Bamboo rod

Author
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/16 18:20:32 (permalink)

Bamboo rod

Bought a bamboo fly rod at a garage sale and can't find any information on it wondering if anybody has heard of this name of fly rod. The only writing on the rod which came in a aluminum rod case with an extra tip piece was
Cleveland Special and underneath that it says #X3R. It's length is 7ft 6in.

5 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Bamboo rod 2008/11/16 18:45:33 (permalink)
    best bet is indsquiz.  he knows as much as anyone about cane rods and their values.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Bamboo rod 2008/11/16 19:51:13 (permalink)
    D-MAC,
        PM  me and I'll ask some questions, and give some answers.   Indsguiz

You can try Clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com but it might take quite a while to get a response.  And I'd beware of any quick offers to buy.  When evaluating a rod there are just a few factors to consider.  1:  Condition.  ID the rod?  Mint  (rarely or never fished)  Fishable (just what it means)  Needs some work (re-wrapping)  Needs repair  2:  Length the shorter the rod the more valuable 6'6" is the gold standard as they get longer the value drops (generally)  3:  The maker; a name brand rod by a famous maker will bring in a lot more money than a production rod from H&I or Monteague and a shop rod (one that was named by a local sporting goods store) is really cheap.  Accessories:  Rod case;  #1 leather, #2 good wood, # 3 Aluminum tube  (and even these vary)  #4 sock  #5 shaping form.  #6 cheap balsa box  (jap crap).
         So you have said that your rod is a 7' 6" rod which puts it right on the edge of the mid length.  It does have two tips but are all the pieces the same length (exactly within 1/4 inch).  Does it need repair?  What types of repair?  Nickle-silver or brass, or steel ferrules.  2 piece or three piece?
    It does have a tube.  Does it have a sock?  Does it have a form block?  and finally how old is it. (can be determined by the reel seat and the size/type of the guides and stripping guide.)
          Just off the top of my head I'd say you have a rod built for a 3 wt line.  the next part is more difficult since I have no listing for a Cleveland Special in my books so that puts it as either a "shop rod" sold by a sporting goods store in the 30's>50's,  OR a special rod built by a custom builder.  The shop rod is cheap the custom is worth $$$. 
         So look at the bottom of the reel seat or the end cap for additional information.  Look at the sock for a label.  What color are the wraps.
        I have information on a E. Cleveland who built custom rods in Mass. back in the 40's and some of his stuff is fairly rare.  The X may actually be a # sign indicating line weight. 
        So without pictures or a bit of discussion that is about as far as I can take you.
        Remember a really good bamboo rod can go into $400 to 1000 (+)  but a shop rod rarely goes over $100, unless it is pristine.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/11/16 20:57:35

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Bamboo rod 2008/11/24 10:38:24 (permalink)
    is it safe to use bamboo in cold temps??

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Bamboo rod 2008/11/24 17:48:48 (permalink)
    Yes,  BUT,  Just knew there was going to be a BUT in there didn't you.  As with any wood fiber bamboo will get stiffer in cold weather and lose some of it's flexability.  It will remain amazingly flexible but it will still stiffen.  As i always tell folks just be careful.  Go lighter than you would in warmer weather so you don't overstress the rod.
        Now my question?  Why would you want to?  There are many materials that work much better in the cold (like graphite) that aren't nearly as valuable as a good bamboo rod.  But that being said I do have some bamboo ice fishing rods in my collection, from Wisconsin so you know some can really tke the cold.  Also remember that for about 200 years bamboo waas all there was if you wanted to fish.  OK<OK before someone calls me out there was alder, lancewood, and some yew.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Bamboo rod 2008/11/24 19:14:40 (permalink)
    thanks for the answer.  well i've got a 4 weight 6.5 foot bamboo rod, and i'd hate to let it sit until its time to fish with dries next spring...  i have a real nice 4 weight that  i use most of the time

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Jump to: