Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/26 18:36:44 (permalink)

rod building.

gentlemen,
    For those of you who are in to rod building I have a retorical question.  Have we (you and I ) gone over the top with trying to see how fancy we can make a rod? 
     I mention this because I just got finished with a rod I made for my grandson. And it has eveything on it he asked for; and it is a beauty in it's own right.  But the longer I looked at it the more my eye was drawn to the simple beauty of a fine piece of bamboo.  The straightness of the grain and the character imparted by the node swirls.  So I went high tech/Old School with one I am working on now.  I chose a fine blank and added a nice wooden reel seat with titanium fixtures, then I choose very good cork and started from there.  I used single foot guides so there wouldn't be a lot of wraps and then wrapped the things in metallic thread (that liked to break halfway through the wrap).  It is an experiment in taste.  I think some people will like the look and some will find it compromising.  And just for comparison I made a second tip with conventional guides and wraps.  (in the same material)
     The rod seems to have more of an airiness than a similiar rod and I was wondering if anybody else has gone down this path before and what the reactions to the rod were?
    Please don't ask for pictures:  I have dial-up and it would take all day IF I knew how to do it.  But I may have it at the "One Fly" and the Night Before.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

7 Replies Related Threads

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/26 22:56:46 (permalink)
    I like simple elegance. The designs I have been most attracted to have barely any design to them at all. I can also understand not wanting to detract from the beauty of a natural building material. The rod I built has no markings on it but one accent wrap on the first ferrule. I don't think anybody has ever even looked twice at it.

I am impressed with the skill and craftsmanship shown in some of the builds I've seen, they just aren't for me.

anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/27 02:23:46 (permalink)
    Well I have a beautiful rod hand wrapped with color matched anodized guides and the whole bit. Way to heavy to fish with all day. My favorite rod is one that is light weight. When I learn how to do that I will try again.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/27 08:51:30 (permalink)
    anadromous fly,
         All my rods are hand wrapped, and hand finished, never dipped, hang dried.  Just like in the bad old days.

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/27 16:06:09 (permalink)
    Indsguiz when I started building rods I made them as fancy as I could 2 & 3 different colors on each guide & always a fancy butt wrap, then I found out I was killing the true action of the rod & making them way to heavy.
    now I use one color of thread & most of the time single foot snake guides & no no no butt wrap. much lighter & faster action & I like the simple look.
    just my 2 cents
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/27 18:14:05 (permalink)
    Dave,
        As always, I appreciate you comments!  I cna build em any way somebody likes but from now on I'm thinking one color, maybe tipping and nothing else too fancy.  Unless specified.

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/29 04:42:16 (permalink)
    When I was building for others, I'd do whatever they asked.  Normally it was single color wraps tipped with a contrast color on each end of every guide.  I don't use color preserver, and have only used it on one customer rod.  My own rods are even more simple.  One color wraps that either blend or lightly compliment the blank color.  I'll put tipping on the tip top wrap (sometimes I don't put a thread wrap on the tip, just a tipping wrap) and on the stripping guides.  Of course the wrap in front of the grip and the lonely wrap 4" or so in front of that get tipped.  That's about it for me.  I stick to chrome guides mostly, though I like gold on the right rod (dark maroon pac bay with candy apple wraps and old gold trim).  Reel seats are simple and grips are all cork.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Bigdadyrods
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: rod building. 2008/09/29 19:29:23 (permalink)
    For the most part, the first custom made rod or two, it seems that the customer wants something special to separate his rod from the store bought.
    After having a few rods, that person realizes the difference in the rod itself and not the custom designs that were earlier picked to grace the blank.
    This is just the path that one goes down while using a custom built rod. If you look at my rods, you will see that same path. The last one I built was a St.Croix IV 9'6" 8wt with no CP,greem thread to blend in, no trim, and no butt wrap/design. Less is better

Big D
    Jump to: