Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6354
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/18 19:53:23 (permalink)

Bigger Limits

Gentlemen,
     I don't know how many of you travel to fishing hotspots but here is a tip you might find interesting.   Due to work on the Wolf Creek Dam that holds back Lake Cumberland down here in KY, the lake has been drawn down dramatically.  This has resulted in less cold water being let through the dam and oxygenated (somedays very little).  As the summer progresses the Ky fisheries biologists are predicting a massive die-off of trout in the Cumberland River, below Burkesville, in South central KY.  The limit on fish has been almost doubled and the "slot" for releasing fish has been eliminated.  The fisheries people figure that fish on the table are better than dead fish floating downstream from lack of oxygen
      The Cumberland has a reputation as being one of the best trout fisheries in the U.S. for producing large trout in numbers; with many fishermen being able to catch numerous 22" (+) browns.  (The slot was 15-21 inches.) The slot is no more on this stretch of river.
      This is just a "heads up" to those fishermen who want to catch large browns.  My advice is to go online and look for a guide, unless you already know the river.  The river is best fished from a small boat with a shallow draft.  Medium wt fly rods and wooly buggers seem to be the best combos; however spinners and even live bait work well.  If you decide to go let me pass on a "Good Luck".

Illegitimis Non carborundum

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: