Steelhead Rod Help

Author
rjc003
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/13 23:45:50 (permalink)

Steelhead Rod Help

I'm headed up the tribs in about a month for my first steelhead trip. I've been doing some research but need some help on selecting a rod. I have a few questions I know many people use noodle rods, but I've never used one and worried about the casting.  Is casting with a noodle rod difficult? Is setting the hook different than a typical spinning rod? Also what length would be a good choice? Finally do any of you use anything other than noodle and fly rods, and if so, what length and action/power? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

pasurfer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 07:02:12 (permalink)
    I'll help you out a bit.  This topic come every now and them and goes into what type of fishing is better. 
    I have used a 6"6' med heavy bass rod, a 9" St Croix Noodle, 5wt Cortland, 8wt Sage.  I have seen fish caught on zebco snoopy rods before.  I have not used a centerpin yet.  I am a fly guy, but that is just because I like to cover a lot of water.  A noodle works just fine.  I have a 9" St Croix Med/Fast with an open face spinning real, 8lb floro on it.  A lot of your casts will be lift and swings.  Very seldom will you pull that to the side and whip it up steam.  Learn how to read and fish the stream first, them decide what gear to buy.  If you have a med action rod take it and go with some-one that knows what they are doing and you will have a blast.  I took a buddy last year for the first time and in three hours this you would think that this guy fished all the time.  He used my spinning rod with threaded salted minnows.  I do not know what was bigger, the load in his drawers or the smile on his face.  That was with a couple of 5-6 lb jacks.

1) Fly rod 5wt or greater, 8wt is nice.  Make sure to have backing on your reel
    2) Noodle rod with spinning real.  HAVE NOT TRIED CENTERPIN yet
    3) Spinning rod. 

Noodle rod allows for more dirversity in baits. Minnows, River Play-Doo, Red Worms, Eggs, Egg Sacs, Flies, what ever.

Spinning allows for most of the same but no flies.  You can throw spoons and spinners though and that works well sometimes.

Fly Rod your need patience and bit of money to buy a lot of variations of flies.  (yes I know you can tie your own and I do)

Just go and see what works for you.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 07:34:52 (permalink)
    The above post by pa surfer is all good info. Personally, I don't care for noodle rods. They can be too much rod in tight conditions. I have been fishing the tribs my whole life and I have found a 7ft med-light action spinning rod is what works best for me. It's all a matter of personal preference though. I have seen many different set ups in Erie. Everything from surf rods to Dora the explorer poles. Find what you are comfortable with. They will all pull in fish. Good luck!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Steel head Rod Help 2008/11/14 08:11:48 (permalink)
    if you can or you know someone ask to use there noodle rod i have one its 11 6" and pitch spoons or scane to jigs its what i fell up for i also use it to troll the river ,like a outrigger ill have a 9 or 10 fish day doing just that ,ill also use a 6 6" spinning rod spoons /roosters/ sac/twisters white in color is always good some times ill even cast my bait caster with a rattle trap and hvy spoons i always have 4 rods set up for fishing methods for steelie and brown and will also go for kings on the same set up
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 08:29:03 (permalink)
    what the others said.....

and would add..

the greatest advantage of a long noodle rod is two fold

1.) it aids in keeping  line off the water in contrary currents  for a better drift with float
    2.) it aids in landing big fish on light line/small hooks

With all the guides the line has to go through on a long noodle, it does add drag when casting, so no they won't cast the same weight/set up as far as  a shorter rod.
    But that's generally not an issue on Pa tribs, cause they just aren't that wide

a mention on hook sets regardless of rods.
    I was lg mouth bass fanatic before I first chased steel.
    I HAMMERED my hook sets on bass, hook sets on steel are a much more subtle affair because generally you're using lighter line and smaller hooks.
    The hook sets I used on bass would straighten out the hooks i use for steel 

..L.T.A.

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 08:35:19 (permalink)
    the hook sets a real tough one for some peeps i see a lot of lost fish ,ive seen the snap ring just streighten out more fun than bass for me
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 20:54:03 (permalink)
    rjc003
     First off welcome and good luck in your first trip up.
     there is a matter of preference on what to buy. It all matters on your preference or style of fishing for steelies.
     I use a noodle rod 10'6" with 6lb. floro and small hooks for low clear conditions. I find that casting smaller rigs with long pole offers you a softer landing with light gear and is less likely to spook fish. No need to set hook hard the long flexible pole does it for you , you just gotta be ready to lift firmly. For fast higher water a fly rod has its advantages over noodling. You can cover water faster and more efficiently. Although you can be more limited in what you are flying to the fish. This is all my opinion and i hope it helps you. Ive been fishing for steelies for many years and ive seen all kinds of tackle used to catch em. Listen to everyones thoughts on what to get and you will make the right decision.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 22:29:33 (permalink)

Rjc, your goin to love it. I did at least. We made only two trips so far, I used an 8wt fly rod it worked perfect. I dont think I would want any less than a 7wt up there. My dad used a 9' noodle rod and it worked great for him. My rod is 9' and I think that size is a good choice for Erie in a fly or noodle. Alot of people I've noticed using a heavier spinning set up and were doing fine. No matter what you pick you will have fun. Good luck.

rjc003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 23:12:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'm going to get a cheap 9-10 foot noodle for my first trip. If the noodle works for me I'll upgrade later. I'm also going to take a 6' UL and 6'6" medium power in case the noodle fails me. I can't wait, this is all new to me.

Tight lines!
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 23:13:42 (permalink)
    Lets just start off by saying, different conditions call for different techniques. If you are fishing high and muddy water you can use your 6lb. But when that water gets low and clear I go with 4 because, well its lighter and harder to see. A noodle rod offers different presentation because what genie said it keeps line off the water and makes the drift. Also when your setting the hook its just a pull of quick and efficient motions. Your not bass fishing, you dont have to rip their lips off. Casting a noodle rod is a little different but not much, don't cast as hard as you can like bass fishing. A "soft" cast will get you upstream because thats another plus of the rod. Most of the time you won't reel in just pull the line up and flip it right back out. GOOD LUCK
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 23:31:41 (permalink)
    The first time I went steelhead fishing was with a med-light 7ft Ugly Stick.
    That rod felt like a pool stick trying to cast minifoos.
    My casts were about 10 foot until I added split shot-a lot of split shot.
    I needed more distance into the creek because I did not have waders and short casts come back to shore quickly.
    The lure weights listed on the rods give you an idea of what you can use.

Later that day my buddy George gave me a noodle rod and I actually started catching fish.
    I liked his gift so much that I ended spending way too much money buying more noodle rods and reels.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Steelhead Rod Help 2008/11/14 23:49:56 (permalink)
    As a beginner, I would go with a 10' rod for steel and select a 6 to 8 lb. test line.  The rod really takes a lot of the stress off the weight of line you use.  No less than a 9 footer, but I recommend 10'.  Don't worry about casting it....after about two to three casts, you'll get the hang of it.

Jump to: