weekend

Author
mrfly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/25 12:12:28 (permalink)

weekend

Would really like to get some idea how this weekend is shaping up.Would like to know from some locals how much snow is still around.Temps are going into the 60's and would like to know if tribs will be blownout sat and sun.Thank you and MERRYCHRISTMAS.
post edited by mrfly - 2008/12/25 14:55:19

6 Replies Related Threads

Rainbow1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: weekend 2008/12/25 22:06:59 (permalink)
    Still about 8 inches @I90 and south. Ice under the recent snow from today. Warm Temps will bring snow melt add rain and you got it blow out. Night temps above freezing on Friday too.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: weekend 2008/12/26 05:40:46 (permalink)
    One thing I was wondering about, when the ice jams up on the creeks and the creeks are getting washed out from so much rain, do the fish get forced back into the lake by the ice burgs? On Thursday the creeks looked pretty nasty with ice jams.

That looked pretty dangerous if you happened to be in the way of a ice burg.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: weekend 2008/12/26 06:02:59 (permalink)
    Kirk, the answer to your question is no. When I lived in Erie and was much younger, we use to break holes in the ice on some of the bigger holes on the creeks, fish somewhere else for about 20 minutes. Go back to the newer area and fish. The fish would settle down and bite. This method does work, but the ice would get too thick to break after about a week. People don't realize a lot of those fish spend the winter in the streams, ice or no ice. I am not telling anyone to try this type of fishing, but I can tell you that you won't have to worry about crowds!  P.S. Shawn says hi!
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: weekend 2008/12/26 09:38:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: captnkirk

One thing I was wondering about, when the ice jams up on the creeks and the creeks are getting washed out from so much rain, do the fish get forced back into the lake by the ice burgs?

I don't know what happens at the few hundred yards near the mouth, but the fish upstream don't get washed out.
    More than a few get ground up into fish paddies though.

some years it's amazing that most don't get ground up when the ice bust loose

..L.T.A.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: weekend 2008/12/26 13:39:11 (permalink)
    Genie,

I've seen many ice chunks with ground up Steelies at the mouths, following a blowout.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: weekend 2008/12/26 14:23:49 (permalink)
    as for weather here in Erie as of 2:22 pm, Friday, off and on rain (very light) and only snow/ice piles left.  Everything else has melted.  May be a light coating of snow in some places, but snow in downtown Erie is almost completely melted.  Hope it helps.

LoveGlove United
    Jump to: