Author
sunfishhunter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/22 21:07:34 (permalink)

Peters Lake

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to take my daughter there for a few hours of fishing.  I was there very briefly a few months back, basically just to see what it was like.  Does anyone have any information on the species in there?  I did see few very small bass and blue gills in some weeds along the shore.

Any information would be great.  I'm hoping to be able to do some decent fishing while she's watching her line.

10 Replies Related Threads

DaGman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 05:51:52 (permalink)
    If your talking about the ponds by peters creek (across the iron bridge) i can help you out, personally i have fished them myself only a few times (as i specifically target the creek) but from my own experience & word of mouth, i understand that there are some rather large bass & big carp in there, tons of panfish, and prob would'nt doubt a catty or two, perch, crappie, etc, etc. Now just a lil fyi, have patience, as these ponds are filthy with moss & seaweed, kinda hard to find any spots where it is somewhat clear enough to fish, gl.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 08:57:43 (permalink)
    sunfish

Are you talking about the Peter's Township Lake park?  I've been there twice, and got the skunk on both occasions.  Here is a link of a past conversation there.  To me, it is likely a lake that you will need to figure out a bit before destroying the biggins (like any)...  It looks like it has potential.  If I lived closer to it, I'd put some time into it.  For me, there are a bunch of other more productive spots (to me) in the same or similar distances.  I'd be in paridise if I owned one of the homes with shore access though.  But that would be the case with just about any water though...

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_88451/mpage_1/key_peters/tm.htm#88813

Good luck,
    PT

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_88451/mpage_1/key_peters/tm.htm#88813
    sunfishhunter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 09:33:30 (permalink)
    Yep, I'm talking about Peter's Lake Park.  It looks really nice, lots of brush along the shores.  Was hoping I wouldn't see the word skunk anywhere.  You know how a 4 year old can get......am I ever going to catch any fish?????
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 10:30:38 (permalink)
    i would say skunking is very possible...
    the easily access spots get a lot of pressure

for a 4 yr old, i don't think that it is going to be the fast action needed...
    she will get to see a lot of dogs walking around the lake
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 13:06:24 (permalink)
    i was there in my kayak about 6 weeks ago. me and buddy got 4 largemouth. all small though.....seen tons of smaller bass cruising around though.  i will prob try it again later in the year when temps go down a little, maybe next month.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 21:00:18 (permalink)
    I'd always suggest North Park Lake for a 4 year old.  The chances of you running into something nice might not be all that great, but she'll likely keep you busy rebaiting and taking off small gills and crappie.  There are playground areas all around the park too, for a little break or if the action isn't as heavy as she'd like.  Not sure when they'll get the trout stocking, but might add the bigger fish that you're looking for.  If you try there, stay a bit closer to the dam, as the shallower areas are filled in with seaweed.  At least they were a few weeks ago.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/23 21:20:58 (permalink)
    Since he is in Wash Co., a trip to Cross Creek Lake is a better bet. They have one of the highest populations in the state(if not #1) for sunfish. See the PAFBC lake rankings. I can attest that that lake is full of sunfish and crappie and has a lot of access compared to Peters. There is a nice little handicapped dock your child can fish off of, with a bait shop right up the street.

I take my daughter(7) to Peters and she gets bored after 2 hours, less if the fish aren't biting. Worms on a bobber and spilt shot, the best we have done is in the spring with 4 panfish caught in 4 hours. Last 2 times we got SKUNKED.
    hooked1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/24 08:44:49 (permalink)
    Goby

Have you taken your daighter to Croos Creek?  I thought there was limted access to the shore at that lake.  I would consider taking my boys.

Hooked1
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/24 12:21:31 (permalink)
    Yes, but I have a boat. There is a good bit of shore access in the first cove by the road and up behind the rangers cabin there is a trail with a few spots.
    sunfishhunter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Peters Lake 2008/09/24 21:59:39 (permalink)
    I ended up taking her to North Park as usual.  On the way, I stopped at the bait shop right next to the lake and asked what people have been catching.  He told me he wasn't really sure, but the lake has walleyes, bass, tiger muskie, trout, etc.

Man, this is my 4th trip up there, I was fishing for bass and my 4 year old daughter went at the blue gill.  I was out fished 14 to 1.  (I managed to catch a blue gill by accident).  She had a great time, so I can't complain!

Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll have to check out Cross Creek one of these days with her.
    Jump to: