God made spiderwire on the 8th day

Author
Finster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/31 20:46:05 (permalink)

God made spiderwire on the 8th day

Just decided to respool. I went with 10lb stealth spiderwire. I'm no "spring chicken", I've been fishing for 30 years at least. This spiderwire just amazes me! This 10lb has 2lb dia!!!! Awesome! I have lashed the boat with 20lb! (snags and such)....  Does anyone have anything bad to say about it? (I have nothing but praise) Other than the price. Interested in your feedback.

20 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/05/31 20:58:48 (permalink)
    The super lines are about all i use anymore. I know i put stealth on one of my rods but after 2 years i'm not sure which one.

Anyhow the line on one of my rods seems to be much stiffer than the other super lines such as fireline that i have on most reels. It is a spinning rod so maybe i just notice it more, but on several light rods i have 4 or 6 pound fireline and they seem very limp compared to what i'm assuming is the stealth reel. Granted that line is a heavier line but to me it seems to be to stiff and noisy when cast. It sure is trong stuff though.

One word of warning if you've never used it before is if you try and break a heavy test line when snagged wrap the line around a dowel or something as it will cut your hand like a knife.
    post edited by davef - 2007/05/31 20:59:37
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/05/31 21:25:02 (permalink)
    Try Power-pro
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/05/31 22:29:40 (permalink)
    I know that the original Spiderwire would ruin nylon eyelets.  My bros. went all out and bought musky rods with titanium eyelets, though I just let it run through my Ugly Stick with no concerns.  I did notice after a couple years there was some grooving.  Then I stopped fishing for a decade or so, only to pick up that rod for steelhead, and broke it on a beast in the lake.  Connection... doubt it.  As mentioned, get out of the habit of trying to snap your line by hand NOW.  I sliced up fingers and at least one hand on the stuff.  Thankfully nothing serious, but I could see it happening eventually.   30 years of reflexes could cost you a digit.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/05/31 22:43:35 (permalink)
    Cut myself? been there done that years ago when it first came out. hurts like hell to. like a papercut almost.
    marsh rabbit
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 08:45:34 (permalink)
    Some of the down falls of this line are as follows.

marsh rabbit
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 08:56:58 (permalink)
    I have used this line for about 3 years now. This line is really great and i like it for many applications like perch fishing or walleye jigging in deep water. My buddy actually thinks you can feel the fish looking at your bait with this line. There a few different things that happen with the line.

If you are changing lures it is tough to continually tie them on because you need a knife or something to cut the line. nail clippers will work but not the best.

Tangles happen very quickly and are almost impossible to get out. When trolling with sinkers and worms the sinker sometimes ties a knotdue to the limpness of the braided line.

When casting plugs like rapalas for walleye you have to be careful not to pull too hard on hook sets or the lure will ill pull out of the fishes mouth if you pull too hard. Or you may come in with just lips! Some time a piece of mono on the end helps.

The first 5 feet or so tend to get furry after alot of use and will need to be removed ocasionally.

Drag tension become very important since there is no stretch in this line and a goo limber rod also helps.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 09:42:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: marsh rabbit

I have used this line for about 3 years now. This line is really great and i like it for many applications like perch fishing or walleye jigging in deep water. My buddy actually thinks you can feel the fish looking at your bait with this line. There a few different things that happen with the line.

If you are changing lures it is tough to continually tie them on because you need a knife or something to cut the line. nail clippers will work but not the best.

Tangles happen very quickly and are almost impossible to get out. When trolling with sinkers and worms the sinker sometimes ties a knotdue to the limpness of the braided line.

When casting plugs like rapalas for walleye you have to be careful not to pull too hard on hook sets or the lure will ill pull out of the fishes mouth if you pull too hard. Or you may come in with just lips! Some time a piece of mono on the end helps.

The first 5 feet or so tend to get furry after alot of use and will need to be removed ocasionally.

Drag tension become very important since there is no stretch in this line and a goo limber rod also helps.

Those dont sound like downfalls...  Stronger thinner line that is hard to cut? By the way a cheap $1 pair of scissors goes right through the stuff...

Good solid hook sets without throwing your back out

as far as the fraying is concerned...get some powerpro it is nothing like the fireline or spiderwire.

As far as the line being too limp and tangling, add a leader of about 6ft or so ELIMINATES any tangles due to limp line

Ive been running 30lb braid on my dipsy rods for the past 7 years without changing...Ive also been using 10lb powerpro on my other rods the past 3 years....id say i got my monies worth.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/06/01 09:44:53

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 09:59:13 (permalink)
    I use the Stren Super 30# / 8 dia.  It is great for detecting smaller 'eye hits when running dipsys.  Especially last year w/ the abundance of '03 fish that were 16 to 19". 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 12:17:35 (permalink)
    I really like the Spiderwire for fishing for pike and musky.. No need for steel leaders.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

willyfister
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/01 12:28:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I really like the Spiderwire for fishing for pike and musky.. No need for steel leaders.

Thats what my buddies would always say until they each lost a few decent musky's when setting the hook. After that they were using steel leaders along with the super lines. I love all the super lines, saved many lures when snagged usually the hook straightens before your line snaps, unless you got weak spots in the line from rocks and other things or didn't tie a good enough knot. I did have one fish break my 20lb power pro line down the river the other week. I think the line was banged up a little and my drag was set way too tight I seem to always forget to loosen my drag after I get snagged, live and learn.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/05 00:06:46 (permalink)
    Leaders are almost an unspoken must.  The problem I have with the "superlines" is that if you cast for musky/pike/whatever, enough, it will cost you some lures.  Eventually even the best casters get the start of an overrun or backlash in mid cast.  Most of the time these cast out, sometimes, however, with most of the superlines thinner diameter, when you are really trying to whip one out there, it will bind and snap and shoot the lure about a mile.  I did this 3 times in the course of 2 years musky fishing with several different lines, before I went and found the solution.   T.U.F. Line is a superbraid that is by far the best of the 15 or so that I tried.  Havent lost a lure or a fish due to line failure since.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/08 11:10:59 (permalink)
    I have use Spyderwire, Fireline, Proline and Power Pro.  I would have to say that Power Pro is my favorite.  I use 10 lb test on my smaller reels and 16 lb on the larger ones.  It casts like a champ, wears well and the knots stay tied.  I really like the Power Pro line and would recommend giving it a try.

pax vobiscum +
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/13 10:33:27 (permalink)
    Jerry Brown, TUFF Line, and Powere pro are your three best choices, in that order.  About the line snapping on a cast, I know what you mean.  I had 80# power pro on my surf casting gear and was whipping 6 oz. plus bait to get past the breakers and my Penn 4/0 backlashed bad on me and that leader bait and wait casted a country mile!  :-)
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/13 10:46:11 (permalink)
    I just tried the Power Pro and got 10lb test for my spinning reel for bass and such.  I do like it but had a lot of line twists and two big knots that resulted in a loss of a lot of line.  Should I bump up the pound test since the 10lb test Power Pro has a diameter of 2lb mono and is that why I'm getting these knots?  Anyone else have this problem?
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 05:52:20 (permalink)
    IUP, pretty good chance your getting those loops because you overfilled your spool. I had similar occurrence and simply removed some line, haven't had a loop since.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 07:06:07 (permalink)
    I think ready2fish is right on.  I experienced the same thing.

pax vobiscum +
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 08:39:35 (permalink)
    Well I filled it to the normal that I always do but I'll give it a try and see how it does...that normally would be the culprit but like I said, I filled it to where I always do so I thought it could be something else.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 09:09:38 (permalink)
    IUP30,

I just had two reels filled with Prower Pro and they cast fine for awhile and then, the dreaded knots.  I picked them out the first couple of times, but the last one I got was such a mess that I had to cut off and start over.  Since I cut off that knot, I have not had a problem.  Also, did you spool the line yourself or did you have it spooled on at a tackle shop?  I have usually had less problems when I spool up the reel than when I have it spooled on.

Also, have you tried to use a swivel to reduce line twist?

pax vobiscum +
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 10:10:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Bug - I spooled the reel myself.  I just think I was having the problem because my reel is mainly for a larger diameter line (6lb - 10lb mainly) and I think the small diameter of the 10lb test power pro (which is the diameter of 2lb mono) is the real culprit behind the mess.  I didn't use a swivel though as I was mainly throwing dingers and a spinnerbait when it happened. 
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: God made spiderwire on the 8th day 2007/06/14 12:34:59 (permalink)
    "Wind knots", one of the downfalls of braid on casting gear.  I use it on some of my trolling rigs for braid divers and flat lines w/ plugs (helps get more depth).  I also use it on my walleye jigging ice fishing gear as main line attached to a spro ball bearing swivel and then 3 foot leader of 12# test fluoro to a snap.

Jump to: