THE PRE-RUT

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 11:02:51 (permalink)

THE PRE-RUT

I talked to a few guys about what happen last week.I had 2 of them tell me that they already saw bucks chasing.I could understand small ones this early but the one guy told me he saw a 16 inch 8 point dogging doe.I been doing alot of reading about the colder weather we been having .Everything i read said the rut gets in full swing when the hours of daylight get shorter(november 2nd ).The cold weather just help us out because they chase more in the daylight hours.Does the cold weather have any effect on the rut starting early?

9 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/20 11:56:02 (permalink)
    Cooler weather can trigger more daylight activity but a doe in heat is going to get bred no matter what.  The rut starts when a doe comes into heat.  A few doe get bred before and after the majority.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/10/20 12:00:10

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/20 12:42:36 (permalink)
    I read a doe will come in to heat the second full moon after the fall equinox.I think november 12 is the day.What i want to know does the cooler weather trigger something in the doe or not?The intensity from the moon brightness does something to there eyes to send them in to estrus.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/20 12:46:55 (permalink)
    The cold weather increases the intensity of the rut and extends it into the daylight hours more(remember they can't take off their winter coat) but as Silver says the rut goes on weather or not.
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/20 12:49:39 (permalink)
    Here is my feeling on this. I have read alot of books on this and watched videos, went to speeches. I am trying to tell you I have done my research on this....

From the time a buck loses its velvet, hes ready to go! Bucks now are always looking for Doe's. but now they are still in there normal routine. I think on oct. 30th through Nov, 10th is going to be your prime time of chasing. But i would rather hunt them now then when they are chasing.
    Why, well when the buck has only one thing one its mind, it's really not going to stop for anything. (not saying that I haven't been successful when the chase was on) Right now they are trying to be the dominant buck in the areas. The does will start coming into heat soon, just remember every doe is different and will come in at different times the ones that dont get bread well thats what they consider the second rut.  The daylight does have something to do with it. Here what I would do and I am doing.... I always bleat and grunt every 10 to 15 minutes. Hit active scrapes hard, work the rub lines. For the rublines whatever side the deer is rubbing is usually the way he is traveling. Ok i could go on and on......
    Just do this and you will be OK. So far I have past up 4 Eight pointers this year, I am looking for Mr. Big and he is there and he will eventally present a shot!  Just PM me if you have a question.....
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/20 13:08:55 (permalink)
    Yeah I mean.

I always wait untill the moon is right to start hitting on chicks.....Don't you guys?

I've read it's not uncommon for mature bucks to start early.

Get in where you can fit in i guess
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/21 15:01:04 (permalink)
    I never said nothing about the buck waiting on the full moon to chase doe now did i?Read the statement closely an you'll see or look on the net and do some reading.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/21 15:30:06 (permalink)
    i agree with the lot of you. i think  it triggers something. pafisherman1981 hit the nail on the head though when he made the statement about losing the velvet and being ready to go. think about dogs or cats or anything. when a male dog is ready to go, he'll go after anything that walks. it doesn't even have to be real..i've saw dogs go after chairs, stuffed animals, cats, basketballs..doesnt matter..deer are no different. if he's wanting it, he'll try to get it whether or not she's ready or not...just my opinion though.
    wallyeye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/24 18:21:02 (permalink)
    ever watch your dog on a hot day??? whats he do?? he lays in the shade and all he wants to do is relax ,deer are the same way its hot the dont wanna move. thats what the cold weather is all about, you gotta figure they got winter coats on already and they get hot easy.. so i think and im not a expert i think you gotta have both things going on to see alot of deer movement the moon is the main thing but the cold makes them move.. the doe will come in to estraus regaurdless if its hot. the deer jsut wont be chasing as much..... just my opinion
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: THE PRE-RUT 2008/10/24 23:12:36 (permalink)
    It's show time,my son hunted and old stand of mine,yesterday and had 4 different bucks chasing the same doe on and off all afternoon a,4 pt and two different 6 pts,when shooting light was gone out comes the big one.He was in that stand at 6:30 this morning,the 4 pt and one 6 pt chased this doe all morning,he came my business and ate  lunch and was back in the stand by2:30,at 6:50 I get a call that he shot the big deer,at 7:15 the short 50 yard track job is over,nice 9pt with a touch over 16 inch spread,on Oct 14 th he got 8 pt in Ohio,he's done with his buck tags.This cooler weather has got them going,I usally don't start hunting till halloween day,but this year there starting a little early,the woods behind my house has rubs and scrapes everywhere.
    Jump to: