4 pc fly rod question

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/26 23:48:08 (permalink)

4 pc fly rod question

can anyone tell me why so many rod manufacturers have gone to four piece rods as opposed to two piece rods?  is there a greater chance for breakage with a four piece?  what are the benefits of a four piece rod other than less space?  what do you guys prefer?

11 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/26 23:56:39 (permalink)
    Rapala,
        I was told that it makes transporting them easier and allows them on more airplanes.  Some makers are even going to 6 and eight piece so they can be carried on.  It does take away some of the action but it is also more convenient.  I have a 4 piece, a 6 piece and a seven piece.  I like the 6 piece best.  But I digress the answer is: because of space.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/27 02:21:21 (permalink)
    The 9' 4 piece in a tube fits in a cary on bin and meets FFA regs. With the huge push in fly fishing travel, these rods have become the way. The down fall to a rod with so many ferrules is the stiffness to the blank and hard spots in the bend. If you choose a quality manufacturer like SCOTT, you know Mr. blue lips heat tested every ferrule and the blank has been designed around the 4 pcs. A lesser manufacturer will roll the same blank or import the blank cut it and turn it into a multi piece rod, using the same blank as their 2 pc. These rods have a much higher chance to break and you feel the difference in the rate of return as well.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/27 08:44:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rapala11

what are the benefits of a four piece rod other than less space?  what do you guys prefer?

You got it. Space is the only benefit.
    On the down side, more ferrules mean more care in assembly and tear down. Alignment, tightness, stuck ferrule on disassembly, ect..
    I have this particular Scott 4pc 9 1/2ft 7wt that I had to send back once because the tip section came loose and broke while fighting a fish.
    The same thing happened again last year so I'm going to have to send it back again (one of these days).
    I found on this rod, I need to check for ferrule tightness regularly. This tip section seems to loosen after a period of time throwing weighted streamers.  

Gone Fishing
    bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/27 08:50:05 (permalink)
    i would agree your less expensive rods are prone to failure  on the four piece i still like my 4 pc redingtons for travel but like the way a 2 piece loads so inless im going out of state i still favor the 2 piece rods and will use them exclusively

any day of fishing is a gift
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/27 11:32:39 (permalink)
    In addition to packability, my cynical self sez it's partially a marketing scam. It's only a fishing rod, after all, so there aren't many things you can do to persuade people that it's new and improved. So they make multi-piece rods for fishing hipsters.

I still like my 2-piece rods. Less ferrules to worry about.

But I do have a couple 4-piecers. I think my 4-piecers cast better with one line size heavier than they're designated.
    cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/29 12:12:33 (permalink)

I just ordered a 4 piece 9' rod over a 2 piece

i just can't see myself hauling two 4.5' pieces around very easily

i had to go with the 4 piece

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/29 14:04:19 (permalink)
    The only disadvantage I see in a 4pc rod is the extra weight for the 2 extra ferrules.  I agree with most here as long as you buy a decent rod a 4pc sacrifices virtually nothing over a 2pc in terms of fishability and durability.  I own a handful of both 2pc and 4pc I always find myself reaching for the 4pc rods for ease of transportation.
    joedv1218
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/29 18:01:06 (permalink)
    I just bought a Sage Fli 8 wt. 4 pc. Is it a good choice?

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/29 18:29:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joedv1218

I just bought a Sage Fli 8 wt. 4 pc. Is it a good choice?

It is a little stiff for my tastes as far as a steelhead rod.  It is certainly a good quality rod, and as long as you prefer faster rods you should be happy with it.
    Bigdadyrods
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/09/29 19:18:22 (permalink)
    I find the 4pc just slightly stiffer than the 2pc in the same models.

Big D
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: 4 pc fly rod question 2008/10/01 12:28:16 (permalink)
    On a well designed rod, you will not notice any difference between a 2 piece model or 4 piece model. Whether that difference is weight or action. The functionality is the same.

If ferrules are loosening, which does happen every now and then on even the most expensive multi-piece rods (even 2 piece), add some wax or grafitoline ( http://www.flugor.se/bild_arkiv/big_2622.jpg ) 

Spey fishermen using double handed rods actually tape the ferrules on their rods so they do not loosen. Why? Because during the cast, the blank actually twists and the ferrules loosen on their own. It's not the rods fault, only simple "physics" of the cast, if you want to call it that.

The same thing happens with single hand 2 piece, 4 piece, 6 piece....rods. Your casting stroke causes the ferrules to loosen. Again, we're talking about good quality rods, not 4 piece shakespeare rods from Wal Mart.

If you are a caster that brings your backcast to the side, then over the top for the forward cast, you are more prone for ferrules loosening than others. During the transition from the horizontal to verticle position of the rod, the blank twists due to the weight of the line and the directional movement of the rod. Do this at home or on the stream and watch the rod itself. You will be surprised.

The weight? The weight is not a factor. Look at any of the new 4pc-6pc model rods. The Orvis Helio's is a great example.  The 9' 10wt saltwater model is 3.5 oz...... Rod design is critical.

Action? What do you like? Slow, Moderate, Fast? You can find any action you like in a multipiece rod. Being broomsticks is a false stereotype.

Sales dictate the manufacturing and development of new products. Manufacturers sell more 4pc rod models than 2pc, and 3pc are becoming more endangered every day. This is what most people want, not what the big boys are forcing on us.

Best,
    Fisher

Jump to: