A Legacy

Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6354
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/18 21:16:55 (permalink)

A Legacy

The stops to tie on a new fly take longer now, and have become more frequent.  The hands don't seem to tie the knots like they used to either.  The paths along the creeks that I walked years ago learning, exploring and testing have been walked by thousands of feet since I started my adventure.
    And now, as I watch, a new pair of feet have taken up the walk.  Where there once was a very small person jumping about in the smallest pair of waders I could find; now there is a much bigger fisherman who debates the merits of breathables or neos,  studs or cleats, stocking or boot foot.
     The small hand that clutched tightly to mine as we crossed water up to his waist (my knees) is now a larger hand, almost grown, that reaches back to help and steady me when we have to cross a difficult stretch or climb an obstruction.
     The small voice that used to yell: "Pappy, wait up" now says:  "I'll wait for you  at the next hole".  And he always does.  He likes to lead now, where he knows the water.  He has developed his own techniques and new wrinkles on old techniques.
     He carries hemostats, and can unhook a fish just like a pro.  He's learned how to properly net a fish and how to revive them when you release them.  He listens and then speaks with some knowledge not common for his age.  He will offer a helping hand without being told to and will share whatever part of the creek he is on with others.
      He knows, but hasn't mastered, the fly rod.  He likes to noodle when the conditions are right and he will throw a plug for a bass with gusto.
     I think about his path and where it will lead him.  Will he always have the love for the creeks and those sometimes amazing moments when it is just him, on the creek, waiting and trying to time the rising of the trout under the laurel; to make the perfect cast and be rewarded with the thought "fish on!"
     I watch and wonder what kind of man he will become.  Will he have sons, or grandsons, and start them on the fishermans' journey, and give them the knowledge and the patience to appreciate a day, a rod and a perfect drift.  He knows that it's not about the keeping but about the adventure of the attempt and the occasional reward.  And the friendships made along the way.
    I watch him roll cast and mend line.  I see him look at the hatch, and try to match what is on the water; even if he doesn't know the names.  And I see him experiment, with the sheer abandonment of discovery.  Not knowing that "It can't be done like that!" And he fishes.
     Then I hear the voice again:  "C'mon Pappy!  You can't sit there all day!  There's probably a lot of fish just around this next corner!"   Yep!  just around this next corner.  Let's go see!

Illegitimis Non carborundum

9 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/18 22:53:01 (permalink)
    Nice Jack! I hope I.m around for my legacy.

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/19 01:16:13 (permalink)
    Good job, Indy. Thanks for the post.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/19 06:18:07 (permalink)
    Great read Jack  I hope I live to hear my Grandson say Pappy lets take my boat out for some Walleye..............

mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/19 19:05:59 (permalink)
    After meeting the young man at the onefly I think he's on the right path.You have done well.Every time I go fishing I think of times fishing with my Grandpap.He's gone now but everytime I go I know he's with me and I try to make him proud.Your young Skeeter will make you proud.....Mook14
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/19 19:18:44 (permalink)
    he was one impressive young man.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/20 11:25:14 (permalink)
    jack, i haven't known you very long but i can see he has an excelant teacher cause it shows. keep up the great work. thanx for sharing!!
    (my grandson calls me 'grandpa' now and it makes me feel so old when he calls me that!)

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/20 12:14:15 (permalink)
    old, i know the feeling.  i told my wife i wanted to play baseball in an over 50 league next year and she almost peed her pants laughing.  she reminded me that i have two grandkids, my body is falling apart and AARP is contacting me every week.  dang

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/20 13:07:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rapala11

old, i know the feeling.  i told my wife i wanted to play baseball in an over 50 league next year and she almost peed her pants laughing.  she reminded me that i have two grandkids, my body is falling apart and AARP is contacting me every week.  dang

Haha, that's grounds for dismissal!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: A Legacy 2008/10/20 21:16:59 (permalink)
    Jack it takes a big man to be able to see that it is the right time to pass the torch to the next generation.  I have no doubt that the little one has learned well at the hand of the master.  One day he will be telling his children and grandchildren about the wonderful days he spent with you and teaching them the secrets of the master angler.  Well done.

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: