PA License

Author
Zeke
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/19 11:11:15 (permalink)

PA License

What are the license requirements and costs for a non resident to fish PA steelhead?
Can they be purchased on line?

Thank you

24 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:14:06 (permalink)
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:21:10 (permalink)
    FYI
    PA runs a JAN 1- DEC 31 lic schedule... not  1 yr from date of purchace

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:24:10 (permalink)
    Yep... time to buy your 09 lic
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:45:46 (permalink)
    The best thing the fish commision ever did was to let you purchase your license over the internet. Make as many copies as you want, laminate them and put them in tackle boxes, vests, and keep a couple in case you lose one.
    Plus if you can get a hold of your wife's credit card she can pay for it........
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:47:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

The best thing the fish commision ever did was to let you purchase your license over the internet. Make as many copies as you want, laminate them and put them in tackle boxes, vests, ...

give them to your friends as christmas gifts
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 11:53:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Zeke

What are the license requirements and costs for a non resident to fish PA steelhead?
    Can they be purchased on line?

Thank you

JUST GOT MINE ON LINE, COST $67.50
    PA  COST TO FISH N.Y.   $40.00             GLEN
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 12:14:17 (permalink)
    Agree with D-MAC.  I am now never without my license.  Keep in all the cars just in case someone else is fishing and asks me to join along!!! I would hate to miss a chance to fish, just because I didn't have my license with me.
    euphoboy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 12:21:37 (permalink)
    Wouldn't doubt that's been done a few times too

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 12:43:43 (permalink)
    the license time frame is December 01 of this year to December 31 the following year

13 months on one license

You can still fish if you FORGET your license...........if you are stopped by the fishcop and he asks to see your license........tell him you forgot it............he will do what is called a Notice of Violation--which is a piece of paper that states you do have a license and that it is just not on you..........you then have 7 days to mail your original license into the officer.............

I had guys who told me tales of driving across the state and forgetting their license.......this was to fish bass tournaments...........and they said they didn't fish cause they didn't have their license.........I told him the above..........never ever not fish...........as long as you have a license........then don't sweat it.........just don't make a habit of it...........if you continue to not have your license, you will most likely get a ticket for license not being on person........

I fish creeks and lakes............one requires my tackle bag and one the vest.........sometimes I forget to switch back and forth and get onthewater and realize the license is not with me..........oh well........it happens to everyone..................

www.2bonthewater.com
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 12:46:37 (permalink)
    "You can still fish if you FORGET your license...........if you are stopped by the fishcop and he asks to see your license........tell him you forgot it............he will do what is called a Notice of Violation--which is a piece of paper that states you do have a license and that it is just not on you..........you then have 7 days to mail your original license into the officer............. "

Don't forget that this is at the WCO's own discretion and he COULD just right you a ticket if he wanted to!
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 13:12:03 (permalink)
    I agree with mikeg, if you fish Pymatuning and did not have your license, I am sure you would get a summons. I was issued a warning once for leaving my boat registration in my vehicle since it was raining when I started.  It took a lot of begging not to get a fine, but since I was out of the boat and getting my vehicle when I was stopped and could produce the registration, the officer only wrote a warning notice.  I had a friend the same day get fined because he did not have a whistle with him.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 13:13:24 (permalink)
    You would still be liable for a citation for failure to display.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 13:19:22 (permalink)
    I think you would be surprised how many of your friends do not realize I can purchase the license on-line.  Check out the number of people on the streams with a yellow license and you will get an idea.  I know most of my friends do not buy on line.

Zeke
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 14:24:07 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the help.
    Have a great Christmas and New Year

John
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 14:28:28 (permalink)
    Exactly !!!!

The best thing the fish commision ever did was to let you purchase your license over the internet. Make as many copies as you want, laminate them and put them in tackle boxes, vests, and keep a couple in case you lose one.
    Plus if you can get a hold of your wife's credit card she can pay for it........
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 15:16:35 (permalink)
    Not at the discretion of the officer--unless the fisherman has done this time and time again...........

...........policy is to write the NOV--notice of violation--------

The officer would be in a pinch with BLE............if he just went about citing everybody who said they had a license but license is not on them.....

If the fisherman is lying.........then the PFBC gets to write two tickets:  one for fishing without a license---two  false and fraudulent statements on a PFBC notice of violation report............

eh, but what do I know???

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 15:53:34 (permalink)
    You would have to be very ignorant toward the officer to get cited for not displaying your license............does it happen yes, but not all that often

Here it goes: 

Issued ticket for fishing without a license:

1--  actually have no license.......either pay ticket or wait for the officer to pick you up on a warrant for your arrest

2--have license and take hearing--at this point, if you have a license--the officer will amend the citation--you will be cited for license not on person

issued NOV:
    1--  send your license in within 7 days..........no harm no foul unless this is repeatedly done--then you might be cited for license not on person

2--  fail to mail your license to wco within 7 days..........he or she writes tickets for fishing without a license and false and fraudulent statements
    (most officers give more than 7 days........)

rarely will someone get a ticket for failure to display.........law is written on or about the person

www.2bonthewater.com
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 16:21:42 (permalink)
    I agree with you that most WCO's would not write a violation.  Prior to retiring, I had the privilege to work with members of the PSP and the Clarion County Sheriffs Office on a weekly bases.  Everyone I worked with were very professional tremendous individuals.  However, in Clarion County our DA quit presecuting offenders that were written by our Game Commission due to questionable allegations. It all goes back to the individuals (both WCO and person involved). The DA has recently announced he will resume prosecution of individuals. 

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 19:06:28 (permalink)

WHEN I PRINTED MINE OUT TODAY IT SAID  IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW TO MAKE A COPY . WHATS UP WITH THAT? A COLOR COPY LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL I'VE BEEN TOLD. I WOULDN'T BREAK THE LAW OR MAKE 3 COPIES. IT SAID SAVE YOUR LISCENCE NUMBER SO YOU COULD PAY FOR A REPLACEMENT IF YOU LOST THE ORIGINAL.     GLEN
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 19:17:17 (permalink)
    They just want to generate more $$$ if you had to replace them.

But in all reality they'll never know if you save a copy of it on your computer. Or print a few out. I've never lost a license but I keep a .pdf of it on my computer in case I do some day.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: PA License 2008/12/19 22:21:39 (permalink)
    My solution for this was to get old and buy the lifetime license,now I hope I live long enough to get my moneys worth!LOL
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: PA License 2008/12/20 06:39:59 (permalink)
    I agree that the online offering is one of the best things that the PFBC has ever done!  Buy it save it, scan a good copy save it all over the computer.  Get some white card stock and print up a couple.  I spoke to a law enforcemnt officer who prided himself on how tough he was.  I ask him about the legality of printing mutiple licenses.  He told me that as long as I legally paid for it and had it displayed, and that it was MINE, meaning it had my name and was legit, he did not care if I printed them until I ran out of ink!

If you print on heavy stock, take it to Staples and ask for the heavy lamination you will be set.  Now take it home buy some of the biggest saftey pins you can score.  Punch 2 holes in the heavy lamination and you are set.  If you do this several times, you can have a license in the car, boat, truck, tacklebox, duffle bag you take fishing on the tribs or lake etc.  This has been the single best thing that happened to the PA license since I can remember.

On the contrary, I will not buy my HUNTING license on line any time soon, at least until they work out the bugs.  Obviously, due to tags, you cannot print anything but a receipt.  The backtag does not come for days, the tag you get with an internet purchase is different that what you get at the store.  I lost my backtag, likely because it was small enough to fit in a fishing license holder among other reasons.

Lastly, no matter what license type you buy, secure the frigging thing to your clothing in a proper manner.  Last time I was fishing the tribs, Halloween time, I found no less than 3 fishing licenses littering the streambank and floating down the tribs.  I did return the one, via mail.  The other 2 were too pounded to be recognized.  Wait maybe I would be better off  wearing somebody elses license.  That way when I get stopped by an enforcemet officer they can punch holes (if that is indeed what they still do for violations) in somebody elses name!  I am kidding of course

Brent
    Jump to: