easiest way to start flyfishing

Author
TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/02 19:46:25 (permalink)

easiest way to start flyfishing

Ive been flyfishing about 10 times and ive caught fish each time but only on drifting egg patterns,  what are some of the easier flies to use when starting out?  Does nymphing take more skill or is it pretty much drifting?  ive done alot of reading and flyfishing seems so complex with different insects and everything.  what are some of the basic flies that catch fish year round?  thanks for the advice. 

13 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/02 21:26:02 (permalink)
    Wooly Buggers!  Easy to tie, easy to fish.  In fact, its the only fly I've landed trout with.  Black, White, and especially olive.  Got a gold beadhead?  So much the better!
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/02 21:35:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Wooly Buggers!  Easy to tie, easy to fish.  In fact, its the only fly I've landed trout with.  Black, White, and especially olive.  Got a gold beadhead?  So much the better!

yep, not to get too complicated but buggers, egg patterns and things that look like worms like san juans.  that's about as basic as it gets
    Random Hero
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/02 22:10:15 (permalink)
    Black stone flys have been good to me over the years!! IMO indie fishing is a very good way to start off!! 
    theBamboozler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/02 23:39:54 (permalink)
    Pick up a steelhead fly assortment from Fishusa.com.  Those are some good flies to get started with.  You can pretty much fish any of those flies all season with some good results.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 09:19:18 (permalink)
    TransAmWS6,
         I noticed that your post was about fly fishing in toto not just for steel, so here's my take:  By now I'm pretty sure you understand the basics of fly fishing and the best way to get better is by  practice.  Now for a good selection of flies, In my opinion:

Streamers:  Wooly bugger  -  Olive, white, black
                           Marabo Streamer  -  Black, White,  Pink
                           Muddler minnow  -  Elk hair

Nymphs:   Bead head peacock
                        Hares ear
                        Stone fly - black, brown
                        Caddis  -  cream, black
                        Copper john

Dry Flies:    Mosquito
                          Adams
                          Pale Sulfur
                          Royal Coachman  -  one of the best all-around flies
                          Black ant  - fuzzy

Speciality:   Single egg  -  orange, pink, cream
                          Sucker spawn  - orange, pale orange
                          Grasshopper  -  Joes' hopper
                          Soft hackle brown body

Nymphing is basically little different than fishing a piece of worm or actual egg you just shorten your presentation and watch/feel your line for the hit.   Nymphing is usually the best way to start fly fishing, then move up to the dries.  Should take you about a week.
         If you don't already have gear  -  Start out cheap or borrow some from a friend to learn the basics.  Don't blow a lot of money on gear, you might not like it.  But do try to get some good flies.  Fish USA has some nice flies and some knowledgeable people who can help you.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/10/03 16:29:29

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 10:24:36 (permalink)
    to add,
    brown woolly buggers are good in dirty water
    dry= caddis are on almost every stream and river in p.a. have different shades and sizes.
    nymph= latex caddis, looks just like a maggot and are a killer fishing pellet heads

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 12:57:34 (permalink)
    Books are god but, there is absolutely no replacement for time on the water. 

Nymph fishing is not that hard to be proficient enough to catch fish, however mastering it can and will be a life long task.  For the most part entomology is not that important for steelies and stocked trout.  As long as you can distinguish between mayflies, caddisflies, midges, crustaceans, and stoneflies you pretty much have PA covered.  By doing some quick searches on them you will find most of them are easily identifiable.  There are tons of generic fly patterns to represent the various forms of aquatic life.  Pick up a rock, see whats on it, and match it with something that has the same general profile, size, and color.  Aside from spring creeks and some wild trout fisheries in PA that is the extent of entomology you need to help select the "proper" fly to use. 

These guys already gave you lots of ideas for flies to try.  Good luck on your soon to be newfound obsession.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 14:19:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

to add,
    brown woolly buggers are good in dirty water

On that note, I usually switch to white in the late evening to help me pick out my bugger in the water.  My success rate seems to always drop off in the late evening, though too.  Is this because white isnt a good color in twilight, or because the fish are sleepy?
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 15:40:05 (permalink)
    indsguiz, thats a pretty good list.  can i use all those flies year round or are some completely out of the question during certain times of the year?  thanks
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/03 16:44:52 (permalink)
    TransAm,
        Now I don't get into entomology like some but I'll usually observe the creek and see if there are any fish rising.  If there are, I'll first try a mosquito especially on small streams for brookies.  If I can observe any hatch coming I'll try to get as close as I can and then go for it.  Sometimes though, deliberately going against the hatch can be effective.
        Terrestrials or speciality flies can be used well almost all the time.  Terestrials: Hoppers, ants, crickets, bees; are usually targets of opportunity for fish and they will hit one (properly presented) almost any time since hoppers are big, and big flies mean less energy to get more food.  I once found a spot by a creek where a honeybee tree overhung the creek.  I tied on a bee pattern and had a great time.  You see bees will dump their dead out of the hive and the entrance was over the creek.
        Spawn type flies can be very good almost any time but are very effective when any species of fish is spawning.  That's when some fish put on the feed bag and hit hard.
         Your streamer type flies can be very good in moving water and when fished in a retrieve.  The muddler minnow, weighted and fished deeper under creekside structure can be a killer.
         I would advise buying a good book and just reading because all the information I have and others on this board have could occupy a post for days.
         I hope my little bit of info helps.   Dude just experiment and go for it.  Some of the most fun is when you get something to work when it shouldn't.  One of my best days was a day when the fish were hitting a tiny brown bug.  I didn't have any of the bugs so I just tied on a experimental coachman and I killed the fish; caught about 20 in 2 hours.  The rise and the strike are all it for me!.  Especially when I fool a big fish.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/08 16:09:32 (permalink)
    i'll show you some new stuff on saturday TA!  mending, droppers, swinging streamers, bring the 4 weight!  i've got most if not all the flies indsguiz mentioned.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: easiest way to start flyfishing 2008/10/08 16:11:28 (permalink)
    good cuz ill be wanting to try them out. lol, im pretty sure i mend my line already, lol just didnt know there was an actual word for it.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: easiest way to start fly fishing 2008/10/08 18:13:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Pick up books and read,read, read....

A good book to read is "Fly Fishing for Dummies" 
    I've referred to it often.
    post edited by beerman - 2008/10/08 18:14:25

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Jump to: