Asking a favor for some veterans

Author
snaggy777
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/03 18:04:05 (permalink)

Asking a favor for some veterans

Recently, my mother was talking with an 80-year-old gentleman about fishing(ya, she still does:)).

The conversation turned from a lighthearted, funny mix of amusing tales of what was caught but not brought in, to something of a need.

Basically, from what he had said to her, some residents of the Butler Veteran's Hospital have been wanting to go on fishing trips to Moraine.  Unfortunately, from what she has been told by the gentleman, the vets do not have enough fishing equipment, poles, reels, etc., to make a trip out.

If you have any poles collecting dust, reels that are functional, terminal tackle, or know someone, or some baitshop/sporting goods shop that would like to donate, I think everyone who is over there would love the gift of both equipment, as well as being given back their hobby.

Thanks all for reading,
Jim

4 Replies Related Threads

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Asking a favor for some veterans 2007/06/03 19:35:48 (permalink)
    Whom would we contact at the Butler VA to donate equipment?
    snaggy777
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Asking a favor for some veterans 2007/06/03 20:20:05 (permalink)
    If you want the truth, I have no idea.  Like I said, my mom said this gent was saying this stuff about them not having equipment.  My grandfather had a stroke about 15 years ago(passed 12 years ago), and had gone on fishing trips with them..and now, it's like, 'nope'.

I didn't know who the guy was or who to contact or what was up with it, ya know?  It made me feel a bit disappointed that they wouldn't keep purchasing some recreational equipment for them through the years, and now they can't do something I'm sure some of them miss.

Anyhow, sorry for the lack of details.  I just wanted to ask this community, who actually does stand behind things and does take action where other BB and communities do not.  I could try to get a name and number tomorrow sometime if that is what is needed.  I'm sure even visiting the front desk and letting them know you would like to donate recreational items would work as well(I don't know the secretaries would like that one too much though:)).

Later, and I'll get some more information for donations tomorrow sometime,
    Jim
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Asking a favor for some veterans 2007/06/03 20:37:09 (permalink)
    I know a lot of veterans as well as fisherman.  (I belong to both groups.)

If there is a real need of veterans such as donated fishing gear, and you can give me a contact name, I can at least spread the word and see if we can help these guys out.  It's the least we could do for these guys and might mean more to them than flag waving twice a year.  (America does not begin to know how to honor their veterans, especially those from long ago wars and conflicts.)

I don't know a lot about the VA Hospital but from spending time there when my father was a patient I do know one can't just drop off a donation of gear and expect it to reach those who need it.  If you find a contact please let us know.

(maybe there have a social director or something like that)

Thanks
    bclev
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Asking a favor for some veterans 2007/06/04 10:42:14 (permalink)
    I do know that the WCO in Erie posted some pics of a veterans fishing day on another board.  I would think that the hospital would have a recreation director that would be in charge of these activities.  I think that this is a great idea.  Perhaps a local business (or two) would get involved and sponsor these activities?
    Jump to: