I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt.

Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/15 01:34:04 (permalink)

I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt.

Thanks to the generosity of indsguiz, at the recommendation of still un-named board members (I'd really like to know), I not only have a replacement for a broken St. Croix 4wt, I have a piece of history.  I was sent a Montague Rapidan 7.5'  3/2 (3wt + 4wt tips) bamboo rod, completely restored to fishing quality.  A brief history of the rod reads that it was Jack's Great Uncle's rod that was broken with the help of a door on a '36 Packard in 1939.  It was set aside to be repaired, only to have that not happen due to WWII.  The rod sat in the corner of the basement in that family's home until recently being discovered by Jack while helping his cousin.  After many, many, many, many hours of work to restore the beauty, strength, flexibility, and dignity to the sections of this broken, forgotten tool, it was given to this very humble and extremely grateful fisherman. 

It's the perfect rod for dry fly fishing for mountain brookies, and it will be used for just that.  At Jack's request, photos were snapped of the opening of the package, which took place, where else but at a U.S. Post Office.  It took a day or so, but the rod was fit with an appropriately weighted and lined reel.  I had our friend Skip stop by to snap some photos, and give it a cast as well.  It is by far the smoothest casting fly rod I've every tried.  Casting it was near effortless.  My next step is to clean and attach an antique skeleton reel (thank you, Skip).  When the time comes, the rod will be passed down to my son, along with as complete a history as I have (there are details I'm sparing you).

These pictures DON"T do the rod justice.

Nice flex comming off the back-cast.

I'm so honored to have been given this gift.  I guess it pays to look after your karma.  It all apparently started with the Oil Creek Outing.  Someone or somepeople is/are looking out for me.  Thank you.  What I do know is that you never know when fortune will shine on you.  Really.  There will be another, and you probably won't see it comming.

I can't wait to walk the banks of a secluded mountain stream running through the heart of Penn's Woods, stalking the elusive wild brook trout living in the pools of that stream.  I'll cast my caddis fly to the riffles, and then this beautiful rod will fight again.  It will live again.  Until then, it will sleep.  Thank you, Jack.  Thank you.

13 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/15 02:49:21 (permalink)
    T.T.
        Take a look at the load on that tip when you were casting in your back yard.  That is one soft action. Won't cast far but will cast very accurately.  Just don't rush your casting motion.   Bamboo sets slow and reacts much slower than "glass" or graphite.  Just train yourself to go slooowww.   P.S.   Love the Mud Hens shirt.  You any relation to a guy named Klinger?
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/06/15 02:51:06

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/15 03:14:55 (permalink)
    No, but he was one of my Dad's all-time favorite TV characters.  That shirt is over 15 years old.  Not quite as old as the bamboo, but it too has a good story.  It was the last Christmas gift I received from my Dad before he passed away.  I break it out every now and then.  We went to an Erie Seawolves game that night.  They are the AA team for the Tigers, who have the Mud Hens as their AAA squad.  So, it worked.  That sure was a special day.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/15 06:48:12 (permalink)
    T.T.

Congrat's on acquiring that wonderful piece of history made even more special by the care Jack took to restore it.  I know you will cherish it.  Just don't take it down to Walnut or 20 mile and see if you can land a steelie on it.  Trust me, bamboo ain't graphite....  If you are down this way, let me know.  We can take the rod out in search of the not so elusive pan fish in Fake Lake....  Have fun.

pax vobiscum +
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/15 10:18:11 (permalink)
    nice, congrats.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/16 02:56:33 (permalink)
    Hey T.T. do you want some vintage line?  Guaranteed to be at least 50 years old.   And that's the only guarantee I'll make for the stuff.  Probably be like trying to cast a rope, and have the tensile strength of tissue paper.  But it is gennie.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/16 10:46:39 (permalink)
    Jack

Thanks for what you did for Tim  I must say when I went over the other day and watched him Lawn cast it was like a kid in a candy store.  SWEEEET is the word I heard a lot .....

By the way Happy belated birthday

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/17 07:21:39 (permalink)
    Jack, you are the bamboo king! Happy b. b-d.! Good for you TT. Now go get them there trouts.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/17 09:58:07 (permalink)
    Indsguiz,
     You're a good man, Jack. What nice gesture.
    I looked up that decal on the rod and Montague started using that one in the very late 1930's. That rod was practically new when it broke.
    You do some awesome work for an old fart.   Happy B.D.

TT,
      Nice looking cast. Looks like ya got the hang of it real quick.
    Your gratitude shines.
    That's one nice looking piece of history you have in your hands.
    There are a lot of Monty's floating around and the Rapidan was a good seller. But, the length of that particular rod makes your stick extremely rare.
    Very few Monty rods under 8 foot were ever made and even fewer are still in existence today. You got one gem of a trout rod.
     You just gotta work on getting some dirt, sweat and a few fish scales embedded into that cork grip.

Go, Mud Hens.

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/18 12:28:55 (permalink)
    Dano,
         Shhhhh!  You're going to scare the poor guy!  Let him use the rod as it was intended to be used.  And if not let him admire it.  I imagine his hands are cramped from polishing the thing. Heck, if I can ever travel again maybe we should have a Bamboo Only Day somewhere (Oil City).  That would be totally retro.  Period apparel though, no modern waders or vests, just fishing coats, oiled fishing boots and coton fishing pants.  Ok, that is WAY retro; like 1890's.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/18 16:25:38 (permalink)
    I'd rather go 1980's.  For me, that would be junk tennis shoes, cut-off shorts, and the Plano tackle box sitting on shore.(no vest at that point)  Cold water didn't bother us too much, but the leaches sure did.

Jack, I'm thinking of going with the synthetic silk line Brian sells at our host's store.  It's around $50, so it's going to be a few weeks before it's rigged.  I'm going to try to take Bughawk up on his Edinboro idea.  I haven't pan-fished in years, and it sounds like a blast with the bamboo.  I'll just have to rig it with 2lb tippet incase a hog of a bass decides to take the bait.  I'd rather lose a fly than a tip.

On a side note, I've had the chance to hit the Bay a couple times with the big flyrod and my frog poppers.  I've done ok, landing 1 largemouth and missing another 5 or 6, and I also missed a nice pike yesterday morning.  What's the secret to landing those bad-boys on the fly?  I know, this should be in it's own thread, but since we're here...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/18 16:53:53 (permalink)
    T.T.
         For bass and especially pike:  Check with your local sporting goods store and see if they have any 50# mono connectors usually used between a lure and a line for big game fish.  If not, see if they have any 3" fine steel leaders.  Put one of either between your line, 8 wt at least, and your fly (large streamer) or popper. and cast till your arm gets tired.  I usually throw away my tippett and leader; and just use a 8' piece of 10wt mono for my leader.  The fly and the connector will provide enough weight for casting.  Also, the cast will have to be presented differently.  To get any distance it almost turns into a spey cast.  Hard to describe but it is a circular motion, with the fly never suddenly changing directions.  Sort of like casting in slow motion.  When you do get a good hook-up try to keep the fish moving toward you.  Not only the teeth but also the gill plates will cut your line.  Inspect after every hook-up.  Good luck, and above all else, have fun.
           The synthetic line is VERY period but it doesn't cast like modern stuff. (In my Opinion)  If I were you I'd just get some inexpensive modern line.  They did have various plastic (bakelite) impreganted lines, and even some real rubberized lines back in the 30's so you wouldn't be too far off.  The stuff you're talking about is 1910 vintage.  I would probably go with something like Scientific Anglers  WF-DT 4 wt line.  That'll get you fishing.  Wait till you've learned the rod before you buy some expensive stuff.  Talk to Worm-waster, he can set you straight. By now you have probably learned that bamboo presents the line in a smoother, longer duration push than graphite or glass.  Just go slow and enjoy.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/18 22:03:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Dano,
        Shhhhh!  You're going to scare the poor guy!  Let him use the rod as it was intended to be used.  And if not let him admire it.  I imagine his hands are cramped from polishing the thing. Heck, if I can ever travel again maybe we should have a Bamboo Only Day somewhere (Oil City).  That would be totally retro.  Period apparel though, no modern waders or vests, just fishing coats, oiled fishing boots and coton fishing pants.  Ok, that is WAY retro; like 1890's.

Ok Jack. I have not used mine yet . Will red and black flannell be ok? 
    Are you ready Chris, TT , Jack, Bug. Anyone else?

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: I didn't have to wait long to replace my broken 4wt. 2007/06/18 22:29:41 (permalink)
    The bamboo is fine, but I am going to where my Simms waders.  Retro is OK, but comfort is more important to me...

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: