Berkley Gulp! catfish bait

Author
pu4947
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/11 21:42:45 (permalink)

Berkley Gulp! catfish bait

Has anyone ever used these things? I picked up a pack to try out at Somerset Lake this weekend.

5 Replies Related Threads

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Berkley Gulp! catfish bait 2007/06/11 22:43:34 (permalink)
    Complete junk! Don't buy that crap. I bought some of that Gulp chicken liver stuff recently and have not had one single hit while using it. The stuff is just like rubber and doesnt seem to have much scent at all. The only plus side is that since its like rubber it stays on you hook. On the package it says, "outfishes all other live bait" ! When I saw that I should have know that the stuff was junk.

I was out at Twin Lakes park the other night doing a little night fishing. Well atfter a little while I see this big snapping turtle swimming near my rods so I figure I'll give him something to eat so he stays away from my bait. So I throw the turtle a few pieces of hot dog and it quickly gobbles the pieces up and begins looking for more, so I throw him a piece of that Gulp chicken liver catfish bait to see if he would eat it. The turtle graps the gulp bait in his mouth and immediately spits it back out, then grabs it again but spits it out for a second time! If that stuff ain't fit for a snapping turtle to eat then I doubt that a fish would eat it.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: Berkley Gulp! catfish bait 2007/06/12 19:25:19 (permalink)
    I've never tried the catfish gulp but i am sure not impressed with the crawlers for walleyes at lake somerset. I must admit though my friends did well one afternoon on lake erie using the gulp 3 inch grubs.
    fish hard 79
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Berkley Gulp! catfish bait 2007/06/13 18:38:40 (permalink)
    Good Call, Ive used the gulp chicken livers also.  Not very good at all.  Have caught a few, when fishing a private lake in Texas, but of course it was loaded with fish.  On the other hand, the catfish paste that comes in a plastic jar (kinda like the ones peanut butter is in). Can't remember the exact name but it was flouresant orange (might have been hog wild).  Yep that's it just looked it up Hog Wild Orange Dip Bait.  Smear that stuff on those catfish sponges and your in business no joke.  Stuff is really messy and of course stanks.  I'd use latex gloves when applying it, sounds **** but unless you like the smell of poo use them. I'm a believer.   
    post edited by fish hard 79 - 2007/06/13 18:46:37
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Berkley Gulp! catfish bait 2007/06/14 13:55:36 (permalink)
    Never used the catfish stuff, but I use the 3" minnows, 6" nightcrawlers and 3" fry with very much success.  I dropshot them around vertical structure in the rivers.  I catch bass, walleye, sauger, hybrids and cats.  Some days I can't keep the cats off the minnows.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: Berkley Gulp! catfish bait 2007/06/17 16:45:15 (permalink)
    i have caught carp and catfish on powerbait corn carp bait but not lately ive found other baits that seem to produce much more consistantly. but a friend of mine caught a 26" cat on a mixture of corn and strawberry powerbait carp bait. ive also tried their blood and liver cat baits with no luck
    Jump to: