Trout beads like em or hate em?

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/05 00:00:08 (permalink)

Trout beads like em or hate em?

At a local sporting goods store trout beads were on said 150 for 49 cents. I picked up a couple packs because I saw guys last year destroying steel with them. Now after trying to look up things on them I havent had much luck, but it seems like most of the hook ups with trout beads would be similar to lining a fish or hooking them in the outside of the mouths.

Any opinions YA or NA

Im looking for opinions not arguments or accusations bout people being snaggers for using them. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

11 Replies Related Threads

anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/05 00:18:09 (permalink)
    No I don't belive that. I think if you fished them like a bankie with a drift rig and a 1-3 oz sinker and a long lead then yes it probable would be on the outside and or flossed. As a Fly fishing guide I know that it is not a popular technique with the purists, but steelhead are eating. The fish key on eggs from the smolt age till their return in the river. So fishing beads under an indicator or on a pin rod with or with out shot (pref with a little) you will see that 90%+ of the fish are inside the mouth. I have been fishing them for about 5 years now and am on the troutbeads.com website if you need more info.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/05 23:09:16 (permalink)
    can you get finded for using them an if a warden sees u land the fish with the hook in the outside of its mouth?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/05 23:14:03 (permalink)
    What colors and style do you find work best?
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/05 23:34:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

At a local sporting goods store trout beads were on said 150 for 49 cents. I picked up a couple packs because I saw guys last year destroying steel with them. Now after trying to look up things on them I havent had much luck, but it seems like most of the hook ups with trout beads would be similar to lining a fish or hooking them in the outside of the mouths.

Any opinions YA or NA

Im looking for opinions not arguments or accusations bout people being snaggers for using them. 

Can you send me a pm and let me know which store as i'd like to try them also.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/06 10:24:47 (permalink)
    i carry a string of them with me. if i see a pair of hooters on the stream i throw them a string of trout beads. doesn't everybody?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/06 10:40:08 (permalink)

can you get finded for using them an if a warden sees u land the fish with the hook in the outside of its mouth?

Yes, Are they legal? I have a package I found at Joann Fabrics that look exactly like salmon eggs and would live to try them if they're legal.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/06 10:40:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

i carry a string of them with me. if i see a pair of hooters on the stream i throw them a string of trout beads. doesn't everybody?
    LMAO
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/06 10:45:28 (permalink)
    I used to use 5 and 7 mm plastic beads and heat them with a lighter.  Once they go soft, stick them to the hook and drop in a glass of water.  They are the perfect size for salmon eggs and you can get some unique colors.  They also sink at about the perfect rate with no extra weight.  However, the fish can feel that they aren't natural so I don't like to drift them.  I will use them for sight fishing when I can see the fish inhale it.  I've had a few days in crystal clear water where they have worked well.  I keep a couple in my boxes just in case.

You can line fish easily with them.  One time in the chutes about 6-7 years ago I tied one on as a dropper and cut the hook off just behind the bead.  I wanted to see if it was possible and how likely it was to line fish by fishing a dropper when they are that stacked (as well as what the effect of dropper length was).  Long story short there were no surprises.  Long thin line between flies with neutrally buoyant flies would catch (line) fish quite readily.  Since I didn't have the hook point on I didnt hook any, but you could see the egg suddenly 'pop' out of the fishes mouth as the current took the point fly down.  From that, I don't fish droppers when I'm sight fishing and I try not to add any extra weight on my line for the reason (it acts like a point fly, making your point into a dropper).

On their own, I don't think guys are trying to line fish with them for the most part.  But they do have a higher potential to line fish than other flies in my experience.

Thanks,
    Rick
    GoState!
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/09 12:05:08 (permalink)
    I recently tied them on flies, usually in pairs threaded on heavy mono with the ends of the mono melted to secure them after a friend of mine did it on some of his flies. I tied the pairs of trout beads on like barbell eyes, on several buggers to see if they work, kinda like an egg sucking leech pattern but with the two trout beads.  I have not tried them yet so i can't give an accurate review. 

You can get the trout beads at FishUSA.com.  They are at this link http://www.fishusa.com/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7B16DE6E03%2D88C8%2D4446%2D8328%2DED7A7932B6B3%7D

If anyone want to see one I can post a pic later.

Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/10/12 23:05:17 (permalink)

Any opinions YA or NA

Can you send me a PM also and let me know what store, seeing we are neighbors?

DAS BOOT!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Trout beads like em or hate em? 2008/11/08 00:26:28 (permalink)
    It is a form of "legitamate lining ". I know that doesn't seem to make sense. But the common technique WILL place the hook on the outside of the mouth. The difference being, that the INTENT is not allow the line to drift into the fish's mouth, and dragging the hook into the outside of it. The intent is to actually have the fish TAKE your bait, but to avoid the hook being taken DEEP along with the bead ( as is common with egg biters ). I has been used with regularity in places like Alaska, to PROTECT native fisheries.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: