Question for the trout bums...

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/19 20:30:58 (permalink)

Question for the trout bums...

How do you guys change up your tactics when the targetted trout are predominantly browns and brookies as opposed to rainbows?   I'm talking everything from fly selection to presentation, to places they hold.  The weekend after next, I'll be fishing in an area known to hold more browns and brookies than rainbows, and I've noticed that techniques that I can usually get bows to go for got absolutely no reaction from the browns I've fished to.  The two brookies I've caught on the fly were pretty aggressive, and I didnt see either one prior to the strike, as I was fishing to a spot rather than to a fish.

Any suggestions?

5 Replies Related Threads

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Question for the trout bums... 2008/10/19 21:16:20 (permalink)
    When I was out fly fishing/spinning for native brook/browns/rainbows & stocked trout out east I came to conclude that rainbows/browns were more aggresive in the take, rather than brook. I fished well over 5 native spots, and 4 stocked lakes.

Whenever I was fishing a size 6 black Woolly rainbows absolutely smacked the fly. Browns wouldn't much different, though only acouple came to hand. I never once landed a brook on a Woolly, kind of surprised me. For fun I used a old muddler minnow pattern called the "Texas Rose" I believe, and the smaller rainbows loved this fly, tied on a size 10. Spinning I used little cleos 1/6 oz., gold, and did very well for all three species.

Many of the brooks that I caught came from slow retrieves either on tiny griffith gnats, or size 16 elk hair caddis. Awesome to catch brooks on dry flies! In between I got a few rare hatches of mayflies and did well on Adams, obviously. Based on what I saw I'd say rainbows/browns tend to strike more on agression, and brooks on just food intake (there's probably a better word for that..).

Fast retrievals w/pheasent tail nymphs produced a few here and there...

If you don't mind me asking, where are you headin?
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Question for the trout bums... 2008/10/19 21:39:46 (permalink)
    once again I completely disagree with flyfishermanPA

it all depends on what type of water and what type of population you are fishing
    For PA (and from what it sounds like you are going to fish)... you are most likely hitting pellet head bows, hold over/wild browns, and native/wild bookies

where are you fishing? (you can PM as not to "spot burn")
    any bugs?
    what type of water? large pools? riffle run? pocket water? limestone? tailwater?

IN GENERAL
    larger browns on larger water turn to nocturnal feeders and are more aggressive to take meat patterns
    brookies are more likely going to be in smaller faster moving water, they will be smallar fish and will smack hi-floating dries

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Question for the trout bums... 2008/10/19 21:56:37 (permalink)
    I havent fished this area in 3 years (actually a few different streams, IIRC, within a few miles of each other in northern Indiana Co.), but back then it was a sandy/freestone bottom.  A narrow stream with shallow riffles seperating small deep pools with lots of cover and structure.  It'll probably be some frustrating casting, but the upside is that I'll probably be doing good to see one other fisherman all day.  Another upside is that if I get too frazzled, theres 3 strip mine ponds within a 5 minute walk of where I'll be camping that are loaded with hungry, huge, and forgiving bluegills and LM bass.

I was thinking of trying to tie a few zonkers for the first time, as well as buying a few other streamers.  I'll be well stocked in standard wooly buggers in black, white, and olive as well.  I'll also have my hodge-podge mix of dries, and a nice stash of HE variants.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Question for the trout bums... 2008/10/20 08:33:22 (permalink)
    cold,

I don't change tactics with changing trout species.  A dead drift of an appropriately sized (for that stream) bug or a stripped streamer is going to get the same response whether it is a brown trout or rainbow.  On any given stream you'll have a certain set of lies that fish will hold in.  For the most part in PA, you're dealing with stocked fish in freestone streams.  There isn't much difference between any two freestone streams or any two stocked trout.

That said, I do vary a little bit in where I look for the trout depending on the stream.  If it is a sandy bottomed stream primarily and I find some rock, I'll focus on that.  If it is a muddy stream, there are normally trees and undercut roots/banks to focus on.  Rocky streams I concentrate on deeper flowing water and finding pockets.  Incidentally, it seems that in PA the fish will be stocked in partcular types of streams.  Brookies are the least hearty and will be in colder forested streams that tend to have trees and rocks.  Browns and bows will often be put into lower quality streams that don't have those features.  Changing tactics just happens to coincide with the type of stream and the fish that were stocked there.

I also change tactics when I'm fishing for stream bred browns and brookies, but only because I like fishing certain tactics on those streams.

Thanks,
    Rick
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Question for the trout bums... 2008/10/20 10:36:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

How do you guys change up your tactics when the targetted trout are predominantly browns and brookies as opposed to rainbows?  

I don't.

I change flies/tactics based on the water I'm fishing, season, bug hatches or lack of bugs.
    Jump to: