Author
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/03 06:19:56 (permalink)

Had to happen some time

Hi guys,

It was bound to happen at some point.  We fished the local chalkstream for a few hours on Saturday.  Last time there in June I landed 12 trout and 6 grayling in 3 hours on the evening.  Figured to have a decent day on saturday so Rachel and I booked in a day of grayling.

Storm front came through on Thursday evening and left behind high blue skies and wind.  We slept in a bit Saturday morning and got on the water about 10:30.  It was 15-20 mph winds constant with gusts here and there.  It was cold, and pretty bright.  We rigged up with nymphs and indicators and started walking.  You couldn't sight fish at all for all of the wind and chop on the water.  Any places where you had some trees sheltering the water you could see to the bottom with nary a fish to be found.  Rachel doesn't blind fish well, so we walked and walked until I could try and find some fish.  Never did.  We did see 4 grayling as they got spooked by a shadow, but otherwise it was tough going.  We stayed until 3, and after lunch (at 1:30) I fished a streamer while rachel left the rod back in the hut.  I had one touch from a brown as the fly dangled in the current, but that was it.  Only saw 5 grayling and 2 browns on the day.  Blank is the scorecard.

On a more positive note, I finished my 9'10" 5/6 wt this week before the trip.  I bought this blank and the 10' 4 wt blank about 10 months ago after a recommendation from another rodbuilder.  The 10' 4wt was everything I wanted in a light nymphing rod- moderate-fast action with very light power.  It throws a 4 wt line well for casting and a 5 wt line well for lobbing nymphs.  The 5/6 wt was supposed to test out at a true 6 wt (ERN = 6.5) so I thought it would be a great big water nymph rod or a nice streamer rod for trout.  It is.  I put my Velocity 3.5 on it with a 6/7 short head spey line that I use on my 11'9" 7 wt.  It roll casts nymphs and streamers with ease.  The wind was not a problem for casting for me.  The line is a bit heavy for the rod once you get out to 40', but I'd expect that.  I need to try it with another 6 wt line to see how it does on distance.  Overall through, I'm very pleased.  It would be a great steelhead rod for Erie and I might bring it home with me just in case.

For the rodbuilders interested, the blank is a dark brown, not far from the St Croix imperial series.  I did it with a yellow/olive/brown colored silk thread with no CP.  No tipping wraps, just the main wraps.  Not a million miles from the Sage SLT style.  H&H chrome strippers, single foot chrome fly guides, black aluminum reel seat and 1" fixed butt.

Thanks,
Rick

2 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Had to happen some time 2008/11/03 09:33:58 (permalink)
    Rick  Who is the Manufacture of the 5/6?   How many Pieces?    Sorry to hear you got Blanked but hey it happens to the best of us

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Had to happen some time 2008/11/03 11:31:50 (permalink)
    Hi skip,

The blank is a no-name import.  I bought it from a guy on ebay, but I don't have his contact info here at work.  It is comparable to a forecast or tiger-eye, only in sizes that they don't offer.

It is a 7-pc rod.  That is the only thing I'd change about it.  No matter how you break it down, you have uneven lengths.  Not so bad for what I'm doing now (rigging at the car and not car hopping spots) but for my style trout fishing it could get annoying.  I'd love it more if it were 6 or 8 pc.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Jump to: