casting outfit question?

Author
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/02 19:35:40 (permalink)

casting outfit question?

Ok I've used spinning and fly tackle for 40 years looking at picking up a casting outfit, my question is I'm right handed so I reel with my left hand and hold rod with my right why do you reel a casting reel with your right hand if your right handed does it have to do with controlling your line during the actual cast? And are the newer reels better than the old ones at preventing a backlash? thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

StreamWalker28
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: casting outfit question? 2007/06/06 12:12:30 (permalink)
    The new reels are cetrtainly better at preventing backlash but still require an educated thumb. They've come a long way with spool control. I use Quantum reels both spinning and baitcast and have found that their baitcasters from their accursit to the energy models all do well with spool control. I'm sure the other reel manufactureres do just as good as quantum when it comes to spool control. As far as what hand reel to get my suggestion would be to buy what's most comfortable. I'm right handed and own three left hand baitcasters. The left hand models feel more natural to me than do the right. I do beleive right handed people use the right hand model because of cranking power.
    Hope this helps. 
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: casting outfit question? 2007/06/07 09:30:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Streamwalker, sure helps seems like it would feel more natural to me also. tight lines!
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: casting outfit question? 2007/06/07 10:43:47 (permalink)
    i started out with spinning gear too.  fish with spinning only for 25 30 years.  then decided to get a BC to fish for pike, up north.  bought a standard right handed retrieve model and found it was quite easy to convert.  actually, it was kind of nice for a change of pace, to change arms, when casting all day.  then a couple of years later i bought another outfit with a left hand retrieve, because at the time i still used spinning gear most of the time.  but now i use about 1/3 spinning, 1/3 BC and 1/3 fly, i buy standard right hand retrieve because it feels natural to switch hands while casting.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: casting outfit question? 2007/06/11 21:42:44 (permalink)
    I'm right handed and after using spinning gear for years I picked up 2 left handed bait casters last year and am pleased with them.  Felt un natural to reel with the right.
    Jump to: