Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/31 13:38:01 (permalink)

Whose an ol' fart...

..that can answer me this:

In comparing the intro of xbows to the compound, which do you feel has had more resistance?   I do realize that the internet has created far greater exposure, but I'm curious what guys used to say about the compound.  Tradtional archers, rifle hunters ... etc.   Share your experiences and if you remember some of the arguments that used to occur just before the intro of the compound.

I don't spend a lot of time on a lot of forums, but the topic of xbows has sparked something I've never seen on forums before.  It seems, ALL whitetail deer hunters have an opinion.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

5 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Whose an ol' fart... 2008/10/31 14:24:38 (permalink)
    That's a hell of a way to start if you want to get any information from the older, wiser, group. Having said that, so far I haven't heard much of anything in the pro, con argument that is much different from what went on for years after the compounds were invented. Do you realize the damm things had a 30% let off, why, any 10 year old could shoot one. The compoundguns did greatly improve accuracy and range and allowed you to shoot a heavier bow and with less practice. The number of people taking up archery and the deer kill did go up although most hunters were prior rifle hunters. We said it would ruin the sport(which it didn't) we said they would kill all the deer( there were enough then that they didn't), we said lazy slob hunters would take advantage of it(some did), we said it gave an unfair advantage over the true archery hunters(It did and most of us joined in and bought one). It was actually a greater break from tradition and greater improvement in technology than the crossguns and was fought equally as hard with Pennsylvania being one of the last states to legalize it as we are seeing with the crossguns. 48 states have some sort crossbow hunting so you are fighting a losing battle. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whose an ol' fart... 2008/10/31 14:33:43 (permalink)
    You know I'm just pickin' on yinzers ol' farts.   I'll be an ol' fart someday too. 

I would be interested in looking at harvest stats of the past around the time the compound was introduced.   I used to have a link to harvest numbers from back in the 1900's to now for PA.   But without a number of participates for each hunting tool, and harvest BY hunting tool, the data loses its value .. for what I'm looking for.

I do have Ohio's data somewhere.  It does a substantial jump in harvest, when comparing the decade before and decade after 1976 (crossbow introduction), but it's not broken down by hunting tool.   It does show number of participates too. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/10/31 14:34:11

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Whose an ol' fart... 2008/10/31 15:09:43 (permalink)
    There is alot of good PA. info here from 1915 on.  Not sure if you are aware of this site or not?  www.fortgrundsow.com

My rifle is a black rifle
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whose an ol' fart... 2008/10/31 15:12:16 (permalink)
    hey, that's the duud from huntingpa.  Nice

thanks.  I'll have to take a look.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Whose an ol' fart... 2008/11/01 04:15:29 (permalink)
    I had just started hunting when the compound was introduced and I didn't start archery hunting until about ten years after, so I consider myself only and up and coming old fart, not an accomplished one.  S-10s post was interesting...the parallels between x-bow and compound.  One difference I see is that when the compound was introduced, the deer seasons were designed to allow for massive population growth (which the deer took advantage of), whereas now, the seasons are set up to lower population (which the hunters have taken advantage of).  Back in the day it was "one and done".  SO that made it easier on the deer to face this new technology.  I can see the X-bow having a more profound impact because of the increased harvest opportunities allowed today along with its ease of use.  As long as season length and opportunity for archery isn't compromised, I dont really care if they are legalized or not.  I imagine that if they are legalized, it will only extend my hunting later into my life.  You dont see too many 75 year old traditional archers.  But, if the X-bow is the only way I can still do it by the time I'm truly an old fart, that's what I'll be using.
    Jump to: