boat trailer parts and what not help

Author
plnoldrick
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 391
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/17 19:45:53 (permalink)

boat trailer parts and what not help

well im not quite sure this should go here but i cant really determine where it should be. anyhow...

my uncle is gonna let me use his boat pretty much whenever i want. the **** things been laying in a bamboo patch for like 10 years now unused. its nothing special, just a 12' aluminum v hull, good enough for the electric motor lakes. anyways the trailer has seen better days, way better days. im gonna have to rewire the lights, it needs new wheels and tires and im gonna guess the bearings are rusted and roasted and in need of replacement. i have absolutly no clue where to get any of this stuff around here. if anyone knows anyplace i can get boat trailer parts for a little crap trailer like this could ya gimme a shout out.

oh btw anyplace really within 50 miles of pgh, i live fairly close to town so any direction

thanks in advance
rick
post edited by plnoldrick - 2007/06/17 19:48:20

7 Replies Related Threads

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/17 20:09:29 (permalink)
    you should be in business for around a $150 if you buy 3 wheels and tires(1 spare). imo buy the 12"x4 wagon wheels with tires. i ASSUME the trailer is a 4 bolt pattern and i would not buy the 8" wheel and tire(too small) unless you do not have clearance for the 12." years ago i replaced the wheels with the tires for a utility trailer and found them to be the cheapest at Pep Boys for around $40/apiece. theyre rated somewhere around 800 pounds each so weight will not be an issue.

the wiring and lights MAY NOT be an issue but if they are, i'd start over. 12 ft. trailer will be easy to rewire. remove the old wire and lights and buy the 4 wire trailer wire kit and rerun the wires. get yourself a couple lights and youre in business. you may be able to buy a kit with wires and lights included. people ive talked to like the new LED lights. never used them so cant verify if theyre any good or not.

forgot about the bearings. you can get the Bearing Buddies for around $20. the bearing buddies keep water out and you can grease the bearings without removing the bearing cap. dont overgrease them with the gun or you will blow the seal out of the back of the hub. i'd take one of the old bearings with you. you will have a choice of 2 different size bearings. good luck.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/06/17 20:18:07
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/17 21:39:45 (permalink)
    K-mart did carry what you need at one time. Not sure any more if they do or not. Walmart carries trailer tires, they should also have wiring kit for the lights. Not sure if they have the bearings. Here is the site for tires; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=541326
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/17 22:21:39 (permalink)
    wow now thas what i call some info, thanks guys i really appreciate it. i didnt realize wal mart and k mart even carried that kinda stuff. i usually try to avoid those stores like the plague, especially since north versailles is my hometown wal mart and it generaly gets the cream of the local crop!

im gonna have to do a more detailed inspection of this mess tomorrow. i figured the wheels and tires would be the hardest to get. the ones that were on there were 4.00 x 8. i couldnt even find that size on the net anywhere. i am gonna check and see if i can fit bigger wheels. i really dont like to even think of how fast wheels that small are spinning at 55mph. all i know is on my track car i went from a 16" wheel to a 15" wheel and picked up a consistant second on my lap times so a simple 1" difference obviously makes a big difference.

im not even gonna bother inspecting the bearings other then to find out what size i need. the wheels were sunk past the hubs in mud for almost 10 years. i dont trust them and im not about to be the next retard with a wood chipper time bomb dragging behind me.

trailer wiring should be easy for me since im an electrician. i wouldnt have even had to deal with it if the **** squirrels didnt eat all the exposed wiring.

it should be a little undertaking but thanks to you guys i might have this craft water ready by next weekend. seem like the biggest pain now is getting my uncle to reregister the thing.

thanks again

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/17 23:11:56 (permalink)
    Tractor Supply
    CARLISLE HIGHWAY-SPEED TRAILER TIRES$23.76

http://www.mytscstore.com/customer_service.asp?action=editStore

WASHINGTON  #1150

406 WASHINGTON ROAD - WASHINGTON, PA  15301
    (724) 223-4934

MOUNT PLEASANT  #690
    820 CROSSROADS PLZ - MOUNT PLEASANT, PA  15666-2116
    (724) 547-5610

BUTLER  #591
    148 ALAMEDA PLAZA - BUTLER, PA  16001-2528
    (724) 287-0050
    REPLACEMENT AXLE HUB/BEARING KITS
    http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1021&sonID=743&page=4&productID=28558

Or Cabelas
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/06/18 02:47:42
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/18 10:16:58 (permalink)
    Harbor Freight tools located in one of the plazas on Rte. 51 South of Century III mall has a lot of trailer supplies too and the prices aren't too bad.  They have LED wiring kits, single lights, couplers, etc.  I am not sure about bearings and tires but you can call and find out, I guess. 
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/18 21:17:25 (permalink)
    nice, thanks for the replies once again.
    WOODSnH2OGUY
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: boat trailer parts and what not help 2007/06/19 20:50:54 (permalink)
    plnoldrick:

Glad to hear you're gonna be cruisin the waterways soon.  I know what you mean by Versailles Walmart...My girlfriend lives in the area and I cannot stand going into that store..They are usually out of what I need.

Anyway Good luck!

Mike
    Jump to: