Size Of Fish This Year!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bluehalo
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/14 17:20:58 (permalink)
I see very little as well. I saw two last weekend and both were from a couple of fellers culling their stringer at walnut.
Where I live, all the best fishing for larger trout are on c-n-r regs waters whether its a stocked Clarks creek, or a fingerling stocked Little Juniata or a non stocked Letort. A classic example is Big Fishing creek trophy trout section. FULL of trout, but try and catch one over the 14" size limit. I am no expert on the tribs but have to wonder how it could be so different. Its not like they die off like salmon.
But I wonder about alot of things, and some surely die off from stress.
Is that red thing in your icon actually a steelhead eggsac?
MikeThePike
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/14 19:27:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: egg sac

ORIGINAL: MikeThePike

I'm simply saying due to the stress very few fish do return a second or third time to spawn. Even if handled perfectly, the fight and then stresses of spawning on many fish will kill them. I've seen plenty of dead steelies and browns on some of the smaller NY tribs that see almost no fishing pressure. They just can't take the stress associated with running very small creeks and then spawning.

The tribs are just too small to let the fish spawn without having additional stress which for the most part seems to kill many of them. I see 1000s of fish C&R'ed every year but do we see 1000s of much bigger fish returning the next year? Just because the fish was released don't nessesarily mean the fish will survive to run again the next year. Yes, there is the possibility they will, but theres also the possibility the fish will die a day later, week later, month later, ect from the stress.

The funny thing is while I do agree Pa fish are under insane pressure most of the time. I almost never see any dead fish on the stream bottom( early season warm water stress kills and slit open egg taken kills excluded).Unless these fish are waiting till they make it back to the lake to die off.

I never fished the Erie tribs in the spring so I can't say for sure. I know I've hit lots of small tribs on Lake Ontario in the spring and seen steelies that didn't make it due to all the strees from angling pressure/ spawning, ect. I'd assume Erie tribs of similar sizes, that get much more pressure, would be similar but like I said, I've never been there in the spring
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/14 19:40:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bluehalo

????
Shut up and Mike,
Your claim is that if everyone kept their catch (almost ALL keep the very largest) that it wouldn't have an impact on size of returning steelhead.
What if everyone RETURNED their catch instead? Are you not then saying this would also relate to no size difference in the average steelhead?
It seems common sense to me that 4 yr old fish will be larger than 3 yr old fish. The more larger fish you release, the more larger fish you get next year. No?

Keep in mind we're talking huge, abnormal numbers of fish here.  All I'm saying is that you can't possibly see the difference really.  Yes, obviously, if the fish are being released they have a chance to get bigger.  Thats a no brainer, but since there are so many fish in these streams, we can't possibly see much of a difference.  I also think that keeping some of the fish from waters with over abundance of fish, like these, would be doing the fishery more good than bad.  Overpopulation of any habitat is usually it's demise.  I believe if you cut the current population of the fish in half, you will see bigger and better quality fish....less competition for food and healthier returns.  You have to also keep in mind that those fish spend approximately 8 or 9 months in the streams per year which has to be a pretty stressful environment with all those fish and fishermen.  Far too many fish in these streams IMHO, but again they have to keep all those fishermen happy too!     
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/11/14 20:05:38

bluehalo
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/14 21:41:18 (permalink)
What  you say does seem to hold sand of some form in my eyes.
Me? When I keep the occassional to smoke it will be 24" and no larger. And I was always told 7 mos (late sept to late april) is the norm for the steel to be in the streams. Is that wrong in general? I truly dont know first hand.
There IS quite a few steel in some of those little creeks. Makes me wonder again. Although I look forward to it, I wonder what affect a brownie program would have on the steel if any? How far can the PFBC saturate Erie until it becomes an undesirable experience? And if it keeps bringing in money, they're not gonna stop. More and more folks at my store going up there every year. Ahhh, I'm drifting off topic.
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 07:30:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bluehalo

????
Shut up and Mike,
Your claim is that if everyone kept their catch (almost ALL keep the very largest) that it wouldn't have an impact on size of returning steelhead.
What if everyone RETURNED their catch instead? Are you not then saying this would also relate to no size difference in the average steelhead?
It seems common sense to me that 4 yr old fish will be larger than 3 yr old fish. The more larger fish you release, the more larger fish you get next year. No?

No is correct.

There are multiple factors involved but if everyone returned their catch and nobody kept any:

- You'd see alot more dead fish immediately after the ice jambs ground them up.

- You'd see alot more dead fish in the spring that die of infection.

- IF none of that happened, then in 2 years you'd see alot of smaller fish and a few bigger ones.
   While you'd have more fish in the lake because of C&R, the food source would remain the same.
   More fish + same food = smaller fish.

All Great Lakes are regulated by the Great Lakes Commission. It's a multi-state thing (IL,IN,MI,NY,OH,PA,WI).  No one state can simply decided to change any thing that will have an effect on the environment within the lakes. This includes stocking fish.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when PA decided to stock browns, they in turn had to reduce the number of steelhead being stock by the same amount. This is due to the available food source in the lake.

So while I understand what you are saying and how C&R works on inland waters, realize that those streams stocking numbers are calculated with the notion that there are already fish in the stream that have survived from previous stockings so that there is enough food for the fish in the stream.

With the Great Lakes, you are dealing with migratory fish of multiple species that all eat basically the same thing. If want bigger Steelhead, stock fewer OR Keep more Steelhead, Walleye, Perch, White bass, Sheephead, Smallmouth, etc. Fewer fish would mean more oxygen and more food for the ones that are there.

fishnnut
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 09:39:48 (permalink)
Larger and fiestier!!!Tight lines.
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 09:49:57 (permalink)
have to agree Tom, only saw 1 belly up so far this year.  Dave
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 19:58:39 (permalink)
"Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when PA decided to stock browns, they in turn had to reduce the number of steelhead being stock by the same amount."

THe CURRENT increase of Brown stocking, to App. 150,000 required no reduction in Steelhead stocking. Any ADDITIONAL Brown stocking would, but the 150K was the goal anyway.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 20:15:21 (permalink)
Spoon,as far as I can remember I think you are right,not sure of the specific number.
muttly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 20:35:58 (permalink)

been fishing every weekend and have yet to catch a 10 pounder--so far same as last year

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/15 21:23:42 (permalink)
I don't know that the fish this year are any larger than the past few years. I carry a tape measure and true 30" plus Steelhead are not as common as some think. Some fish are girthy and can carry more weight so weight can be argued. I also know years ago there were less Steelies in the creeks and they were much smaller in size. Maybe the strains of fish have changed through the years but they are nicer size the last 10 years. Ice will also kill a lot of Steelies in creeks the size of Elk. I too see very little stress kill of fish ,actually finding dead Steelhead in all Erie trib waters is rare.
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/16 19:45:27 (permalink)
Caught some real whompers this season so far! Two 30+, several 29/30.

Fishmonger
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/17 13:38:15 (permalink)
I've seen some big fish this year but was really impressed when I helped this guy land one this weekend... I felt bad I thought he was a newbie from the way he was fighting the fish, but then I realized who he was and wasn't tryin to Hassle the Hoff!! 

mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/17 13:44:51 (permalink)
That above pic is photoshoped. Just look at that white line on its back, and we all know Steelhead don't grow that big in PA!
post edited by mikeg - 2008/11/17 13:46:39
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/17 13:48:46 (permalink)
Look at the size of that boyz head !!!
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Size Of Fish This Year! 2008/11/17 22:30:51 (permalink)
No doubt it's the Hoffmiester!

I just can't believe somebody put that steelhead in his hands like that! There aren't even any steelhead in Hollywood!!! Morons!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: