Wire Dipsys

Author
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/04 22:25:12 (permalink)

Wire Dipsys

Any suggestions on wire, rods, reels, etc?

Probably don't need any more extra gear, but one more presentation couldn't hurt.  Thanks.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

3 Replies Related Threads

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Wire Dipsys 2007/06/05 09:21:07 (permalink)
    You dont need wire brian....

But if you do decide to make sure u get the special twizzle tip  for the rod so it doesnt kill your guides...30lb/10dia can get your rods down 70ft.  If you want to go deeper just slow down..

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Wire Dipsys 2007/06/05 12:30:47 (permalink)
    Carpet Bagger is right, braid runs a very similar dive curve to wire.  That being said, there is still something about wire that works!  The hum, the slice through the water, something, I don't know what it is, makes BIG fish eat.  If you want to do the wire thing right, be ready to cough up some duckets.  I use the Shimano Tekota 600LCs along with 8 1/2 foot roller guide Shimano Talora rods.  That pair will set you back about $300.  The wire you can get at FishUSA and runs about $38 / 1000', I like the Malin 7 strand in 30# test.  I don't use any backing, just straight wire, works great for salmon on Lake O too.  There are cheaper ways to do wire, but you HAVE to have a great clutch/drag system on the reel, there is NONE finer than the Tekota.  It is by FAR AND AWAY the smoothest reel I have ever had the pleasure of reeling in.  Many reels will turn a little before the drag engages when a fish pulls against the drag, the Tekota's drag engages instantaneously, it is amazing.  With the roller guides, you don't really have to worry about the twili tip.   
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Wire Dipsys 2007/06/05 15:29:04 (permalink)
    Brian if you want wire you need to talk to your long lost relative Gary (Relayer) he has spools of the stuff to the best of my knowledge!!

Wire might be effective off boards with plugs simply due to the weight of it, but other than that i dont think its too great for dipsy rigs ect.  you get one kink or hard twist and look out!  Lead core is a little more idiot proof...lol and alot easier on your rod guides...You need to get that twizzle tip to run wire so it doesnt ruin your top guides...I have old wire rods looks like some1 took a fine file to the top guide...long A bombers and wire line used to be the ticket...

By the way storm you dont need to tell worm waster about fishusa....i think he is fairly familiar with them...lol
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/06/05 15:31:55

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jump to: