Shotgun Only?

Author
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/30 14:47:56 (permalink)

Shotgun Only?

If PA were to propose to go to shotgun only like alot of the other midwestern states would you oppose it or welcome it......and for what reason?

I myself would welcome it.  I think in conjunction with antler restrictions and having to worry about points to a side it just makes sense.  I also think with urban sprawl in PA it's going to come sooner or later.  Maybe in the units around the major metropolitan areas at first........maybe not even at all in the 'big woods' of Northcentral PA.......but I think sooner or later it'll be an issue for hunters.  And I can't say I'd disagree on such a move where safety is concerned.

Is it a coincidence alot of the midwestern "destination states" for big bucks are shotgun only?  Does it also have an impact on the number of big buck that make it through season after season?  I think it does.  I think it forces you to only take "closer" (relative term) shots which are lots of times within nose's reach of whitetails.  Gone would be the 150-300 yard long powerlines shots where deer really don't know you're sitting that far away.

Thoughts?

26 Replies Related Threads

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 14:52:40 (permalink)
    Allegheny County is already shotgun only and I expect that to become all of 2B within 10 years also because of the sprawl. I don't think it should apply to the rest of the state though.

It doesn't bother me about the shotgun only if they do pass it in 2B where I hunt, I already have a great slug gun which is very accurate.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 15:29:45 (permalink)
    Sure would put a damper on the guys in the high houses with the 7mm mags and  300's....I swear they'll shoot as far as they can see.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 15:40:49 (permalink)

Not saying it would never happen but like goby said I dont think it will  be an issue in most parts of the state. I really woudnt care if it did. They make some accurate slug guns now. I thought of buying one anyway for bear. Saftey wise it would be good. I dont know about you guys but its scary sometimes on the first day of buck hearing all those shots and hoping somewhere three or four hundred or more yards away they are not shooting in your direction.

post edited by rollcaster - 2008/10/30 15:42:23
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 15:46:22 (permalink)
    id be kinda ticked of. id have to buy slug barrel and a new scope. i dont got the money for that. plus what are you supposed to do with all ur rifles not use them and just let them sit.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 15:59:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

id be kinda ticked of. id have to buy slug barrel and a new scope. i dont got the money for that. plus what are you supposed to do with all ur rifles not use them and just let them sit.

Sell them for the shotgun
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 16:43:34 (permalink)
    I wish i could find the study on this I read a few years back.  An independent agency that was hired by a state suggested that shotguns could acctually be more dangerous because they travel further and retained more energy after a riquochete (spelling?) than bullets.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 16:44:02 (permalink)
    Since I live in Allegheny Co. all of my local firearm hunting prohibits the use of rifles.  I have no problem with it whatsoever.  I have been doing it for coming up on 11 seasons with a slug-gun.

I am not sure most people know this, a slug gun will kill deer just as dead as a rifle.  If you think shotguns are still limited that much in the range department, it is time to open your eyes.  With the new premium saboted slugs and a rifled barrelled gun you can expect to be able to shoot out to 200+ yards.  The same thing is true about the inline muzzleloaders and they are very accurate, ya just get one shot.  Obviously, if you are going to be shooting at longer ranges with any weapon much practice is needed with the weapon.      
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 16:48:27 (permalink)
    I did a quick google, here is an article about a study in Pa.  I do not think this was the study I was referring previously to because it was not conducted in Pa.
    articlehttp://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2007/03/29/new-study-shows-shotguns-are-not-safer-than-rifles-for-deer-hunting/
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 19:41:02 (permalink)
    what i dont' understand is slug guns shoot just about as far as a rifle these days so how are they safer?
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 21:39:46 (permalink)

It depends what rifle. True slug guns are better now but you cant compare a slug gun to a 300mag. Alot of people use too big of guns for deer.

post edited by rollcaster - 2008/10/30 21:40:49
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 21:49:07 (permalink)
    If PA goes to shotgun only, it wont be pretty

First Antler Restrictions, then crossbows, then shotgun only, the PGC will sell 200 licenses statewide
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 22:06:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

If PA goes to shotgun only, it wont be pretty

First Antler Restrictions, then crossbows, then shotgun only, the PGC will sell 200 licenses statewide

Well welcome to Allegheny Co. the land of shotguns, crossguns, and 80K doe tags!!!

It wouldn't be anything new for me.

The new shotguns certainly don't stack up with a decent high-power cartridge.  But, they have come along way since the days of shooting punkin' balls that had an effective range of about 20 feet...lol. 

They now make scopes for the inlines that compensate for yardages out to 300yards!! 
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 22:59:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

Sell them for the shotgun

they were my dad's and he died bfore i was born dont want to get rid of them

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/30 23:10:52 (permalink)

I'm the same way. I wouldnt sell my rifles even if I can't use them here.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/10/31 05:25:48 (permalink)
    If they go to shotguns only it will be a political move to satisfy the anti's and folks who don't understand guns. Shotguns are just as dangerous as rifles, travel nearly as far, ricrocket farther under some conditions and are as deadly when they hit something. Of course most of our gun laws are political and don't do what they are supposed to be passed for.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/04 06:30:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Since I live in Allegheny Co. all of my local firearm hunting prohibits the use of rifles.  I have no problem with it whatsoever.  I have been doing it for coming up on 11 seasons with a slug-gun.

I am not sure most people know this, a slug gun will kill deer just as dead as a rifle.  If you think shotguns are still limited that much in the range department, it is time to open your eyes.  With the new premium saboted slugs and a rifled barrelled gun you can expect to be able to shoot out to 200+ yards.  The same thing is true about the inline muzzleloaders and they are very accurate, ya just get one shot.  Obviously, if you are going to be shooting at longer ranges with any weapon much practice is needed with the weapon.      

Esox, Gotta agree with this! I own a Mossberg 930 field/deer combo. I sighted in the slug scope just the other day for fun. At at hundred+ yards, I'm beatin' the bull out of the target, (and my shoulder), consistently touching holes at 150. Man that was FUN! Which leads me to my question......

I had so much fun with that slug gun I would LOVE to deer hunt PA with it......but it's semi auto. Here is my "question": Can I modify the gun in any way to legally hunt PA with it? If I put a longer plug in it so it will only hold one shell at a time...does that fly? I know i am probaby reachin' here....just looking for some knowledgeable input....thanx in advance!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    pasurfer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/04 07:09:18 (permalink)
    The only way would be to hunt in one of the special regulation areas:

Special Regulations Areas: (All of Allegheny County in western
    Pennsylvania and all of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery
    and Philadelphia counties in the southeast): Muzzleloading long
    guns 44-caliber or larger, bows and arrows, manual or autoloading
    shotguns .410 or larger using slugs and 20-gauge or larger using
    buckshot. Buckshot may not be used in Allegheny County. Only
    bows and arrows are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows
    with a draw weight of at least 125 pounds, but not more than 200
    pounds, may be used during the regular firearms deer seasons,
    including the antlerless deer season Dec. 15-23 and Dec. 26-Jan. 24
    in WMUs 2B, 5C & 5D.

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/04 09:31:15 (permalink)
    2B and 2D should be shotgun only. I'm notsure about the other areas because I'm not familiar with how many houses are in those areas. In my opinion there would be alot less wounded deer and mistake kills if the rifles were taken out of the picture. There are way too many people shooting at doe from hundreds of yards away out of the stands in the middle of the fields. I would love to see how big the racks get with the antler restrictions and gund that only shoot 150 yards. Aside from the pleasure of having a higher number of trophy buck and less wounded deer take into consideration the safety. It seems that every other week I see another driveway being cut in! The big farms are slowly becoming smaller parcels and being sold for new houses. Also I think Sunday hunting should be allowed. With the cost of things every one seems to have to work as much as they can to make ends meet and it's taking even more time away from hunting. I'm fortunate I can hunt almost everyday for a couple hours. Also I think it is a must the Game Commission look at the shotgun only in Allegheny County. There are very few places around the City of Pittsburgh and surrounding Townships and Boroughs that it is safe for use of a shotgun. If they would change this alot more people would allow access to hunting there property. With the use of crossbows it seems they could eliminate guns and give everyone a fair chance.

I think the most important thing that should be considered is SAFETY! Then change the doe season back to 3 days seperate from the buck season. The if it's brown it's down gotta stop! We stopped doe hunting on the properties around my camp a few years ago and there is a noticeable difference in the herd size there now
    creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/04 22:16:12 (permalink)
    Not that I agree with it, but I wouldn't be suprised that they don't make it Shotgun only between Route 70 and Route 80.

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/05 18:45:22 (permalink)
    Mr Slickfish....

I read your question about your semi-auto shotgun..

I wrote to a source in Harrisburg and this is the reply I got for you...

Semi- automatic guns can be used for big game hunting if the gas port has been modified so that it will no longer load a round without manually working the action.

He would have to check with the Law Enforcement (now Wildlife Protection) Division in Harrisburg on the longer plug question but I doubt that   because it could be easily removed while hunting..

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/11/05 18:46:31
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/05 22:12:54 (permalink)
    Dr.,
       That was really kind of you to do what i did not think to do for myself. I thank ya kindly sir!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/06 09:28:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Semi- automatic guns can be used for big game hunting if the gas port has been modified so that it will no longer load a round without manually working the action.

He would have to check with the Law Enforcement (now Wildlife Protection) Division in Harrisburg on the longer plug question but I doubt that   because it could be easily removed while hunting..

doesnt that defeat the purpose of it being semi-automatic???

might as well just buy a pump

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/06 10:29:12 (permalink)
    I dbout, but do not know for sure, that many of the states that are shotgun only now, do not have nearly the type of bear hunting season that we have here.

What are the regs for bear hunting in Allegheny co?  Is that shotgun only as well?

I think that due to the large amount of bear hunters in the state, that throws a wrench into the works that some other states may not have.

What is the regs for NY as far as bear hunting goes for that matter?

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/06 14:43:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

What are the regs for bear hunting in Allegheny co?  Is that shotgun only as well?

Yes, same firearm restrictions apply.  I am half tempted to give it a shot this year, there have been some repeated sightings on an adjacent property to one of the ones I hunt.  It sure would be cool to chalk up a bear kill in Allegheny, I am sure it has been quite a while since the last one.
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/06 16:12:21 (permalink)
    Somebody brought this up earlier in the fall or late in the summer.  I'm with esox, I could care less if they do because I've been hunting with shotguns all my life.  I hope they don't do it though because there are a lot of dumb people out there in the woods of Allegheny county that don't think a shotgun slug will travel five hundred yards and take some very unsafe shots(that's just my opinion).  I think I agree with that study and it would actually cause more accidents. Not to mention it's insane how much sabots cost anymore.  three or four times what rifle shells cost. 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Shotgun Only? 2008/11/07 12:05:39 (permalink)
    Mossberg 500 Ported Rifled Slug Barrel with Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 scope shooting 300gr hornaday sst sabot rounds....100yrds dead where it stands...

Personally I think in some cases a slug gun is better than a rifle, but for a well placed shot on an animal over 100yrds away you cant beat 1 shot 3000fps out of a high powered rifle...Maybe what Pa should do in restricted areas is go to single shot rifles instead making hunters use shotguns only.  1 precise shot is alot more safe than unloading a slug gun at an animal

A modern inline muzzleloader these days are pretty darn accurate out to 200yrds...Im considering buying one for next season...Ive heard once you shoot one you will not look at a slug gun the same again. 
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/11/07 12:07:16

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jump to: