Boga Grip

Author
steelehead
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/24 12:20:26 (permalink)

Boga Grip

Does anyone use one of these (15lb. or 30lb. model)? I was wondering if they are worth the money? Do they harm the fish in any way? Are they that much better than the $30 - $50 competitors versions? Merry Christmas to all.

Do fish pee?

24 Replies Related Threads

8point
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 14:21:45 (permalink)
    I've been testing the 30 lb. model for a few weeks on steelhead. I first started with the 15 lb. model, but thought the jaws were a bit too small. I'm convinced that this device does not damage or harm to the fish in any way. In fact, once attached to the lower jaw, it actually is much better for the fish because hooks are not only easier to remove, you don't have the fish jumping all over the place on the ground (this in itself causes more damage than we realize). So I would recommend the 30 lb. model, but the 15 lb. model would do just fine.
    BTW, a friend of mine tried the competitors less expensive model and was totally frustrated with it. The jaws wouldn't hold onto the fish and would slip every time. He returned it for a Boga original and is now completely satisfied.
    post edited by 8point - 2008/12/24 14:25:55
    SteelheadJim
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 15:16:26 (permalink)
    Why do you feel it is necessary to use a boga to release a steelhead? I simply grab the leader and kneel down in a foot of water or so. I do not believe in bringing the fish to shore. Use a forceps to twist the hook out and she is gone. You can still pose with the fish for a pic. Bogas for steelhead? Thumbs down from me.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 15:19:49 (permalink)
    maybe to weigh it ?
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 16:10:44 (permalink)
    I use the 30 pound model. Love it I have used another brand and it was cheap the boga is quality made in the usa worth the money.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2986
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 16:25:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteelheadJim

Why do you feel it is necessary to use a boga to release a steelhead? I simply grab the leader and kneel down in a foot of water or so. I do not believe in bringing the fish to shore. Use a forceps to twist the hook out and she is gone. You can still pose with the fish for a pic. Bogas for steelhead? Thumbs down from me.

I do the same thing but once in awhile It would be nice to weigh a particular fish instead of guessing.
    Also, I probably loose more flies trying to get my fly out when the fish decides it want to thrash and fight some more. ( I have a tendency to underplay fish) (Hate that "between the legs" thing)
    If I had a Boga, I'd use it.

Gone Fishing
    SteelheadJim
    Novice Angler
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 17:24:52 (permalink)
    There will come a time in every steelheaders life that the weight of any particular fish will mean nothing. I have released 2 20+ pound steelheads and never gave a thought to weighing the fish. ( Situk River )Maybe he only went 18, so what? You can figure a 40 inch fish will be close to 20 or better. I personally witnessed 2 of my friends release 42 and 43 1/2 inch steelheads that were certainly in the 30lb class. They never considering weighing such a fish. Hanging a steelhead from the jaws to KNOW how much he weighs? Ridiculous.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 17:27:20 (permalink)
    worth the money and makes handling them much easier and it keeps your hands out of the cold water when releasing them,get the 30 if you plan on fishing for salmon.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 17:39:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Also, I probably loose more flies trying to get my fly out when the fish decides it want to thrash and fight some more.

me too...more often than not

Now i drag 'em upon the bank and pin them down on the rocks with my knee and yank the fly out with my roach clips...
    umm..I mean my forceps.
    Most of the time they swim away after i kick 'em back in.

side benefit of knee lock down, is sometimes I'll get some fresh  loose eggs to sell to the bait slingers....

..L.T.A.

jeeters
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 17:44:07 (permalink)
    worth its weight in gold just for all the reties you'll need without one, the best setup is net the fish then boga next and you'll never have to touch the fish and you won't loose your rigs either.As far as weighing fish there are alot of people on the reports page that need a boga ( so we don't have to read , we caught thirty yesterday they all weighed between 10 and 14 pounds. lol )
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 17:44:40 (permalink)
    seriously though...

what's the difference in weight between the 15 pnd and 30?

PLEASE don't say 15 pounds...

I mean physical weight difference  between the two?
    I'd of had some years ago, but I carry too much stuff now, and another 1-2  pound chunk of gear doesn't exactly excite me

..L.T.A.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 18:25:52 (permalink)
    Does lifting the fish(steelhead) by the lower jaw as you would to weigh them do any harm to the fish? If you can please respond with an explanation not just a Y/N answer.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 18:56:48 (permalink)
    I am sure no matter what product you check out there is always some risk factor involved. If you are weighing fish above 20lbs  I would guess how it grips it would tear up the lip from looking at it. I guess just picture a paper bag with barely any weight and now place 20lbs in there and try to lift. Not saying skin is comparable to a bag but theres a much greater chance since the gripper is very tiny and places all the weight on an area about a half in wide. I guess the only way to truly know would be are people seeing repeat catches with this product. At least its not by the gills.

Not saying you want to carry more gear along fishing but I mainly fish for carp now and we use a weigh mat. Basically its a padded mat that can fold together and there are two handles at the top to weigh the fish. Basically you wet the mat so no slime is removed and once placed on the mat the fish calms down much quicker and the release you just take it down to the water and open it up and swim it back out. 

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 20:02:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steelehead

Does anyone use one of these (15lb. or 30lb. model)? I was wondering if they are worth the money? Do they harm the fish in any way? Are they that much better than the $30 - $50 competitors versions? Merry Christmas to all.

TO ME THEY SEEM LIKE AN EXPENSIVE ACCESSORY. NORMALLY YOU CAN PLAY THE FISH INTO THE SHALLOWS AND GET THE HOOK OUT WITH FORCEPTS WITHOUT MUCH PROBLEM. AS FAR AS WEIGHT YOU CAN JUST LOOK AT THE FISH, IE. A KINDA FAT FISH ABOUT 28 " WEIGHS 8-9 POUNDS,30" WEIGHS 9-10 POUNDS, 32" MAYBE 11-12 POUNDS, ETC.
    I'VE SEEN A LOT OF GUIDES USING THEM, WEIGHING 6 POUND FISH FOR THE CLIENT. IF YOU GET A REALLY BIG FISH AND YOU WANT TO RELEASE IT, JUST MEASURE LENGHT AND GIRTH, YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT FROM THAT. THEY LOOK BULKY AND COST 100 BUCKS, NOT FOR ME.   GLEN
    AS FAR AS DAMAGING THE FISH, WHO KNOWS, THEY ALL GET A LITTLE DAMAGED WHEN YOU CATCH THEM, COURSE NOT AS MUCH AS THE DEER WHEN YOU GET THEM, I WOULDN'T LOSE SLEEP OVER IT
    ScrambledEgger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 21:48:24 (permalink)
    I have been using a 30# boga for 5-6 years.  I love it.  I tried the 15# version but was too small and didn't handle steelhead very well.  I use my boga but when it gets below 30 degrees, I keep it in my jacket pocket as it will freeze.  The boga weights the fish and is geat to release a fish without getting your hand wet.  It is also good for holding a fish for a photo.  I am trying out a new toy..a lippa4life release tool.  It is the new plasic model.  I will see how it works in this cold weather period but when the temp is better than 35 degrees, the boga is the best.
    tribster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 22:10:04 (permalink)
    I have the 15lb and I use it alot.  in high water a net is preferred but the boga is a good safe way to hold a fish and not put a hook in you hand.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/24 22:37:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ScrambledEgger

I am trying out a new toy..a lippa4life release tool.  It is the new plasic model. 

do let us know, S-egger.
    as mentioned, the only reason I don't have one now is because of weight

does the plastic one have a scale too?

side note, I've seen some cheap Bogo knock offs that looked obviously inferior and chincy compared to the genuine article .
    I've also seen  Rapala's version that's looks better than the cheap $25 Chinese version.

has anyone used Rapala's  lip grabber? It's few bukz less than a Bogo
    How does it compare to a genuine Bogo?

..L.T.A.

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/25 00:27:52 (permalink)
    "There comes a time in every steelheaders life when the weight of a particular fish etc. etc."  I hope even after all these years I still never reach that time cause when I do it's probably time to call it a wrap. Different strokes for different folks.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/25 01:33:30 (permalink)
    I have both.  The cheaper version that I use for steelhead since it is lighter in weight and easy to transport on the streams and the original that I keep on my boat for muskies.  The original, was modified with an 18" extension handle to keep our hands away from those toothy critters and hooks.  They both serve their purpose and are nice to have IMO.  Take care all and Happy Holidays!!

p.s. a friend of mine had the plastic model and it froze up in the winter when it got wet. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/12/25 01:35:19

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/25 08:32:25 (permalink)
    I've got the Rapala 20# model. It worked great on walleye but i've never used it on steelhead. A little heavy for its size but it works great.
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/25 08:51:32 (permalink)
    Had the Rapala Lip-Gripper and was very disappointed with it's ability to hold fish.
    Got me a Boga 15 last year and it is a quality tool, that is made in the U.S A.
    It's worth every penny. Saves flies, tippet and your fingers.
    I keep it on a Gear-Keeper, in a slide pocket I sewed inside my vest.
    Never knows it's there, till you need it.
    SteelheadJim
    Novice Angler
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/26 12:14:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

"There comes a time in every steelheaders life when the weight of a particular fish etc. etc."  I hope even after all these years I still never reach that time cause when I do it's probably time to call it a wrap. Different strokes for different folks.

Call it a wrap? That cant be right. I guess I most likely have been steelheading a few more years than you. 27 years. I still marvel at each and every steelhead I catch. Over the years I have caught around 3,000 steelhead. Not because I am a great fisherman, which I am not. I fish hard and have logged over 120 days per year in a number of seasons. I cannot imagine not wading rivers in pursuit of steelheads. It is what I enjoy most in life. I have had the good fortune to live in Alaska for ten years and have also fished British Columbia, Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Ohio and PA for steelhead. Just because I do not care how much any indiviual fish weighs does not dampen my passion. If I ever lose my passion for chasing steelheads in rivers, I guess I would jump off the highest bridge and call it a wrap. 
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/26 12:46:33 (permalink)
    The boga was really designed for saltwater. It is built to last a lifetime with stainless steel parts, you'll not have to really worry about corrosion...

But here is what I have read over and over again from biologist regarding whether or not it will harm fish. I hope this doesn't get into a debate on that, as this was not the original poster's question.

First things first...I LOVE the Boga! It is the easiest way to handle ANY fish.

But it can, if used as intended, harm a fish. First off, This really only implies to larger fish.
    By holding a large fish by it's lower jaw has been known, in differant studies, to dislocate the bottom jaw. There are also a bunch of muscles that can become damaged from holding a fish this way. But they say internal injury is the main causes of death from it.
     A fish is not built to be able to support the weight of it's own organs. They rely on bouyancy in the water to support thier insides. Just taking a fish out of water the "ol fashion" way even does some harm, to some degree.

But when you lift a fish by it's lower jaw you can cause internal injury which will lead to the fish's death. Granted, this isn't the case 100% of the time, but the studys that have been done proved the survival of released fish drastically decreased from holding them this way.

But this doesn't mean Boga Grips or any lip gripping tool is bad, it just means you have to take a few precautions when using them.

Don't ever weigh your fish with the Boga. I know this is the real intention of having this expensive tool, but it's dangerous to the fish. Now if you plan on keeping your catch than have at it!! If you must weigh your fish before releasing it, than put the fish in a net and weigh the net with the Boga! Never hold the fish by it's lower jow without additional support.

That brings me to my next thing. When you lip the fish, place your other hand underneath the belly and support it's internal organs. Never just allow it to suspend.

This is the correct way to hold a fish with a lip griping tool....

Here's a death sentence for this big snook....

Now you have to ask yourself if you really need to spend the extra money on a Boga Grip?
    What I mean by this, is that if you have now decided you don't want to use it for weighing your fish (smart idea), but still want to use a lip gripping tool, than I will suggest you NOT to spend your money on a boga. Like I stated from the start, they were built for saltwater. They WILL NEVER rust on you, but are a bit "over kill" for here. I own one from my time spent down south, but have found the Berkley Lip Grip does the same thing just as well, but for a fraction of the price. If you use it in saltwater, it won't last but a season or two, but I have never had a problem with using it here.

I own the small one that fits right into your pocket and found it works just as well. Infact, being that it's much lighter in weight and more compact, I find it's actually a better investments. THis one has lipped a few fish in it's day and still works like new!

SO you be the judge...If you have extra bucks to spend on the Boga, than go for it! You will NEVER have to replace it. BUt if you would like to save some cash than go with the cheaper models. They all function about the same!

If you decide to go with the boga than make sure you use a float. Expecially if used in a boat or just near deep water.

Rod Man
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/26 22:07:46 (permalink)
    I have a Berkley 12" lip grip with measuring tape (Model BGLGT).  It retails for $29.95.  It is lower quality than a Boga but works perfectly on steelhead. I rarely touch the fish but it allows control and ends the flopping about or damaging the slime coat. It has never slipped. Quick hook removal with a hemostat and they are on their way. I don't get wet and stay much warmer. It isn't necessary to lift fish vertical.
    I attached a D ring on the front of my fishing jacket and hang it by jaws ready for use.  I would recommend this tool for the price.
    Main limitation is in deeper water without a beaching spot. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Boga Grip 2008/12/26 22:15:32 (permalink)
    Heres another example of the proper way to hold the fish on a Boga demonstrated by my daughter...this one is my modified version with the 18" extended handle....a must for the muskies!

Another photo of the Boga in proper use mode...

Jump to: