Brule River Method to catch steelhead

Author
krafish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/23 11:15:00 (permalink)

Brule River Method to catch steelhead

Just got this month's issue of Fur, Fish and Game, there is a store on fishing for spooky steelhead. In the story they talk about the Brule River method, which is a slip knot at the eye of the hook and then slipping on a one inch piece of colored yarn. Does anyone use this method in the Erie area? Should the yarn be wrapped around the hook or simply sinched at the eye (as suggested by the article)? Sounds like this would be a simple method of making a changeable (by different colors of yarn) sucker spawn fly. Anxious to give it a try.

4 Replies Related Threads

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Brule River Method to catch steelhead 2008/12/23 11:22:06 (permalink)
    I use thick glo bug or mcfly foam yarn all the time.  I wrap on the hook.  Never really noticed if it does well on spooky fish.  Yarn is something I only go to in quick water where any other egg or skein presentation would work. Usually when I don't feel like getting my hands wet from using skein.  I have also tied jigs with long starnds of yarn, it has a nice breathable way about it. 
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Brule River Method to catch steelhead 2008/12/24 17:36:28 (permalink)
    Snell your line on the hook,pull the snell to the rear,slide in a piece of glo bug yarn, pull the snell tight,clip the yarn,instant egg pattern,and very easy to change colors.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Brule River Method to catch steelhead 2008/12/24 17:43:47 (permalink)
    To change colors with a conventional egg fly, you clip off the old and tie on a new one.  Takes 30 seconds.  So, how is changing colors with this method any easier?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Brule River Method to catch steelhead 2008/12/25 02:16:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

To change colors with a conventional egg fly, you clip off the old and tie on a new one.  Takes 30 seconds.  So, how is changing colors with this method any easier?

Umm...because you'd loosen the slip knot, put in a new piece of thread, and tighten it down.  No new knots.  Takes 5 seconds.  Sounds easier to me, especially in cold weather when knot tying can become a pain.
    Jump to: