that I've got a whole batch of new pencil-poppers painted up and ready to tie feathers onto.  What was the color of that deer popper? 

As for bowfin...  http://www.bowfinanglers.com/

"it seems they have one very hard mouth."

"They have tough mouths and take a good hookset, and it sure excites them. Carry a stout leather glove and you can lip them (or easily grab a gar). The teeth are sharp and will shred your fingers."

" I have been an avid Topwater fisherman for a long time now and quite often was puzzled when I had large fish strike several times and fail to get a hook set. Eventually I hooked one and it was a wonderful Fin! While not easy (Fins aren't really built to be efficient topwater lure strikers), it can be some of the most exciting Fin fishing you've ever tried. Better than some traditional "sport" fish, Fins can really blow up the water when hitting topwater.
    I have had the most luck with either topwater popper type lures or medium / small torpedo lures and the magic color? - White. I have only caught a fin once on any other color and that was a frog print torpedo bait. For some reason White around dusk in an area that you know holds Fins will definately produce. Be patient though - Fins really are not built to strike topwater very efficently and often miss the lure but the wonderful thing is that they are so darn determined they will often strike again immediately or even on the next cast or two casts !"

Well, w_w, I think we're onto something here.  All we've got to do is find them, 'cause it sounds like we're throwing th right stuff.  They sound fun.  WORD!
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: New first on a fly 2007/06/20 09:36:49 (permalink)
    Conneaut Lake and Geneva Swamp at Custard's, there are plenty.

Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: New first on a fly 2007/06/21 00:01:16 (permalink)
    I do know of a few Erie die hards who like to target bowfin on the fly.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Jump to: