Scouting for sign

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/05 06:55:46 (permalink)
Dr. remember that discussion started about the lack of deer sign; meaning that there is few deer in my area. Your horse example is based on the assumtion that there are more animals than the land can support. I don't have that problem. My land will and has supported many more deer than I have now. I need more does to have more fawms so I will have more deer. If we ever get to the point of having too many deer; we will go back to killing does as we did in past years. Our regeneration of forest hasn't changed either.One of our guys has been thru the forest stewardship program; so that is a big plus in knowing what a healthy forest should look like. Ours has been and is in fine shape; just need some deer to populate it.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/05 21:58:38 (permalink)
I was basing my comments on your remark that you are not seeing the number of deer you expected to... EVEN after not shooting does for 5 years....

so if your land is fine...  what do you attribute the lack of an increasing herd (not up to your expectations) after 5 years of not shooting does ?????????????

Where are all the fawns going ?????
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/06 08:39:50 (permalink)
not to bring this in a new direction, but does anyone hunt where the EHD was last year?  I do and I can tell you, we are still feeling the effects.  It is still spotty about thwere the deer are, they havent migrated to new area much, I have had to really adapt where i hunt at.  you guys?
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/07 09:15:01 (permalink)
Dr. look at my post on 10/3 and I did mention that all land owners around us "hammer the does". That seems to be the # 1 reason for less deer in most of Pa. The PGC doesn't pull the trigger; we do. I talked to a hunter who was dragging out a small doe next to our property and the first thing out of his mouth was; " the game comm. has this hunting all screwed up." "Ther ain't no deer". My 15 year old grand-son looked at me and said; "pap, that guy didn't make any sense at all". If you have enough in your area Dr. to keep killing a few; I'm jealous. I sure miss the gang that used to get together for late muzzle-loader and drive deer all day.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/07 12:13:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

not to bring this in a new direction, but does anyone hunt where the EHD was last year?  I do and I can tell you, we are still feeling the effects.  It is still spotty about thwere the deer are, they havent migrated to new area much, I have had to really adapt where i hunt at.  you guys?

Yep, we got decimating around us last year.  Things look a little better this year but will take more time.

Unless there is too many deer in surrounding areas don't look for a migration to your area from does.  Yearling bucks that disperse to new home ranges should find your areas very attractive though.

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Scouting for sign 2008/10/07 14:06:46 (permalink)
henhouse...

still laughing at the remarks from the guy dragging a deer.... it's a shame we have guys that call themselves sportsmen and who say things like that.. gives us all a bad name...

My point was that you felt  that not shooting does was going to cause more deer to be in YOUR AREA.... I was just pointing out that that was not a sure bet... not shooting does does more to "hurt" deer hunting in an area that it does to make it better... and this has been proven over and over again for many reasons...

and just think of the meals of venison your family missed because the does were getting "HAMMERED"  at the neighboring properties.... and your thinking that it was going to get better on your porperty because of no doe hunting...

I LOVE venison and admit freely that I belive -- If I do not shoot it someone else will... so why pass on my meal so someone else can feed on it ????

ESPECIALLY.. knowing that passing on it is not going to automatically make hunting any better in my area...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: