dropper lines

Author
Matt4:19
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/24 09:40:16 (permalink)

dropper lines

I've never tried using a fly tandem or dropper line before, but read where many of you guys do.  Do you just tie a piece of leader to the hook bend on the first fly, how long a piece would you use, do you just use the same size leader or line as your lead fly is attached too.  Does it matter what fly is the lead or the trailer (size wise).  do you have to weight this piece of line.  Any help would be appreciated....

4 Replies Related Threads

rureadytofish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: dropper lines 2008/09/24 10:33:58 (permalink)
    I used to use droppers all the time. I find myself using them less as time goes on. First off just tie leader onto bend of hook. Use about 18". I use a slightly lighter leader weight, that way you don't lose two flies. The reason I'm getting away from tandem rigs is that it's hard to fish one without foul hooking alot of fish. Also I really believe I get a more natural drift when I use only one fly. It's also easier to change setups, which I seem to do very often.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: dropper lines 2008/09/24 10:48:44 (permalink)
    I fish a dropper all the time when I nymph. Tie the tippet onto the bend of the hook, and tie the next fly about 10" below the first. I tend to tie on the larger fly first, and drop the smaller fly below. I place the weight about 10" above the first fly, and never use weight between the flies.

If you place too much distance between the 2 flies, the shot you place on your leader will not keep the lower fly on the bottom where you need it. Keepin the flies closer to the weight allows the weight to take them to the bottom quicker.

One reason I keep the flies so close is so you can present both flies to the same fish. If you fish with a lot of distance between the 2 flies, a single fish may not even see both flies.

If you are mending your line correctly, you'll get a natural drift, no matter wether you're fishing a single nymph or a tandem.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: dropper lines 2008/09/24 11:34:43 (permalink)
    I'm similar to thedrake here.  I fish two flies fairly often, especially on streams where I'm prospecting more than targeting.  Similar setup but with two things to note.

First, you can use the distance between them to your advantage.  I will often run a pretty heavy fly on the point to get the whole setup down without shot and then run an (up to) 18" dropper to a small fly.  That will let the tiny fly drift naturally in deep water where a lot of shot wouldn't have worked as well.

Second, I don't tie to the bend of the hook anymore.  As mentioned above, it is a pain in the butt if you want to change the point fly.  If I'm going to be fishing the same point fly all the time, I'll tie to the eye of the hook instead of the bend.  If I am prospecting then I tie the dropped line to the tippet above the point fly.  I use a standard improved clinch knot but instead of using the eye of a hook use the line as your standing post.  Then when you want to change the point fly you can slide the dropper knot up the tippet, change the point fly, and slide it down again.  It also helps when you are trying to untangle to have the dropper line separate from the main leader.

Thanks
    Rick
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: dropper lines 2008/09/27 02:34:42 (permalink)
    The primary fishing method on my local stream is nymphing. We tie a piece of 3x to another piece of 3x and leave a tag to tie in a small fly, something in the sz 12 range. Then tie on a large fly like a sz 4 stone and off the hook on that with some more 3x we tie a fly in the sz 8 range. deadly effective, but really can only be used from the boat. I like to have about 18" between flies and about 7 feet of tippet from the indicator to the bottom fly.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

Jump to: